Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Headlines That Are A Slap In The Face

Micah

Although I have been unemployed for the past three months, I still keep my morning routine of walking the dogs, reading the news, and working out.

H E R E is the top story on Reuters this morning.

What the hell? Where the hell are these jobs? Not in the freaking Midwest!

Tomorrows top story: "Blue is officially the new pink".

These are government stats - they are a lie. Nothing new with that. Governments lie. There is an election coming up, can't be showing bad numbers for the moron voters.

Also remember, there is no inflation.

What the hell? Where the hell are these jobs? Not in the freaking Midwest!

Most of those jobs were farm labor. There is an uptick in jobs this time of year, like there has been every year since the colonies were settled.

FWIW, I *am* starting to notice a labor pinch of technical professionals. My company, related businesses, and customers are having a heck of a time filling jobs for manufacturing engineers and the like.

With the decline of American automotive, it's no surprise at all to me that things in the midwest are tough. If you want to move, Orlando has a very active job market right now.

Montana has a 3.5% unemployment rate but most of the work is in building trades or jobs in the $7-$8 an hour range. Teachers are in the $25,000 starting range. A large percentage of working Montanans report having 2 jobs to get above the poverty level. Montana ranks high in the number of people over 65.

PB I hate that you are still not gainfully employed.

You know how to use an adding machine?

Heck we cannot beg, borrow, or steal anyone with any kind of accounting job experience/education in our labor market. I know of a few accountants, CPA's, and some with a HS diploma plus experience that are job hopping every year for 5-20% pay increases. Nurses and medical professionals are still finding jobs with big salaries and sign-on bonuses around here too.

Read deeper into the demographer's numbers and you'll find lots of people moving South & West for better jobs and better climate.

Edited by Middle Man

*sign* It is just very disheartening to have worked my ass off in college, have several degrees, and have Lowes or Staples turn me away. It's coming down to selling my competition gun and pulling out of Nationals.

Shit, I'll gladly serve burgers and fries to still be able to go to Tulsa!

Crap, I went and got a college degree AND a business school certificate (1991 and 1994, respectively) and REALLY began to have trouble finding work at that point: Suddenly I was labeled "overqualified." Man, there is NO SUCH THING as "overqualified" for a job. Now "under-qualified" I could understand, but OVER-qualified...?? The employer should be honored that I applied for his/her job (with a few extra skills that they'll end up getting for free)!!!! There is no such thing as "overqualified." It's illogical!!!!

<rant coming>

Please note that I am STILL unemployed... having just "lost" a Federally-subsidized, minimum-wage position (lost on a technicality--hardly my fault), and the host employer wouldn't hire me even though I was better in every way (and I mean that) than several other people attempting to do the same tasks as I was (building/refurbishing computers, customer service, and other things). This was a situation in which I'd sunk tons of money and 2½ years of effort. Gone... completely gone.

Obviously, there are employers who make HORRID decisions about human resources and are often blinded by twisted or archaic paradigms about how to handle people. It's preposterous to the Nth degree. Many employers don't seem to know an asset from an ass. Seriously. How in hell can a hard-working, educated employee cope with THAT...?!?!?!?!

</rant sorta over... for now>

Bender, my love, I most profoundly feel your pain. And have been for decades.

Flash back to 1982, when brand new Geologist were hired right out of school, only to have the market crash in late 83. Yep masters degree and a years experience= jobs at temp agencys and bulk mail houses. When the stock market went soft in the mid 80s the joke was that the brokers were in BIG trouble because all the geologist already got the good jobs at McDonalds...funny part is that it wasn't that funny. Now in the intelude, we never graduated any geologist or petroleum engineers, so guess what we can't find anymore?? Good jobs and NO-ONE to fill them....just like McDonalds right now. I worked off shore for more years than I would care to remember in some down right bad places just to say hey I got a job. I feel for all you you "over qualified" people...that has been the story of many a life, I know it was mine!! KurtM

You just have to know where to look and fit the niche. I work for a technology company in the Kansas City area that is growing VERY quickly. I think they are looking to hire 100 new people in the next 12 months alone. :surprise:

Edited by KSmoker

Hey, Sig Lady....the problem YOU'RE having is your town is awash with UofO students and grads who just want a big enough paycheck to buy weed and pay their share of the rent. It's kinda like illegal aliens....it just drives down wages, benefits and everything else.

Brian brought up an EXCELLENT point... about the gobs of Univ. of Oregon grads (and students) here, and how utterly and completely prejudiced the local employers are to these people. If you don't have a degree (of any kind) from the U of O, you automatically go to the bottom of the list. I've already encountered this. :angry2:

The trouble with constantly being turned down for work is it's cumulative and then employers start asking why you COULDN'T find work... For pete's sake, what'n hell do you TELL them?!?!?!?! So you start piling up years of temp' work, self-employment, short-term disaster jobs, and so forth. You begin to look like a vagrant on paper and your skills start going down the toilet because you can't even access a job to stay marginally in touch with skill-building. It's the old 'downward spiral' thing that can bury you eventually. :blink:

I know all this sounds negative, but it's what's happening to me and to other people I've known. One runs out of niches to fill... and one's options tend to narrow a bit as time passes, depending on your age, possible physical limitations and your original skill interests. It's all too weird. I can see why SOME people go nutz or kill themselves and others. The insult becomes too great and one's investment goes down the drain. One feels unwanted and useless if one lets it get too far gone.

kurtm made excellent points, too. Thanks.

PS--When I worked the oil patch, some of my favorite folks were the geologists.

Job market is good in So Cal. The plant I work at had a job opening for months for a qualified electrician/instrument tech. All the electricians were getting taken by the oil refineries.

Engineers are also in high demand. It seems not many engineers want to move to So Cal because of the high cost of living. Not very gun friendly over here either.

I read Microsoft will be opening an office in Canada because the US immigration laws are preventing them from bringing in more foriegn workers.

MS story link

I can't find qualified applicants. I have two positions open. I need people who can get a DoD security clearance. They must know large ethernet and SONET networks, network security, and test equipment. Shooting guns, riding motorcycles and playing golf are desirable, but not required.

It could be the ear-rings ..... is it the left or the right that signifies you'll never show up to work on time ?

I took out the visible bling two years ago...and I am NEVER late for work! Especially now :D

Bender, my love, I most profoundly feel your pain. And have been for decades.

Siggy, although I am very sorry to hear that others are having this problem, it makes me feel better knowing that there are other talented, educated individuals that are going through the same mess.

I am still waiting on that resume of yours... ;)

Email coming!

Back from Wilmington...I met with and shook hands with a handful of people. Several asshats at establishments that could strongly benefit from my expertise were rather snotty and short with me, but that's how it goes. I have a good vibe from two of the places that I interviewed at...hopefully some fruit will bare from it. I fortunately received a call from the mental health clinic that seemed promising in Cincinnati, and was informed that although I had the credentials and qualifications for the job, it was given to someone internally. They'll, "Keep my information on file in case something else opens up," but I'm not going to hold my breath.