Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9 MM Production load

j1b

Just curious - has anyone tried loading minor with N350 or N105? I ask because I've got the free worlds supply of both at the house here - knowing they are primarily open powders but thinking there's no reason it wouldn't work in minor.

I've got the option for either Nosler 135 gr bullets, or Nosler 115 Gr. bullets - again it's that free worlds supply issue.

I do have a little N340 floating around. N110 as well.

So, if you any of you have any experience with N105 or N350 in 9MM minor I'd appreciate your insights. At the end of the day, pre-nationals, I'm not really convinced any one load is going to be that much better than the next. Only if the results I hear here are disastrous would I consider other options.

Thanks

J

Jack, the biggest problem you may have is unburnt powder residue....... ;)

If I remember right Angus used to load N350 with 125s, but went back to VV320 due to recoil.....

I would load them both up with both powder and bullets to 135-140 PF, and head to the range and shoot drills....

See what you like, then try other powders like 320, Titegroup, Clays, and W231 and see what YOU like and shoot best. You been around, you know the drill...... :rolleyes:

The two that I see people shooting the most is a 125 wtih TG (4.2) or VV320..(dont know) or a 147 with 320/310.

Give em hell!

DougC

I shot some N105 with 115's. Loading long, 1.200", a full case got 163 PF out of a 5.5" barrel. Charge was around 10 grains and trying to push the bullet out of the case......

Trade some of that VV gold for a good production powder, you can probably get a 2-for-1 deal or something. I like Clays in 9mm production loads.

If I remember right Angus used to load N350 with 125s, but went back to VV320 due to recoil.....

I would load them both up with both powder and bullets to 135-140 PF, and head to the range and shoot drills....

DougC

Correct you are. He started with N310 and it shot very soft but accuracy was not there. Then he found the best accuracy with N350, but too much recoil. He settled on N320.

Use up the N340, then the N350, then trade the N105 for some Solo 1000 or Titegroup.

Thanks for the feedback. No need for a lot of recoil in production so I'll go buy some powder at the store.

Was just wanting to unload some of this freakin' powder. I know there are threads on 105 shortages - this is like inventory hell. Some don't have what they need. Some have too much of what they don't need.

It's like a looking glass into the world!

J

N320 or Titegroup are probably the keys... If you don't mind the extra oomph on the recoil, N350 is apparently quite the accurate load.

I'm pretty sure you can find someone within driving distance who would happily buy both stocks of powder from you, Jack, and then you can just buy tons of N320 or something :D

Shot some loads today.

The N350 with 115s was not exactly unpleasant - and the gun tracked pretty nice. I was actually surprised. It did have a little punch to it - but it wasn't too bad.

So I'd found a batch of N320 in the other powders - decided to try that too. The N320 with 135's was pretty darn nice. That is likely the load I'll be using. I bought a can of tightgroup though and will load some BB's with it to see if there's any difference. The N320 with 115's was only slightly different than the 135's. Felt a little whipier (is that a word?). Honestly - I know some people are shooting 115-124s and some are shooting 147's - I was just all the sudden felt the 135's were going to be a great compromise between the "going low" crowd and the "going high" crowd.

Mike Luttrel let me try some of his loads - which was Clays with 147gr. bullets. That was just too soft for me - not nearly enough whip in the gun (again - for me). That was confirmation that I definitly am not looking for the softest recoiling load. I like a little kick in her - especially if that means a faster cycle. I tried Mike's loads a couple of times through the process - just kept going back to them to see if my last impression was right. Every time I was like - damn - that is just too soft. Even on doubles or transitions it wasn't working out.

So - my best guess is that it'll be N320 with 135's or Tightgroup with 135's. With where I'm at - I think either load will work. Though tightgroup with a 115 shouldn't be passed up right?

I don't have all my gear here yet so it wasn't really a practice session. And the gun is shooting a little left right now. But all in all, things felt ok. Not superb. I know I need to step things up. But overall - a decent first outing with the blaster.

J

Edited by j1b

I was just all the sudden felt the 135's were going to be a great compromise between the "going low" crowd and the "going high" crowd.

I've often wondered why you don't find many people in the 130-135gr zone... ;) I think they can be a tad harder to find, but.... There are so many choices in bullet weight, finding one that tunes the gun to your liking just shouldn't be an issue... 124s too snappy? 147s to soft? Bammo... 135, right in the middle... ;)

Mike Luttrel let me try some of his loads - which was Clays with 147gr. bullets. That was just too soft for me - not nearly enough whip in the gun (again - for me).

Just out of curiosity, how much clays was he loading with the 147s? I wanted to try 147s. Thanks.

Was just wanting to unload some of this freakin' powder. I know there are threads on 105 shortages - this is like inventory hell. Some don't have what they need. Some have too much of what they don't need.

If you wnat to move it out...put ad into the classified section and let the buyers know they can pick it up in Tulsa. (pay for your gas :) )

Mike Luttrel let me try some of his loads - which was Clays with 147gr. bullets. That was just too soft for me - not nearly enough whip in the gun (again - for me).

Just out of curiosity, how much clays was he loading with the 147s? I wanted to try 147s. Thanks.

Jack,

3.8 of Clays is too much, start with 2.8 and i would not exceed 3.2 with a 147.

Thanks DWB. I'll edit the post.

Have any of you experience metering issues with Tite group? Man that stuff gunked up my meter today. I got 100 rounds loaded but it was painful. Any issues for anyone else? If I can't get this fixed that will definitly solve my debate of TG or N320.

J

What kind of meter do you have? To me the only virtue TG has is that it runs thru a meter very well. The small balls don't give me any trouble. BTW, I'm using a Hornady measure with pistol inserts.

I've loaded a hundred or so .40s w/ TG (when I was working up loads - settled on N320). I didn't have any problems. Sounds like you might have a bad batch of powder, Jack??? Many folks on the forum load TG w/ no issues....

J,

no sweat for me metering TG, thousands of rounds, always works on my 650.

did you sell/trade off all of that 350 yet? if not i may be close enough to do a link-up in the next two months if you are still interested in moving some of it.

Donn

Jack,

3.8 of Clays is too much, start with 2.8 and i would not exceed 3.2 with a 147.

Roger that. Thanks. I still have a ton of Star 147s from my "Lightning Bullets" days so I figured I would try them. I also have a ton of my 122 Grn LFPs that I need to do something with. Wonder if there is any worry about shooting lead out of an M&P. Guess I'll ask this on the Technical forum. Again, thanks for the heads-up.

Ordered a new powder measure today. I figure that has to be it - I just called Dillon and told them send me a new unit. Nothing else would explain the experience I had yesterday.

J

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, for your information I dont recommend using less than 3.0 gr of CLAYS or any other similar flake powder in the Dillon measures with lead bullets. It is a nice load with lighter bullets, like the 122lfp with 3.5 or more. With the 147s It bridges and you will end up with poofer that wont have enough Umph to seal the bullet in the barrel and you will have to punch them out with a squib rod........very painful lesson. I use CLAYS for everything but not with 147s in the 9x19. Use this at your discretion.....

DougC

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks DWB. I'll edit the post.

Have any of you experience metering issues with Tite group? Man that stuff gunked up my meter today. I got 100 rounds loaded but it was painful. Any issues for anyone else? If I can't get this fixed that will definitly solve my debate of TG or N320.

J

I have had only one problem with Titegroup. Like most of the other guys I have metered thousands of rounds of Titegroup thru my Dillon 550 and it meters within 1/2 of 1/10th gr unless I get some type of contamination in the powder hopper. If that happens the powder bunches up on the plastic cross member and I get light loads. It might be static electricity or just gunk. Either way I tear it down and clean it with denatured alcohol and all is well with the world.

If you are using the new powder measure from Dillon (with the gold coloured double actuator) try putting the powder bar spring back on. This causes the powder measure to thump back into position, this settles the powder into the bar way better, especially with Clays (flake) or N320 (extruded) type powders.

Plus buy the extra small powder bar. It meters down to 1.0 grains of WST etc perfectly, WITH the spring on, with pretty much anything.

I get very consistant powder throws. My 38Super NRA AP loads run 9fps extreeme spread with TiteGroup, over ten rounds. :surprise:

• 8 months later...