Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ghost holster and para or maybe 1911 frame

adiksaputok

A friend got DQ'd in a local speed shoot match at Prado....after all the RO's command load and make ready he locked his holster and on the sound of the beep he draw his PARA (locked ghost holster) and the gun goes Bang! while in the holster. He is suspecting that his trigger was too light but i tried it on my para with a heavy trigger we found out that on a lock position holstered and gun on ready with the safety down just tilt the muzzle forward the gun goes BANG all the time Good thing nobody was hurt that day. i dont know if you experienced this.......Beware ghost and para or maybe 1911 frame don't match......

Correct me if I am wrong, but the 1911 style gun should never be placed into the holster without the safety off...... :blink:

If the gun went off in the holster with the safety engaged then the safety on the gun is defective. If the safety was wiped off while the gun was still in the holster that too is unsafe....I just dont see how it is the fault of the holster...

I am not trying to be critical, but it sounds like unsafe gun handling to me. You should not be wiping off the safety until your gun is towards the target. I have no interest with the Ghost except I have been using one for several years and have never had any problem with the holster, the pinned version and now the new locking version.

<flame retardant suit on>

When people try to push the envelope at speed shoots sometimes they round the corners too much too fast, and stuff like this happens.....almost always operator error, and I have been one of them myself in the past. :ph34r: I have a new block coming to try with my single stack as well. I will try to duplicate the above situation with a cocked/locked gun and see what happens.

Regards,

DougC

+1

I have a ghost and an STI 2011 gun, and have not had any problems, nor have I heard of this happening to anyone else.

Might be an isolated incident.

I am using ghost on my S_I and it is my favorite holster so far :blush: the problem was seen on para frame. there is no problem with 2011 S_I frame. i will try to take a video of it on para and 1911 frame.

and with regards to the safety Doug C your are right safety should always stay on until you are ready to fire but some how that day he might disengaged the safety while holstered and try to wrestle the gun out of the holster and goes off.

I have been using a Ghost with my Para-framed ltd and open gun for a few years. As Shred pointed out, it ain't a perfect fit but it does work. And I have also given myself the "Ghost Wedgie" more than once :rolleyes: without trying to shoot my foot. I suggest that your friend verify the gun is safe and do a bunch of dry fire to practice not releasing the safety until the gun is on the target.

Glad everyone is safe this time.

Later,

Chuck

I have been using a Ghost with my Para-framed ltd and open gun for a few years. As Shred pointed out, it ain't a perfect fit but it does work. And I have also given myself the "Ghost Wedgie" more than once :rolleyes: without trying to shoot my foot. I suggest that your friend verify the gun is safe and do a bunch of dry fire to practice not releasing the safety until the gun is on the target.

Later,

Chuck

I also use a ghost and a para. The fit isn't perfect but as stated above the safety should not have been off in the holster. My para will wiggle in the holster but its not going to go off until the safety is disengaged. Again I don't see how its the fault of the holster. The gun stays there in the locked position but if you grab it and yank it it will unseat but still stay in the holster until you unlock it. When you unlock it after that it would fall out. I think its all about the square trigger guard.

Later,

Chuck

I just tried a bunch of "Wedgie" draws with the safety off. The hammer never dropped. This gun has ~ 1.5# trigger. Maybe something ligher could be a problem but I really don't think it's the holster.

edit: The trigger is an STI for Para.

Edited by ChuckS

OK it just came to me after all the post that it is not the holster its the operator's fault by disengaging the safe while holster My Bad...but the reason for me on making this post is nothing against the holster but only trying to share what happened so people will not do this and to prevent any accident from happening. lesson learned "do not activate safety until you are ready to fire the pistol" be safe........anyway here is the link for the video.......i know...i know this is not the way you draw the gun from holster but no matter how you do it just DON'T DO THIS please.....BE SAFE.....

That's scary.

Holster or shooter's fault, i wouldn't want that to happen. I also have an ultimate ghost holster for my SPS Open pistol and i was intending to get another one for my P16 to replace my old Bianchi Hemisphere. I guess i would have to look for a different holster then. Thanks.

I've always been concerned about the Ghost holster but I've been using mine for a few years now without any problems. However, I would NEVER disengage the safety before the gun is in front of me and I'm ready to pull the trigger. I would think we all practice this way and not to disengage the safety before the gun is out of the holster. I wonder if the shooter simply forgot to engage the safety before he holstered it. I don't think the problem is with the holster but more of the shooter. Hopefully this is an isoloated incident.

I agree with Batangueno, regardless if it is the shooter's fault or not, I wouldn't want my holster to be able to engage the trigger like in the video. <_< I feel safer if the holster never touches the trigger no matter how you draw the gun out of it. We are only human, and we make mistakes. Maybe the Ghost is designed specifically for the 2011 and not the 1911.

I checked my Ghost with a Colt 1911 and a P-14......if the safety is off it does drop the hammer :surprise:

I know that the safety shouldn't be off before you're on target...and you wouldn't draw a gun at that angle....but it still makes me nervous. I wonder if there is a fix or should I just go back to my Safariland 012? I do like the way the Ghost positively locks the gun.

I have and use an original (pin style) Ghost with my SV and they obviously will NOT do that.

If you cannot adjust the holster to hold the pistol more securely that that, you should get another holster.

I checked my Ghost with a Colt 1911 and a P-14......if the safety is off it does drop the hammer :surprise:

I know that the safety shouldn't be off before you're on target...and you wouldn't draw a gun at that angle....but it still makes me nervous. I wonder if there is a fix or should I just go back to my Safariland 012? I do like the way the Ghost positively locks the gun.

square trigger might be the fixed. i been wanting to do it on my para but i cannot afford to spend $150....for it. :blink:

I've heard of one too many AD's where a tired shooter tried to put the gun in the holster, it got stuck somehow and, without thinking, they took the safety off and tried again to want a holster that can do that... knocking off the safety and trying again is a fairly common "shooter-reflex" when something doesn't work, but when you run that cycle at the wrong time :o

Defense in depth is where it's at. Todd once told me he makes sure his holstered pistol doesn't point at his body parts and I take that advice as well..

I talked to Chuck Bradley sunday about my para and the ghost and he said SpeedSec has a 1911 holster now. Chuck got one in and it was gone that quick. He said that the 1911 fit very secure. I plan on trying one of them when he gets more in.....if you guys don't beat me to it :-)

I still like my ghost/para combo though.

A friend got DQ'd in a local speed shoot match at Prado....after all the RO's command load and make ready he locked his holster and on the sound of the beep he draw his PARA (locked ghost holster) and the gun goes Bang! while in the holster. He is suspecting that his trigger was too light but i tried it on my para with a heavy trigger we found out that on a lock position holstered and gun on ready with the safety down just tilt the muzzle forward the gun goes BANG all the time Good thing nobody was hurt that day. i dont know if you experienced this.......Beware ghost and para or maybe 1911 frame don't match......

I have the Para/1911 clone model and I can't reproduce the problem no matter how I try. The holster still seems completely safe.

Could the problem be that you and your friend are using the Para and 1911s with the S_I model?

-Sam spiteri

Thank you for the warning! I also shoot a Para out of a Ghost. I wonder if its because the holster is built for a square trigger guard and the Para is rounded. I will ask/discuss with Angus directly.

• 3 weeks later...

Guys, FWIW, I have been using a Ghost new Singlestack unit for the last month, getting ready for the Steel Challenge. I was warned from Angus that it doesnt work as well as the STIs, but for me it is fine. There is some back and forth(front to back) wobble, and yes, I tried the safety off hammer drop and it does that too.

Using the holster at the range or at home dryfiring I cant get it to do anything but work properly. Just standing and drawing, which is what I intend to use it for, it works great so far.

I hope someone finds this helpful.

DougC