Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR's in CA.

SV'init

I know this may be questionable and I dont want to say anything that could be constued as off topic or illegal in any means.. I am very interested in shooting 3 gun, but with the 10 rd. top loader versions, how does one get into 3 gun in CA?

You can top load your AR but you will not be competitive.

I have see one at a match and it was not a pretty sight.

Shooter was frustrated, slow, and it effected his shooting.

Never saw him shoot it again.

Guys with the SKS and stripper clips were much faster.

There are several other ways to shoot 3gun, Ruger Mini 14, stock or and ASI conversion. Kel-Tec SU16 CA. M1A, M1 Carbine.

Off List Lower, using the U-15 stock or Monster Man Grip. (see calguns.net) has all the information

for the Ca. legal AR. With the U-15, Monster Man Grip or KEL-TEC you can use your pre ban mags that you own.

Don't have to top load. And yes, I have tried all the above except the M1A and M1 Carbine.

Kel-Tec is ok to 150 yards, gets ugly past that. ASI Mini is very accurate, good mags and mag changes are issue with the Mini's.

A few shooters I know are using the U-15 stock and really like it. I plan on going the U-15 and JP upper route.

Edited by Trail3

The of list lower thing is a real gray area. I would look at using an M1a and maybe shoot heavy metal or look a some alternative rifles. Volquartzen ia making a 223 autoloader that looks like a big 10-22. Uses AR mags. Not sure if it is in production yet but looks promising. I also saw a Beretta 223 rifle that has promise. No pistol grip and runs on AR mags also. Most of us shooting 3gun in Calif have been doing it since before the ban.

Like Chris, most of us have just been doing it for a while.

That said, if given the current situation, what I'd do is go with a Mini-14. Mark Turrin, a buddy at Richmond uses one very successfully and it's pretty sweet. GM Charlie Granger made an extended mag release for his that you thumb and it's pretty fast too. Just comes down to mags.

After that M1A or Mini-30 would be the way to go.

As stated, the off list lower is a mild gray area. It's totally legal, but understand you're at the whim of local LE and while you're in the legal right, it's just not a fun fight to face sometimes.

Rich

When I lived in Cali, I bought an off-list lower. It's a grey area and you're stuck top loading. I said screw it and moved to Washington. If I stayed in CA, I'd look at a Kel-Tec or Mini-14

A couple of clubs in So Cal area are adding a California class. 10 round pistol, 10 round rifle and a 6 and 1 shotgun pump or auto. Shoot the same match but scored against like firearms.

Palm Springs is going to hold a basic 3 gun class to get people that haven't shot 3 gun or haven't shot it for awhile to see what it's all about.

The of list lower thing is a real gray area. I would look at using an M1a and maybe shoot heavy metal or look a some alternative rifles. Volquartzen ia making a 223 autoloader that looks like a big 10-22. Uses AR mags. Not sure if it is in production yet but looks promising. I also saw a Beretta 223 rifle that has promise. No pistol grip and runs on AR mags also. Most of us shooting 3gun in Calif have been doing it since before the ban.

I spoke with Volquartzen recently................If you ordered one now, you might have it in a "year"..

Nice rifle too...!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

The monsterman grip is the way to go. I was a bit worried that the weight of the 18" JP upper would make the rifle hard to handle without a pistolgrip, but I've shot a couple of matches with it now and it seems to work just fine.

• 10 months later...

I am looking at getting into shooting 3 gun and will be going with the Mini-14... I found this thread while doing a search. I will talk to Charlie about the extended mag release, but can you tell me what the ASI conversion is. I am not familiar with that.

I am looking at getting into shooting 3 gun and will be going with the Mini-14... I found this thread while doing a search. I will talk to Charlie about the extended mag release, but can you tell me what the ASI conversion is. I am not familiar with that.

PM "sargenv" on the forums here. He'll give you a lot of info too on the ASI conversions. I believe he has one. Too, he's a Mini-14 guy as well.

Rich

I've been been down this road. Where the Mini14 can be made to be competitive, you can do as well for less with an AR.

IMHO, a CA compliant AR15 is a much better way to go. The only issue would be magazines.

I have an ASI Mini 14, great rifle, mine is # 51 on their package choice.

Got it before all the off list lower started. Can hit an eight inch plate at 355 yards.

I would go with the OLL. Mag changes are faster and mags of better quality are available.

AR platform is much easier to change options. I now have a U-15 stock, DPMS hi rise with JP 18" mid

weight barrel, JP adjustable gas block, Cooley brake, JP trigger. With the U-15 stock I can use all my preban mags.

Great gun also.

So, for in state guys it sucks, but how does an out of stater come shoot a California 3-gun match, with his own "leagal else" where pistol and rifle? This question has kept me from traveling to the "golden State for any kind of shooting event. KurtM

So, for in state guys it sucks, but how does an out of stater come shoot a California 3-gun match, with his own "leagal else" where pistol and rifle? This question has kept me from traveling to the "golden State for any kind of shooting event. KurtM

c'mon and play, kurt...but i believe you gotta use our mags...

Not to turn this political but....get out and vote, join the NRA and be vocal or we all might be figuring out how to be competitive in the new Airsoft competitions.