Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pointless Crimes

austinkroe

I got up this morning to go shoot the local USPSA match and I was happy as a clam because I was going shooting. Well, I get to my car, on the street, to put my stuff in it, and my day was ruined (@645AM none the less)!

Some criminal stole the date stickers off of my plates. I bought the things a month ago. I can't drive around with "expired" tags so I have to go through the DMV hassel. On top of that I had to file a police report in order to get a discount on my "new" stickers.

I had to go to the police station.

I will have to go to the DMV.

I had to buy those little plastic covers for my plates so this doesn't happen again.

Total I expect to spend four to five hours rectifying what someone maybe made ten bucks off of.

It ruined my day of shooting. I just couldnt get it out of my head. Someone stole my STICKERS!

I don't know why but it makes me so much more angry than other things that have happened. The pointlessness and triviality of it all just gets me worked up.

I hate going to the DMV.

Argggg.

I wish I could find the criminals that do this and just give them a good hard slap.

My STICKERS, what has this world come to.

:angry2:

edit: to add angry face

Edited by austinkroe

Jeez, I'm convinced people will steal just about ANYTHING--valuable or not. Obviously, registration stickers ARE valuable and fraudulently save the thief a year's worth of reg' fees (assuming they can get away with it that long). Now, those stickers DO have little serial numbers on them, and that may be the only way to trace them... but it might be a longshot to find them, and it may not be a priority of every cop-stop that occurs on the road. But if you've filed a theft report, the DMV should replace them at almost no charge. <_<

After you put the new stickers on I suggest cutting them with a razor blade in a cross hatch pattern. That way if some one trys to take your stickers again all they get are little pieces.

After you put the new stickers on I suggest cutting them with a razor blade in a cross hatch pattern. That way if some one trys to take your stickers again all they get are little pieces.

that's the norm here in memphis, tn

lynn

What I cannot believe is that one would notice them gone, I never look at them till they need replacing :mellow:

I have to parallel in the street every day here in KC so I check my bumpers for damage whenever I get in my car.

Dude, that totally sucks. Stuff like that can get under my skin too....I wanna smack the thief for you!

Most of the stickers I've seen in recent years have been a design that there's no way you can take them off in one piece...they pretty much crumble.

Sorry ...I hate thieves

Many years ago someone was stealing beer from my dads cooler while we were at the lake.

Sooo he and my uncle peed in beer bottles all day the re capped them.....next morning they were gone...after that no more were taken :cheers:

Jim

I second that motion. I hate the BMV more than most but take heart in the fact that some police officers will actually take the time to check the registration number on the sticker after thay stop them for expired tags. I do it all the time and have recovered several stolen stickers. Although it won't do you much good, I like to get these "little" **itheads and charge them with a boat load. You would be surprised at how many equipment violations that can be found on your average car. :rolleyes:

Argggg.

I wish I could find the criminals that do this and just give them a good hard slap.

My STICKERS, what has this world come to.

:angry2:

edit: to add angry face

I'm with you, My stuff may not be worth very much, but it's MINE.

I don't need some toilet paper emulating a$$wipe taking it from me. :angry2:

dj

ps

I think I would have waited until Monday to go to DMV.

First let me say I am sorry some low life stole your sticker.

Now why the h3ll did you not go to the match and just deal with this little annoyance later? I mean would the cops there impound your ride and lock you up if they noticed you had an expired plate? In my neck of the woods you would get a citation indicating you had a month to get it taken care of.

First let me say I am sorry some low life stole your sticker.

Now why the h3ll did you not go to the match and just deal with this little annoyance later? I mean would the cops there impound your ride and lock you up if they noticed you had an expired plate? In my neck of the woods you would get a citation indicating you had a month to get it taken care of.

Sorry I didnt make that clear.

I did go to the match. I was just so mad about it that my concentration was not all there. The shooting did not cheer me up.

Then I went home and did the police report. I am going to the DMV tomorrow

Virgina used to have a City/County sticker, some city/counties still do. You had to pay your property taxes to get them, so the sticker would run about $300. Making them a thief target, the stick it on slice it up with razor blade was common practice, now that the stickers are going away the renewal sticker on the tag serves the same purpose as your property tax has to be paid to get them and like you found out they are a target for thieves.

FWIW, In Pennsylvania they can run your tag to see if it is paid up.

I got pulled over for some silly thing and they told me they ran my tag before they got close enough to see if the sticker was in place anyway.

I put them in the middle of the plate on some of my vehicles, that saves them from the tin snip guy.

Ted

I hate it when they do that! I've had my sticker stolen twice. Once they just cut my tag in half and it was a vanity plate too! It said Aikido-1. They cut off the sticker and the "A". I drove around for two weeks as "ikido-1," not very flattering but somewhat accurate.

Edited by Hey QuicksDraw!

I went to the DMV today. $5 for parking downtown. Damn! $3.50 to replace the stickers. Double-Damn! The DMV only takes cash or check niether of which I have on me. $3 in fees at the in-house ATM. Triple-Damn! An hour of my time. Quadruple-Damn! $6 for plastic covers for my plates. I can live with that.

All in all I spent three and a half hours and $17.50 on this fiasco.

After all is said and done the people at the DMV tell me that this happens all the time and that it is the homeless people doing it and selling them. See if I ever give them any change from now on no matter how nice or funny they are.

Now if I can only figure out how to electrify my plates to a very uncomfortable level. That and install some sort of camera. I want to catch them just on principle.

I am sorry to hear that this is not the only person to happen to. I wish the state would do away with the tags or at least come up with a way to not cause me any trouble when this happens.

Someone committed a crime against me and I had to pay for it. Just doesn't make sense.

I am still angry.

On a side note: I sent my gun off to Tripp to be chromed and maybe having my gun be all shiney next week with make me happy.

Edited by austinkroe

I grew up in Philadelphia, PA - a common practice of snipping the plate. I just never put the sticker on my plate. Instead, I stapled it to my registration. Of course, I can get pulled over, but all I have to do is show them the registration with the sticker and they are fine with that. In the years that I've done this, I've only been pulled over once for that reason. Showed the officer the registration and sticker and he went on his way.