Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Minor

Micah

I am a die hard fan of shooting Production. I love the low cost (relatively) on ammo and my Glock 34. Recently, I have been playing around with Limited at club matches, and am fascinated with the different and new things that I am seeing in my shooting.

The Indiana Sectionals are coming up in two weeks, and I am seriously considering shooting Limited minor. What are your opinions on this?

I played around in Limited to force myself to shoot for all A's, as opposed to hosing down the COF with bullets...a lesson that I learned this past weekend at a club match. Once I had my head out of my arse, I shot some amazing HF's and stayed with the pack in points while having great times.

Just a though... :)

Any and all thoughts on this are completely welcome. Please tell me what you are thinking!

If your not concerned what minor might do to your score, and you shouldn't be, shoot it. Have fun with it.

I screw up mag changes when I move from one division to another and back. That's me, and I have brain

issues sometimes.

Jim

Edited by JimmyM

Shoot with the same mindset with a G35 and (IMHO) you will place higher in the overall.

But - - Whatever rings your bell. ;)

And that would be the kicker Merlin. I do not own a G35, nor do I reload for 40. All of these things are paralyzed by my continual search for a place of employment. I refuse to borrow guns from friends, rather prefer to breed familiarity with my own gear...

And unfortunately, as the Mrs. knows, it takes a great amount of effort to "ring" my bell :D ...

...although having 24 rounds as opposed to 10 is doing the job quite nicely at the moment :)

PB, want2race is a buddy of mine and he started out shooting a G34 in limited because that is what he had. He did quite well with it in fact. I think it made him very accurate because he had no choice. He then moved on to a G35 and eventually a Edge.

Would I switch to limited if production was my thing right before a major mid season, no probably not. Would I go after it end of year first of next season, hell yeah!

At KAPS I typically shoot Limited and L10 because I need the mag change practice. The hard part is going from a 20 round mag, para, to 10 rounds in the mags. Once I get my L10 up to a B I'll probably start shooting Limited and open as the shooting is still the same.

Minor would kill me, I am normally just breaking 90% of the available points shooting major power factor. IMO, you would have to be up near 98% of the available points as an average to not be giving up more than you can gain by shooting minor.

All I can tell you is there are a few people who shoot Limited minor at our monthly matches and do quite well.

When I start shooting production I'm defintely buying at least one mag extension to try Limited minor.

After years of counting from 8-10, twenty-four rounds is gonna be fun.

A bunch of us were talking about this the other night while waiting to RO at a safety course. I think that the extra rounds will certainly help on some stages and perhaps give you some options that the round-restricted won't be able to use.

If your accuracy is good then I say go for it. It'll be interesting to see how you get on, I keep thinking that it may be a worth trying myself at some point... I just can't get used to shooting without the little bouncing dot.

Speaking as someone who has never fired a major load in a Limited match, go give it a try. You can have a couple A-C, but you don't want 2-C or an A-D.

I finally talked Dave Dawson into trying minor at TSLC one year and my little Italian friend kind of wore him out. :)

I show minor for a couple of reasons. First I don't like the feel of a 40 and second I don't want to slow down. With a properly tuned 9, I can run the pistol just like it was my open gun.

Kenny

...and I am seriously considering shooting Limited minor. What are your opinions on this?

You would get your ass handed to you on a platter.

I agree or just check how many winners there have been in any major match shooting minor ;)

Depends... kid that shoots at our club uses a minor Glock.(Prod) He's about 15 and is fast as hell, but gets the points and smokes most of the field with his speed and accuracy. I think, in some ways, minor is very good training, it makes you deliberate. :)

JT

Edited by JThompson

I'm a big fan of switching to Limited. It gives your stage breakdown skills another hurdle. Instead of figuring out the stage for 10 rounds, you really get to look at how to shoot it smooth and fast. It will help you in production.

That said, I'll be at Indiana, bring it on ;)

Edited by Matt Cheely

Go for it.

I took my open STI Frame and remove the red dot, had a 38 sup barrel and slide fitted and use it for limited and L10. I just have to shoot minor. I dont have to reload a new calaber bullet, my grip is the same, my mags are the same ones, (no new expense there)

and why did I do all of this. Because it is FUN and that is what it is all about. I will never be a master shooter and win the nationals, get my name on the cover of the Front Sight, but I do enjoy shooting and RO/CROing the matches. Is just a lot of fun for me.

Gene

+ 1 Flex ....... your ass handed to you on a platter could be the understatement of the year.

But if you feel you have to do it, I wouldnt shoot Limited minor ..... I would go L-10 minor. You stand a better chance of winning B Class in a smaller field.

Edited by CHRIS KEEN

I'm a big fan of switching to Limited. It gives your stage breakdown skills another hurdle. Instead of figuring out the stage for 10 rounds, you really get to look at how to shoot it smooth and fast. It will help you in production.

That said, I'll be at Indiana, bring it on ;)

MAN!!! I love that attitude. There's a warrior!!! :ph34r: [ note; there was no comment about a "man crush", this is BRIAN ENOS dot com, not BROKE BACK dot com]

Ok, now that I have made the required embarrassing comments, Matt does have the right attitude.

I've always thought the big detractor to L10, SS and Prod is how you slice up courses. When folks tell me they are going to shoot Prod for accuracy training, or L10 / SS for reload practice, I say something overly common sense like "Why don't you just practice [reloads / accuracy] and shoot limited for creativity and aggressiveness in the match?"

Bottom line;

What ever gun you shoot, you have to be disciplined enough to hold onto 90%+ of the points. 90% is really a minimum. And yes, this will be more difficult shooting minor.

We asked TGO about this at the 01 SSC. He was talking about other options he'd thought about, shooting it with an officer's or minor 9mm. His answers still ring true, whether skinny or high cap.

On close (0-15ish) open statics I don't think it hurts that much, and you will get a few more rounds in the mag, occaisionally saving a load or getting a better option of where to load. Figure once, maybe twice in ten stages.

Where it's going to hurt you is on distance, partials and limited exposure, when you CAN'T cinch those Alphas.

But unless you are in the hunt and looking for that last little bit, shoot what you have, know the limitations and advantages of your gear and have fun.

SHAKE AND BAKE!!!!

Edited by dirtypool40

The extra capacity will drastically change your game plan compared to production. I shot minor last yr for the first part of the season. It was nothing more than a mental obstacle I was trying to overcome of always thinking about speed. It was nothing more than a kind of trick of the day thing. It got me thinking and focusing on A hits. It worked great but you suffered huge for bad hits. I did it for several months.

If your doing it for nothing more than to focus on A's then I would say stay with production. Use the local matches to shoot minor. Though I'm a big fan of practicing things during matchs, a big match is where your mental game really needs to be used. All matches should be the same mentally but we tend to build up bigger matches and say I have to do well at such and such putting more pressure on ourselves.

If you doing it for fun then go ahead, sometimes we need to take some pressure off. It will give you a little piece of mind.

If you don't care where you finish then go ahead. You can compare times to see how you stack up with the limited guys. You can always look at the results and score yourself major to see where you could of fell in.

I know Flex went Open at the the Mich match and I can say I haven't seen him smile that much after shooting in awhile. He had his big, big stick with him.

Flyin40

Thanks for all of the excellent feedback guys. Another reason why I wanted to change divisions for the Indiana Sectional is that there is only one other Prod shooter in my class. I guess at a worst case scenario I could tell everyone that I was "2nd A" at a major :P

I will go ahead and shoot Production then. Perhapse in the future I'll move over to the dark side...Ever watch Mythbusters and see Adam and Jamie laugh manically after blowing something up? That is the same feeing I get shooting Keens STI Open gun!

I love shooting my 9mm Limited STI for a change of pace every now and then.... plus 22 or 23 round mags :P

You do give up points in the match, that cannot be avoided. I think personally at the "local" level, you can be very competitive..... where it falls apart is Majors, where the competition is smoking your butt shooting major, already..... the minor thing just magnifies it.

I think Matt Burkett gave a real try at shooting Minor one year at the nationals, and did ok, I read? ...... but not winning the match, or up to his normal potential. He was very fast, but the points caught up with him. He kinda scrapped the idea fter that?

Certain matches / course of fire are very "minor friendly", just depends. In any case I wouldn't want to shoot Limited Minor with less than 23 rounds in my mags. So get some 140mm extensions for your Glock mags and go for it. ;) Its all about having fun, right?

Edited by sfinney