Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Women RO's

BDH

In no way am I trying to start any kind of a sexist discussion, but... I have had the pleasure of working stages with several women RO's, and I could swear that the competitors respond differently to them than to the male RO's...

Is this just my perception, or is there something to this??? ;)

So far I have not had the pleasure. However, should a female RO ask me if I have any questions before she issues the LAMR command I suppose I could come up with a different answer....

"Does this belt make me look fat?"

"What are you doing after the match?"

:D

Okay, I'll be good. There should of course be no difference. I'm surprised you have noticed one Brian. Care to elucidate?

Okay, I'll be good. There should of course be no difference. I'm surprised you have noticed one Brian. Care to elucidate?

You are 110% correct... there 'should' be no difference. It might be me, but it seems that calls like 'alpha or charlie' are not scrunized as closely (maybe women have better vision :) ), and application of procedural penalties does not get challenged as much.

I would hate to think that there is a difference, but I have a few years of this under my belt, and it sure seems that there is. Maybe it is what Mark said... we behave better in front of women... B)

I suspect that women ROs are treated differently by male shooters at the same rate that women anywhere, in any official capacity, are treated differently by males. That's not how it should be, just how it actually is.

Edited by davidball

I don't think it's a women vs men type of issue. What I've noticed appears to be based on familiarity. The "usual suspect RO's" have been out there FOREVER! I've seen Brian at every major match I've attended since I started shooting in 1997! I know I can razz, tease and generally be a jerk to him without fear.

I've RO'ed at Area 6 three times and the nationals twice. The shooters don't know *yet* what they can get away with when I'm on the clock.

Capiche ;)

On this side of the pond (that you'll be visiting quite soon, I understand) I've attended local and international (foreign) matches where a fair percentage of the ROs were/are females, and I can report that (to my knowledge) competitors have absolutely no different attitude towards male or female ROs.

I might add that, in general, female ROs are a tad more meticulous that their male counterparts, maybe because they feel more under scrutiny.

In Cheval-Blanc I'll have you meeting my teammate and IROA RO Silvia ... ;)

Edited by Skywalker

The only lady RO I have had almost DQ'd me back in the late '80's. She was no easy mark. She was also the Great Plains SC.

I think, by and large FWIW, that male shooters want to live by the code of the old west. We treat women with respect, and so far all I have ever met deserve no less.

And that's a good thing.

You are 110% correct... there 'should' be no difference.

I disagree. I call the male ROs "sir". I call the female ROs "ma'am"... :lol:

Other than that, though.... :D

IME, the ladies tend to be tougher cookies than the guys - and usually a lot less grouchy during the match. In either case, both generally respond well to a kind word, and genuine thanks....

You are 110% correct... there 'should' be no difference.

I disagree. I call the male ROs "sir". I call the female ROs "ma'am"... :lol:

Other than that, though.... :D

IME, the ladies tend to be tougher cookies than the guys - and usually a lot less grouchy during the match. In either case, both generally respond well to a kind word, and genuine thanks....

+1

I think it is more difficult for a man to snivel and whine about a call to a female RO. You feel as if you have a "Gender responsibility" to act manly and honorable, while we have no such requirement with male RO's. We whine, beg, cry, whatever it takes to get us the double! ;)

for your next study, i propose that you study how male ROs treat female shooters vs. male shooters.

You're right, that is a completely different question. However, it 'should' be the same...

The reason I originally asked the question about female RO's is I have had the pleasure of working with female RO's at Nationals the last two seasons (and get to repeat it again in Missoula this year), and I'm telling you, the competitors respond differently to them. If there is an Alpha Mike call, I don't think I've ever heard anyone ask them for an overlay to find the perfect double. Also, I remember a 'creeping' call made by one of them, and the competitor did not even comment (it was the correct call, but no whining, etc)!! :huh:

I'm thinking about showing up in Missoula in high heels, a short skirt, and a wig to see if my theory holds true!! :lol:

Edited by BDH

I'm thinking about showing up in Missoula in high heels, a short skirt, and a wig to see if my theory holds true!! :lol:

Oh, man... I'm definitely bringing my camera, now!!! :D

I am getting really really scared. There are certain things that should not be talked about. There are some pictures that I really DO NOT WANT TO SEE. And I am not sure if a camera is made that can withstand tha taking of!

Jim

i predict everyone will treat you differently...

As long as he's getting free drinks and dinner, he won't mind.

(Flowers would be nice, though :P )

Uh, Brian, about that acceptance letter.....

Just kidding Troy! :ph34r: But how about if I show up in my Utilikilt? Heck, the Workman's model has plenty of handy pockets for things like timer, pasters, overlays, pens, etc. And as their website says... We Sell Freedom!! :rolleyes:

The IPSC IROA has a uniform, so maybe it's time for USPSA NROI??? B)

Troy

Now Troy, is it the high heels or the wig that bothers you? Couldn't be the skirt.

Kilt, man, Kilt! :lol:

And yeah, the high heels and wig---ewwww. ;)

Troy

Just kidding Troy! :ph34r: But how about if I show up in my Utilikilt? Heck, the Workman's model has plenty of handy pockets for things like timer, pasters, overlays, pens, etc. And as their website says... We Sell Freedom!! :rolleyes:

The IPSC IROA has a uniform, so maybe it's time for USPSA NROI??? B)

Kilt OK. High heels and wig are definitely not part of the uniform.

You are scaring me, man. :P

Troy