Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I noticed that one can register for the Florida Open 2008 already.

Has anyone heard if the format will be the same as earlier(ten stages 300+rounds)?

Or will the 10th Florida Open be special?

Alf,

When I was updating the site with the match results and such, I took the liberty of updating the entry form too. While the final designs and specifications are not finalized, Frank claims that the 10th Anniversary match will be special and somewhat different.

Due to popular demand, the match will be on a part day schedule where you shoot one morning and one afternoon with much less waiting between stages, or all day Friday. There are rumors that there will be more than 10 stages and 300+ rounds. The main difficulty has been to keep the number of stages, rounds and shooters all high while keeping the same 3 day timeframe.

Leo

It looks as Florida Open 2008 is a match that deserves to be "enjoyed"!

Now for something different: As I live in Europe where gun laws are a "wee bit different" to put it mildly, have I a question about ammo!

I will use my SVI Limited gun in 40 S&W this time, is it legal for me as a tourist to go to a gunstore and buy 1000 rounds or more of 40 ammo?To bring the ammo with me across the big pond is not an option!The airlines have this thing about ammo it is hard enough bringing my gun!

Normally will the ammo be loaded for me by a friend of mine in Phoenix AZ. But on this trip have I decided to stay in Florida and "play the tourist" for a while!

I plan to stay in the Miami area for a week or two before the match and shoot some local matches,and enjoy the weather.

Any info is greatly appreciated!

I noticed that Bass Pro shop sells Remington/UMC 40 S&W ammo in bulk pack for what seems to me (anyway) be a fair price compared to what ammo cost in "my neck of the woods"! I also read some good stuff about Atlanta Arms ammo would that be an option to get quality ammo for the match?

Edited by ALF

Alf,

The only problem with buying 1,000 rounds of .40 would be finding it.

While low cost Winchester White Box Bulk Packs are available at most WalMarts, finding them in any significant quantity can be difficult, particularly just before the Open when many foreign folks will be competing with you for precisely the same reason. Same with Bass Pro Shop unless you can arrange to purchase it in advance and have them hold it for pick-up.

For simplicity, you might try USPSA'a ammo program where they deliver the ammo to the match, in the quantity that you request, and guarantee that you will make Major.

Leo

I used the Precision ammo for a class Leo and I took with Manny Bragg. It is as good as any Winchester or Remington ammo. You can also get it loaded long 1.180 OAL an it is guaranteed to make major. Additionally it is delivered to Frank's place so all you have to do is pick it up when you register. I shot 2000 rounds witout a problem.

Thanks for the info! I will look into USPSA´s ammo program. I have also contacted Atlanta Arms and they can get me 40 S&W loaded long (which is what I want)$183 for 1000 plus $20 for shipping.

I know that Florida Open is a long way of, but since 9/11 have the rules for travelling on an airplane with a handgun changed and for a good reason to!Here is what happened to me after this years Florida Open.

I got into problems with TSA in Chicago´s O´Hare this February as I was about to check in for the long flight home.

The bags had been checked in Orlando and was supposed to go direct to my next flight, but the airline wanted to look into my bag to check on my "gun". They where satisfied but then came TSA into the picture. They opened my bag with the gun to have a peak no problem! But then someone decided to take a small piece of "cloth" and rubbed it onto the inside rim of my suitcase,. But when they put the "cloth" into this "mechanical nose" that things started to be interesting. The machine had found traces of explosives in my suitcase!

To make a long story short it took them almost 60 minutes to get through my bags!

Everything in my bags was taken out and searched.

Finally came they to the conclusion that powder residue on my clothes that I had used during match could be the cause!

Next time will I wash everything BEFORE I proceed home!

I can smile about it know but it was not fun at all then!

Hey Leo!

Would you be willing to bring before Frank the possibility of giving a junior's discount? It's tough to do the FLOpen when paying for 3.

Thanks!

Hey Leo!

Would you be willing to bring before Frank the possibility of giving a junior's discount? It's tough to do the FLOpen when paying for 3.

Thanks!

I'll second that. I am only paying for two and its getting pretty tough.

Hey Leo!

Thanks!

I'll second that. I am only paying for two and its getting pretty tough.

Gentlemen,

The question was posed to him immediately after the Open this year, when we were soliciting comments. He accepted some recommendations, flatly denied others, and kept a few for further consideration. The Junior issue is one of the topics the kept for future consideration. I will post back with whatever response I receive.

Leo (I have a junior that will be shooting the match too)

Gentlemen,

The question was posed to him immediately after the Open this year, when we were soliciting comments. He accepted some recommendations, flatly denied others, and kept a few for further consideration. The Junior issue is one of the topics the kept for future consideration. I will post back with whatever response I receive.

Leo (I have a junior that will be shooting the match too)

Thanks, Leo. Glad to hear you'll be bringing the young one out to play! :)

How about handing out the random prize bags at check in. If it is random, why make people wait several hours on Sunday night?

Many shoot Friday and don't want to spend 2 days waiting so they don't get them.

Just a thought.

How about handing out the random prize bags at check in. If it is random, why make people wait several hours on Sunday night?

Many shoot Friday and don't want to spend 2 days waiting so they don't get them.

Just a thought.

Good idea. Have them in the shooter's bags at registration.

Just a thought.

Good idea. Have them in the shooter's bags at registration.

When they are verifying the Junior discount ;) Great idea!!

I just looked at the 2008 registration form and noticed the dates are Feb 8, 9, 10. This is a week earlier than in previous years, does anyone know why it was moved up?

Yeah, but the Daytona weekend always gave me the Monday off work to get home.

I didn't realize that there were NASCAR holidays in Georgia. :lol:

You mean it's not observed everywhere? :o You crack me up man. :lol:

I received official word that Juniors WILL be allowed shoot for 1/2 price as long as there is a paid parent or guardian shooting with them.

The prize distribution situation is still being examined. While the ideal situation would be to distribute the prizes at registration, as previously mentioned, some vendors choose to bring the prizes with them and they may not arrive until Saturday. That would make it impossible to include those prizes in the registration bags since most folks retrieve their bags on Friday. The situation is still being discussed.

I received official word that Juniors WILL be allowed shoot for 1/2 price as long as there is a paid parent or guardian shooting with them.

The prize distribution situation is still being examined. While the ideal situation would be to distribute the prizes at registration, as previously mentioned, some vendors choose to bring the prizes with them and they may not arrive until Saturday. That would make it impossible to include those prizes in the registration bags since most folks retrieve their bags on Friday. The situation is still being discussed.

Awesome! The Subers will be there!