Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What to buy as your 2nd press: the same yuo just own or the upgrade ?

Hi to all guys ! ;)

I'm proud and happy owner since 2003 of a XL650: now I have to move my reloading-lab in another room much more bigger and comfortable, and I was thinking to buy another Dillon for a more quicker switch from different kind of calibers (I'm an IPSC shooter and I have to reload min 1500 rounds per week in two different calibers : ....).

I ask myself what's the best choice:

another XL650 or a RL 1050 ?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions ....

Stefano

Edited by Stefano

I think a 1050 and a 650 are the perfect combo. The 1050 setup for what you shoot the most and the 650 for everything else. I ran a 1050 in Super and a 650 for 40 and 223 for a long, long time and it's was super convenient.

I added a second 1050 for 40 and still have the 650 which now loads 223, 45 and 9. It'll be loading 6.5 Grendel here soon too.

I keep a single stage for load development too.

Hope that helps.

Rich

Just to be contrary...

I recently bought a second 650... and *love* the flexibility it gives me. I can set up one press for large primers and the other for small. I can set up one for sizing and trimming rifle brass, and the other for loading... etc.

Plus... I *don't* have to go out and buy whole new sets of toolheads, conversion kits, etc. Everything I already had, works on both presses.

$.02

Bruce (who refuses to try a 1050, for fear I'd need two of *them*)

I run a 1050 and a 550. That was my upgrade.

I like the 550 for load development and such. Once I ge tthe load tuned I transfer over to the 1050 and crank out a few thousand copies.

I ma getting faster but changeover on the 1050 is not something I enjoy. I always have to get it tweaked some then it churns out ammo like a champ. I mitigate this by setting it up and churning copious qtys of the same round.

Steven

OK guys, thanks for the suggestions: I've decided to go on for a Super 1050 ... :):):)

Only a question about mounting the two presses (XL 650 + SUper 1050) on the same bench:

it seems to me (looking at some pictures fouded here, in the forum ...) that for having the two handles at the same level the XL650 requires the "strong-mount" and the Super 1050 can be mounted directly on the bench: right ?

I've made my previous bench for the XL650 a little bit higher than usual, just to avoid the strong-mount, placing the press directly on the table.

Now, adding on the same bench the Super 1050 I think I have to lower the bench itself a little bit, right ?

Thanks !

Stefano

Edited by Stefano

OK guys, thanks for the suggestions: I've decided to go on for a Super 1050 ... :):):)

Only a question about mounting the two presses (XL 650 + SUper 1050) on the same bench:

it seems to me (looking at some pictures fouded here, in the forum ...) that for having the two handles at the same level the XL650 requires the "strong-mount" and the Super 1050 can be mounted directly on the bench: right ?

I've made my previous bench for the XL650 a little bit higher than usual, just to avoid the strong-mount, placing the press directly on the table.

Now, adding on the same bench the Super 1050 I think I have to lower the bench itself a little bit, right ?

Thanks !

Stefano

From my handle-height notes:

15 - 18" Height of handle above bench (Height can vary because the handle is adjustable)

7.5" Height of Roller Handle from top of bench without Strong Mount

14.0" Is total handle height w/Roller Handle and 650 ONLY Strong Mount

be

From my handle-height notes:

15 - 18" Height of handle above bench (Height can vary because the handle is adjustable)

7.5" Height of Roller Handle from top of bench without Strong Mount

14.0" Is total handle height w/Roller Handle and 650 ONLY Strong Mount

be

Thanks Brian ! ;););)

• 2 months later...

If I had it all to do over again. I would get all the presses in the same model and that would be a 1050. It saves time in changes and you only really have to have one set of spare parts.

I don't have a 900 but everything else, and use each one depending on how many copies I need made.

The square deal for rounds I don't use very often - .44 mag

550 for .38 special

650 for .40 S&W

1050 for 45 acp and another for .223

Once the press is set up and I have the load that works for me, I can just go to the shop and crank them out. I did not get these all at once but when I found what I thought was a good deal at the gun shows or on Ebay I bought it.

Once you get the primer machine from Dillion you will give up anything else.

Until I actually got into reloading, I thought it was time wasted. I should be shooting or training. But now I actually enjoy turing out a quality product and seeing how far I can push the envelope. I get a kick out of making bullets that you can't walk into the store and purchase. LM

my bench is 37" tall (sorry you can do the Meteric convertion) I have the 1050 and the 650 side by side the 1050 handel is about 4" taller than the 650 with the handel at its (longest)

I don't have a problem at all = ,as the 1050 does not prime on the up stroke = everything is on the down stroke.

I got my press :rolleyes: or rather My WIFE! got my press from Brian this Xmass ...It realy is nice :wub: having a wife like that. The press is nice too.

The handel dif is no problem.

But Get the Alum roller handel if you can. I changed my 1050 over with the alum. handle off one of my older press's

I you havent tryed the Alum :) = it is nice to the hand.

Jamie