Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's so great about Bo-Mar rears?

2cats

?

Why are they popular?  If they indeed work well form many people - why?  how?

I understand that the notch is pretty narrow, between 0.110 and 0.111.  Do people open this up?  What width front blades do people use with these?

Many thanks,

2cats

> Why are they popular?

Beats the shjt out of me!

I never measured my BMCS notches, nor the notches of the Caspian and STI adjustable sights I've used, but they work fine on 5" 2011s with front sights of .094" and .099".

(Edited by Erik Warren at 6:30 pm on Aug. 20, 2002)

they are repeatable, they don't break with normal use, they look good.

Used them for 15 years with the standard notch, and never had a problem.  Since I now shoot in the Senior  division and my eyesight isn't as good as it used to be, I open up the notch to .14 on my Commander.  Still great, after all these years.

The Bomars have simply been the industry standard for years. Nevertheless, thankfully, Bill Wilson finally decided to take a look at a  good design with an eye of improvement. The Wilson sight is a big-time improvement over the Bomar, if for no other reason than you can change the rear blade/notch in less than a minute, using only a screwdriver. If you should ever want to change the rear blade in your Bomar, you'll probably want to kill yourself by the time, or if you ever, finish the job. In addition, the Wilson sight is much more robust, the interchangeable parts are CNC machined to precise tolerances, which means they don't loosen up after a steady diet of Stock gun ammo. And, if that's not enough, you purchase the Wilson sight on be.com at a discounted price.

be

2cats,

Wilson makes two mounting styles - one fits a standard Bomar dovetail, and the other is his own design that simply anchors the site into a slot you mill into the top of the slide. (Maybe about 3/8".) That is how Wilson mounts them when he builds the guns as new. But luckily for the rest of us with Bomar cuts already in the slide, his dovetailed version usually installs with a small amount of hand fitting.

be

Did they ascend to their position in history primarily by being the first rugged, and therefore useful, adjustable?

What about sight picture?  Is the Bo-Mar popularity tied to the notion that you can't beat the traditional notch and post?

Let's expand this subject:  What do people like and dislike about their sight pictures?

(P.S.  I'm coming off 2 years with Ashley sights, which I liked, and still do like, but I have started shooting groups and am wondering about alternatives.  Thus my interest and line of questioning)

Their rise in history revolves around the fact that they were the best on the market for over 25 yrs.  Things evolve, and maybe they have evolved past BoMar sights, but they were the best for a long time.

That is why there is chocolate, strawberry, and vanilla, if you don't like one, you can get another.

2cats,

I was just talking with a fella on the phone this morning about the pros and cons of the Wilson Combat Pyramid rear blade. (I may have been the first to experiment with that style rear blade, inspired by Walter Roper's book, Experiments of a Handgunner.) I "thought" I liked it for several years, but over time I began to notice that I really didn't shoot as well as it "looked" like I was - when I was actually shooting. Meaning, my shots weren't landing as close to my calls as expected. I finally gave it up because I did not feel I was getting the feedback, in the horizontal alignment department, offered by a standard rear blade. The Pyramid rear blade, and the T's or inverted T front sights look real good when you're aiming statically, but at speed, for me, I didn't feel I was getting the feedback that traditional patridge sights provide. At speed, it's just hard to beat the big, bold, easily-readable, sight picture of patridge sights. It's uncanny how quickly the eye can discern any misalignment whatsoever on these type sights.

It's a hard thing to explain in words. Maybe one more thought might help. Many of the trendy sights in use today easily show you when the sights are perfectly aligned; however, they provide little feedback concerning where the shot may land if they are slightly to grossly misaligned. Which is the way we shoot most of our shots in IPSC.

be

Bo-Mars pretty much hold up to everything Action shooting can throw at them. I have had lookalikes come apart on me at matches...I have seen them come off other guns...I finished my last stage at the 1999 Aware with a broken elevation screw ..every shot I fired the sights flipped up then back down....very disconcerting for me and entertaining fro everyone else,still I managed to shoot 132 out of 140 points on a field course....I have Bo-Mars on all of my guns now I run a .095 rear & .095 front took a little while to get used to but is very comfortable to shoot. The easiest way I found to change rear blades is to change the entire leaf with the notch of your choice....can be done in about 10 mins..with no fuss or special tools.

It's cool you've had such good experiences with Bo-Mars, and I certainly wish you continued luck. Thing is, the Wilson can change the entire sight blade in about one minute - if you go REAAAAL slow. The blades are designed to be easily interchangeable. Removal and installation only entails twisting the windage adjustment screw, all you need is a flathead screwdriver. The entire sight body, and every sight blade, is machined from bar stock. The hinge pin is likewise machined from bar stock. I'll stick with the Wilson's.

What is so neat about changing the blade?  I have a rear sight on each of my pistols and each one has its own blade, I don't need to change them.  If you guys would stop dropping them on the concrete or letting them fall out of the truck when you get out, you wouldn't be having all these problems.

Just kidding...to each his own, but why do you need to change the blades.

You need to change the blades when you've been playing with the files and dremel making your rear sight more to your liking, but you go a little too far and mess one up.  ;)    I had a Bo-mar that I did just such a thing too.  Replaced the whole sight with a Wilson from our host and got the blade just right (for the moment) on it on the first try (largely thanks to "learning" on the Bo-mar.  If I ever want to change the look of the rear blade, rear notch width, etc, it's a simple call to Brian and about a minute as Duane mentioned to swap them out.  

DB, with all due respect to a Man of Knowledge, a man's got to know his limitations, and it sounds like your's are working with files and a Dremel.  That is why I have a quality pistolsmith to do that kind of thing for  those of us who are less talented.

I am funny that way, when I spend 2500 bucks on a custom pistol, I don't want to F*** it up by my putting a file on it.