Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Waiting For Your License

ogiebb

its been a few months now that i have been complaining about my license well finally i get interviewed and finally got an approval to own a firearm in New York City ..when i asked the officer when i can have my Pistols transfered here in NYC he asked ....Pistols???...you only get one for now.... :angry::angry: .....on top of that he told me its going to take 2 more months before i get my ID card and permit to purchase :angry::angry::angry: ....

If i ONLY COULD i would move out of NYC in a heartbeat...but i cant <_<<_<

I know what you mean. I ordered my xd tactical and told the dealer I need it by april 26th, because that is when I permit to purchase was going to expire. The dealer got the pistol in on the 26th, but I was not able to get off work early enough to make it to his shop. The dealer would not predate the purchase, so now i have to wait for a new permit to be processed. What a feeling having a new gun sitting there, that you cant have.

Out of curiosity .. why can't you move out of NYC? Even New Jersey is cheaper and easier to live in when it comes to handguns and the train/bus/ferry don't take all that long.

Not to rub it in but . . . I just sent the paper work in to get my new Indiana lifetime carry permit. They are running 4 - 6 months behind in processing but the carbon copy of my application + my current but expiring 4 year permit means I am still good to go.

I love Indiana.

OK, it may have been a little bit to rub it in. :)

I know what you mean. I ordered my xd tactical and told the dealer I need it by april 26th, because that is when I permit to purchase was going to expire. The dealer got the pistol in on the 26th, but I was not able to get off work early enough to make it to his shop. The dealer would not predate the purchase, so now i have to wait for a new permit to be processed. What a feeling having a new gun sitting there, that you cant have.

Please explain this to me. You need to have a permit in order to buy a handgun in Minnesota? Or am I reading this wrong. NYC I could see but MN.

its been a few months now that i have been complaining about my license well finally i get interviewed and finally got an approval to own a firearm in New York City ..when i asked the officer when i can have my Pistols transfered here in NYC he asked ....Pistols???...you only get one for now.... :angry::angry: .....on top of that he told me its going to take 2 more months before i get my ID card and permit to purchase :angry::angry::angry: ....

If i ONLY COULD i would move out of NYC in a heartbeat...but i cant <_<<_<

I feel ya man. I am still working through some "issues" with the State of NY. I don't know how you folks handle living there. It is a great place to visit but I could never live there. Even if they were more liberal about gun ownership who the hell can afford it. :P

I know what you mean. I ordered my xd tactical and told the dealer I need it by April 26th, because that is when I permit to purchase was going to expire. The dealer got the pistol in on the 26th, but I was not able to get off work early enough to make it to his shop. The dealer would not predate the purchase, so now i have to wait for a new permit to be processed. What a feeling having a new gun sitting there, that you cant have.

Please explain this to me. You need to have a permit in order to buy a handgun in Minnesota? Or am I reading this wrong. NYC I could see but MN.

It is true, you need a permit to purchase a handgun in Minnesota; if I remember right the term was the same as the CCW permit. But the good news is Minnesota is a shall issue state and the CCW acts a purchase permit as well.

The main reason I got my first CCW is I wanted to get a pistol and the dealer said you need a purchase permit. I went to the Police Station and said i need a permit. I was in full Uniform (USAF) and the dispatcher said which one; carry or purchase? I said what do I need for the carry permit? She said let me make a copy of your Military ID. I said Cool. I then had to interview with Police Chief (this was before shall issue); my appointment was at 0800 11 Sep 2001. I did my interview, came out of the Chiefs office, about 4-5 Cops where gathered around the TV watching the plane hit 2nd tower. They ask if I was there because of what was happening in NY. I said nope just getting my CCW permit, they said good day for it. I have never let it expire.

Not to rub it in but . . . I just sent the paper work in to get my new Indiana lifetime carry permit. They are running 4 - 6 months behind in processing but the carbon copy of my application + my current but expiring 4 year permit means I am still good to go.

I love Indiana.

OK, it may have been a little bit to rub it in. :)

New York State pistol permits are lifetime. Have been all my life. :)

Of course they are not valid in NYC.

NYC permits are not lifetime, and I believe there are a couple of counties down near NY that have expiration dates as well. Unfortunately, the judge who used to issue NY carry permits by mail to non-residents always added a 5 year expiration date, which is unfortunate, since he has since discontinued that practice after being advised he did not have jurisdictional authority to do so.

Out of curiosity .. why can't you move out of NYC? Even New Jersey is cheaper and easier to live in when it comes to handguns and the train/bus/ferry don't take all that long.

Vlad,

i have a 3 year contract with my agency in Great neck ,Manhattan long Island and even if i move to Fort lee or anywhere in NJ thats close to NYC i dont really want to deal with with traffic from G Washington bridge ($6) toll and throgs neck bridge ($9 both ways)just to pass these bridges i need to cough up $15 dollars in toll plus GAS each day....you guys have all the luck there in NJ :P

NYC permits are not lifetime, and I believe there are a couple of counties down near NY that have expiration dates as well. Unfortunately, the judge who used to issue NY carry permits by mail to non-residents always added a 5 year expiration date, which is unfortunate, since he has since discontinued that practice after being advised he did not have jurisdictional authority to do so.

yep NYC permits are good for 2 years only and if you forget to re-new your license and it lapses for even a DAy expect a police officer at 6 am to pick up your gun.. :wacko:

I remember the permit to purchase hassle and the only way to get a concealed carry permit was a BIG contribution to the sheriffs reelection campaign but then I left Michigan. The thing I hate about Montana's system is that my Drivers license is good for 8 years but the carry permit is only good for 3 years. Different revenue methods.

• 3 months later...

All you guys are funny. I think if you wanna carry then carry. I took the class a few years ago. It's so much a hassle I thought who cares. I don't carry enough to worry about it. Am I going to get in trouble for carring guns every time I go to the range. I think not. Plus thank god in ok we just don't care. :ph34r:

I have lived in 6 states and held a CPL in 3.

Every person has the right... and the capability to live where ever they want in this great country.

Living in IL, CA, or NY -- or one of the other anti-self protection states----is a choice... not a requirement. Over 30 years ago my employer at the time.... wanted to re-locate me to Chicago... I looked at all facets.. and I said NO!! The evaluation of where one wishes to live should include many factors... the state's position on gun ownership and gun owner's rights is just one of those factors.

Unless the laws changed while you were on the road moving to the pitiful state of NY....... you really have no basis to bitch about the laws in your "new home".

Just my 2 cents.

All you guys are funny. I think if you wanna carry then carry. I took the class a few years ago. It's so much a hassle I thought who cares. I don't carry enough to worry about it. Am I going to get in trouble for carring guns every time I go to the range. I think not. Plus thank god in ok we just don't care. :ph34r:

if you read the thread its only about OWNING a pistol in your home, its not even CARRY....please read first :rolleyes:

I have lived in 6 states and held a CPL in 3.

Every person has the right... and the capability to live where ever they want in this great country.

Living in IL, CA, or NY -- or one of the other anti-self protection states----is a choice... not a requirement. Over 30 years ago my employer at the time.... wanted to re-locate me to Chicago... I looked at all facets.. and I said NO!! The evaluation of where one wishes to live should include many factors... the state's position on gun ownership and gun owner's rights is just one of those factors.

Unless the laws changed while you were on the road moving to the pitiful state of NY....... you really have no basis to bitch about the laws in your "new home".

Just my 2 cents.

not all people are as gifted as "you" in choice of jobs its so EASY to say that dont live here or there when they have Family to back up their ass when they go flat broke, if someone would hire me in a diff state with the same salary and give my wife the same benefits and pay we would MOVE tommorrow... if i had a choice YES..New York is the last place i would live in

who's the bitch now...by the way i would never ever kick a person when hes down

just my 3 centavos.

Edited by ogiebb