Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Small Rifle Primers In .40 S&w

JaredB

I have read about some people using SRP's in .40 S&W.

I know I would have to re work my load if I used them.

My question is if they will seal properly in the primer pocket so that my breech face doesnt become eroded? Specifically in a lower pressure minor load.

My question is if they will seal properly in the primer pocket so that my breech face doesnt become eroded? Specifically in a lower pressure minor load.

I haven't seen any issues with Winchester SRP's in my P16-40.

Both magnum and Rifle primers can & sometimed do pit STI & SV breach faces due to poor sealing. Federal presents the fewest problems with this. Unless there is a need for magnum or rifle primers, they are best avoided.

I have been using them with no problems. Actually once I switched I dropped my powder charge a tenth and got the same velocity. I'm using it for open loads and wanted to make sure all the powder was getting used.

Flyin40

I've gone to WSRs for everything except revolver loads which require a more sensative primer. There was the issue of breechface pitting around the firing pin hole but if you're shooting an SV with a removable breechface it isn't an issue.

• 2 weeks later...
I use Win Small Rifle primers in .38 Super, .40 and .223. No problems, very convenient. If I have a small primer tube loaded, it's loaded with WSR, makes inventory control easier.

I'm the same. I have been using them for years without any problems.

I just recently switched to small rifle primers (SRP) for my 40 cal major load in my SVI. I'm on my first 1000. In the last 100 rounds I've had to failures to ignite. My gun has been 100% reliable with pistol primers. Am I supposed to change any springs when going to SRP? The brand is Winchester SRP.

Thanks,

-Cuz

I use WSR primers for my Para's both limited and open. I also usethem in my Glocks, XD and Sig with monor loads, no trouble at all. I do swith to WSP for 38 revo loads.

I tried Federal and frankly didn't like the detonations in the 650.

Jim

Not one reply claiming experience with .40 minor and rifle primers.

After posting in the first half dozen "Small Rifle Primers in .40 S&W" threads I just skipped this one..... :D till now....

The last 6K .40 I have loaded have been mostly at around 145 PF with Precision Black bullets in 155 grain. Used rifle primers and have noticed nothing different on the breech face. I have looked at it too...... :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Most everyone is using WSR primers, what about other primers?

I have a butt load of CCI BR2's... anything wrong with using these?

What about any of the other small rifle primers?

Edited by kgunz11

• 2 weeks later...