Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beta Mag

cpty1

I have heard it said by knowledgable folks to keep a BetaC unloaded when not using it. I have also been advised that it is best for the feed lips over the long run to shoot them empty if at all possible rather than risk damaging the feed lips by prying rounds out. The 3rd tip I got on these beasties is to keep them full of powdered graphite and to sell them off after they have had about a thousand rounds run through them because they are a Bic Lighter as far as longevity goes ;-)

• 2 months later...

George,

My understanding on the buy it, use it, sell it idea was due to the vulnerability of the feed lips. Now that there are replacement feed towers and feed lips available there is no longer a need for replacement.

My understanding on the buy it, use it, sell it idea was due to the vulnerability of the feed lips. Now that there are replacement feed towers and feed lips available there is no longer a need for replacement.

That would indeed address the feed lip vulnerability issue.

Now on to the spring sack and follower wear mark drag issues ;-)

Finally went and put a few rounds thru the beta. Ran without a hitch until I started using it as a mono pod...it didn't like that. Might try it out at the upcoming 3 gun at South River this weekend. Just have to remember not to mono pod it.

has anyone but me noticed that RM3G, has eliminated the beta from Tact. class??????

!!!

Bleeding hell, there it is.

6.5.6 No drum magazines or “beta/C” mags allowed in this class.

Sigh. Kind of late in the year to procure and test some 45-rounders...

- Chris

Edited by Chris Rhines

has anyone but me noticed that RM3G, has eliminated the beta from Tact. class??????

!!!

Bleeding hell, there it is.

6.5.6 No drum magazines or “beta/C” mags allowed in this class.

Sigh. Kind of late in the year to procure and test some 45-rounders...

- Chris

I have a couple of the DPMS 45 rounders and they're great! A little spendy, but worth it. BTW, I didn't change the green follower to the Magpul follower as is my standard practice, because the Magpuls wanted to hang up on the weld. No matter, they have worked just fine with the greenies. Those DPMS mags look a little hoakey with that weld holding 2 mag bodies together, but it doesn't seem to affect function.

I also have a couple of Bushmaster steel 40 rounders, and they don't seem to work so well, although others I've talked to have had good luck with them. Maybe I need to work with them a little more.

Trapr

I am sure this elicited some giggles from those who have continually preached the "wrongness" of the Beta in Tactical Class rifles....

Merlin...."it ain't wrong...it,s just different" Pretty soon we will all compete with single shot Black powder cartride guns and the evil C-Mag will be banished FOREVER! DOWN WITH TECHNOLOGY!! :angry2: Oh and Kelly had it right! Zombies! ( don't those make your head hurt if you drinkl too many?)

Merlin, next they'll disallow those evil shotgun shell holders that let you grab 4 shells at the same time, <_< then those things on your gun that hold ammo. eventually we'll be down to our pockets for ammo holders............... :lol:

Trapr

Trapr

The J&J 3-gun match was first of Tact. Class Beta C elimination, however, the stages were set up so that it would not be necessary. I am sure Denise and JJ will do the same for RM3G.

Just shoot open if you want to use a betaC. I don't see how limiting the mags for rifle is any different than limiting mag tubes for the shotgun, or having to use 140mm for pistols. It's a game. Different games, different rules.

Just my $.015

If we are discussing USPSA rules for 3-gun and Multi-gun consider that USPSA has round count limits for certain divisions, and also mag length rules for others.

My personal preference is that we not make a limit, but allow the MD or Stage Designer to require a reload in the COF. This Reload woiuld be AFTER the start signal and prior to the last shot being fired.

In other words, you can shoot the whole COF with your Beta, then reload and fire one shot. OR you can reload immediately upon hearing the start signal OR you can reload anywhere else you feel like it.

What this does is make the sport a shooting sport and less of a "how much money did I spend on my accessories" game.

I would suggest that this not be applied to every stage of every match, but often to force most shooters to reload ( An actual skill we should all have in addition to hitting a target) we see stages with rediculous round counts, 2 head, 4 body type of stuff. Al lthat does is burn increasingly expensive ammo without any real benifit to either the shooter or the flow of the match.

And Standards sort of suck. Great for practice but not all that much fun in a match. Besides, that make for one or maybe two reloads? and those not under the adverse conditions that a stage might place you under.

Jim

Pacman, i really couldn't care less one way or the other. its just a fun pot to stir!!!!! I see some people are still dragging thier beaten horses around. :rolleyes: I simply find it funny how people feel they need to "FIX" stuff.

BTW, I store my BETA, empty and in the same case it came in, and like G Jim, I like it.

Trapr