Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How To Shoot Faster

A slight increase in weak hand grip pressure may make the gun settle better and more predictably allowing a quicker second acceptable sight picture.

It may be a trick of the day, but I can get a little lazy on grip and stance.

However, I noticed a distinct difference in dot tracking when I tightened up ol' lefty last night.

It was good.

If you want to play with this, do a drill with you normal grab n' go grip, then repeat the drill with a conscious increase in weak hand grip pressure.

Tell me what you learn.

SA

I have been playing with this myself :)

I found that if I increase my weak hand grip and reduce the strong hand grip (quite a bit)

My splits went from .19 or .20 down to .14 to .16.

I just hope I can remember to try this at the match this weekend <_<

Thanks Steve :)

Jim

I've been going over the concept of "shooting faster" when I believe that my problem now is "allowing myself to shoot faster". Please feel free to share any revelations on my range diary on this topic.

I have, however, found that having a stronger weak hand grip certainly lends to more accurate and faster splits.

I've also been experimenting with more weak hand pressure.

I'm just not sure about the strong hand. With a death grip, shots are closer together, but not necessarily where I called the shot. A light strong hand grip at longer ranges, say 25-50yds., seems to increase group size.

How tight do you Limited shooters grip with your strong hand? I tend to think that a comp and a dot could use less strong hand grip than an iron sighted gun. I would like to know what everyone has found in their training with Limited/Production guns.

Are we talking about 15 yrd shots, or 2 yrd shots ?

I find that actually holding the gun a little loose helps me. Sort of like holding a bird in your hands. Just enough pressure that I don't drop it, but not too much. I want the gun to cycle properly .... and be able to transition quickly.

Wow, this thread is quite timely. I have been strugling with some tendenitis in my left forarm. Many people I shoot with think I grip too tight with the left hand (read death grip). I have been playing with loosening my left hand grip.

However, in the process I have found that it seems I don't use all of my fingers to grip the gun. What I mean by this is that my tendenitis was affecting my index and middle finger. When I grip more with my ring and pinky finger and relax my other fingers I get what feels like a similar grip pressure but without my recent pain.

As the recoil of the gun is mostly counteracted by the fingers farthest from the barrel I wonder what others feel about gripping more with the "bottom" fingers rather than the "top"?

thoughts?

Ira

Well guys, it's gonna be different for everyone.

Micah,

That's why I called it shooting faster without trying. :)

If we are letting the vision dictate the second shot, then anything that returns the gun quicker and/or more predicatbly will increase the speed at which your vision gives the green light to the trigger finger. Ideally, this will happen subconsciously.

If you need to give yourself permission to shoot faster, it COULD be that you're routing commands through colonel conscious, and he's an idiot. :)

JD,

If this helps, it needs to be committed to the subconscious before the effects will benefit match performance. I'd rather have a crappy grip with an alpha focus than a great grip with a grip focus. As usual, I want it all. ;)

Chris,

My perspective is from the startpoint of a somewhat lazy grip. Yours may be from a fairly firm grip. I'm only advocating TRYING a slightly firmer WH grip as an experiment.

Jweiny,

You're already getting too technical for me. ;) I would try it and see, but your grip eventually needs to be subconscious and it seems it might take a little longer for that amount of detail to take old. If it works for you, it's worth it.

All,

Flex talks about grip and stance all the time...I usually hear blah blah blah, let's get a beer and some wings! But he's so smart that I listen anyway, and he's always right.

If I can get good results from a lazy grip and stance, maybe I can get great results from a better grip and stance. But as always, these are seconday from the primary goal of two pretty alphas an every target.

All I'm trying to say is that technique improvements must be committed to the SC before improvements to the whole shooting will be realized. This is why your hits suffer in practice when you try a great new technique for the first time.

I got a smokin' draw but missed: OK, why was the draw good and the hits bad. Betcha beer you were focusing on the draw. I'm thirsty.

My hits were great but I was SLOW: This is a great problem to have. Isolate the components of the run and find the wasted time. Your hits will suffer during this process. Groove in the new technique and return to an alpha focus.

SA

Edited by Steve Anderson

Micah,

That's why I called it shooting faster without trying. :)

If we are letting the vision dictate the second shot, then anything that returns the gun quicker and/or more predicatbly will increase the speed at which your vision gives the green light to the trigger finger. Ideally, this will happen subconsciously.

If you need to give yourself permission to shoot faster, it COULD be that you're routing commands through colonel conscious, and he's an idiot. :)

SA

Agreed that Colonel Conscious is an idiot, but the ladies love his brother, Colonel Angus ;)

......Seriously though, per the suggestions made my you and Bill, I will goeth to the rangeth today and preformeth many a bill drill...........eth :)

Flex talks about grip and stance all the time...I usually hear blah blah blah, let's get a beer and some wings!

Brain fuel.

...he's so smart that I listen anyway....

Smart as a guy that learned to shoot this stuff with a Limited gun that maybe weighed in at 60% of what everybody else was shooting...while feeding it 190pf ammo. :blink:

Those that seek... Timing drills: http://www.doublealpha.biz/tip_burkett.htm

Interesting topic as I was given a two part tip this weekend. First was more grip pressure with the weak hand. It lead to better recoil management and faster splits. It's so nice when the dot stays in the lens during recoil. Second was getting a higher weak grip with the index finger in front of the trigger guard positioned in the second joint. I seem to get a lot more leverage on the grip this way.

I need to practice both to get more comfortable with it but it looks to have merit. Steve Anderson any comment on this grip position?

rw,

you answered your own question:

I need to practice both to get more comfortable with it .

Higher grip is like more horsepower: never a bad thing.

If it continues to show merit groove it in and make it your grip.

Merlin,

The extra wh grip won't solve your problem, but it may have revealed an opportunity for you to improve. Might I suggest some trigger control drills? Some group shooting will show you worlds of feel in your trigger.

Iron Equalizer,

I was gone a while (many layers of gone) but I'm Back (many layers of back) now. Thanks!

SA

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

What happened to Steve?

What happened to Steve?

Steve recently got married, and as all good men who are consumed by their new found flame, he has found greener pastures! :roflol:

:cheers:

I have been wondering the same thing. I guess now I know :roflol: