Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How To Shoot Faster

I am having an issue with speed also. I am placing hign every local match (6th out of 17th in Limited) but I am the slowest out of all of them. The only reason I placed 6th was because I had all A hits. The problem is when I speed up I start missing targets. So the problem for me is I am too slow but get all A hits but when I speed up I miss targets all together. I am still trying to work this out.

I am having an issue with speed also. I am placing hign every local match (6th out of 17th in Limited) but I am the slowest out of all of them. The only reason I placed 6th was because I had all A hits. The problem is when I speed up I start missing targets. So the problem for me is I am too slow but get all A hits but when I speed up I miss targets all together. I am still trying to work this out.

Going from all A's to missing targets by going faster? What are you doing different? Squeezing the gun harder? Closing your eyes? Doing double taps instead of seeing the sights for each shot.

Going from all A's to missing targets by going faster? What are you doing different? Squeezing the gun harder? Closing your eyes? Doing double taps instead of seeing the sights for each shot.

I think I am doing double taps.

Here is a link to Matt Burkett's Timing Drill. Scroll about 2/3rds of the way down the page. His whole tip page is really very good.

Perform the Timing Drill exactly as he describes them. Few (very few) live fire exercises are as illustrative.

A timer, a pile of ammo, three target stands and several USPSA targets are required. You may need to perform the drill more

than a couple times. If you grind on this exercise HARD and do it right, you will be pleased with the results. Guaranteed.

http://www.doublealpha.biz/courses-tips/matts-tips/

• 1 month later...

I think I am doing double taps.

You should not be able to pull the trigger faster than you can receive some visual information about the sight alignment, even if that information tells you the alignment sucked. Put another way, you can outshoot your ability to settle and align the sights, but you can't outshoot your eyes. If you aren't seeing what is happening then that's your problem.

Matt

• 1 month later...