Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ok Fellow Shooters...i Need Your Help

Ok everybody...I need some help here. You know my husband just bought me a new STI Trubor for Christmas and I really like it.

Then, he bought me a JP1100 shotgun but it was setup for right-handed shooting so he's getting me a left-handed barrel for it.

Now, I've convinced him to buy a JP upper for the rifle (blue annodized of course). But Benny Hill says it should have a scope that cost more than $800.

The question is, how am I going to convince my husband to buy an $800 scope for my blue rifle?

Any suggestions other than hanging him upside down until his wallet falls out would be greatly appreciated.

~Nanci~ :D

I'm guessing Benny is suggesting the Meopta. I have one on the rifle he built for me. Shot it for the first time a couple of weeks ago and got 17 A's and one D hit. The D was because the jerk on the trigger was having so much fun getting all those A hits on targets almost completely surrounded by no shoots. Most of the double hits required only one paster. You need this scope!

There, does that help? :D

I'm guessing Benny is suggesting the Meopta. I have one on the rifle he built for me. Shot it for the first time a couple of weeks ago and got 17 A's and one D hit. The D was because the jerk on the trigger was having so much fun getting all those A hits on targets almost completely surrounded by no shoots. Most of the double hits required only one paster. You need this scope!

There, does that help? :D

Quite well..Thank you... :D

All righty then :blink: here I am sorta blind sighted by this :huh:

I think the little woman found Benny had posted to another thread on an $800.00 scope .

I dont know exactly what he was recomending?

I am going to tell you, she doesnt need too much help in getting me to go along with whatever she wants :mellow: she just sticks out her lip and pouts a little :lol:

The grand daughters also use this method to great success <_<

She will be shooting in open class, your recomendations are needed as I have never used any high dollar scopes and i dont know squat about them.

Hopefully Benny will chime in with some guidance.

PS ....I will be selling a kidney on EBAY to pay for this :wacko:

Jim

<_< Benny just did an Open gun for me = he was Fat Free on the price = I am very happy.

I shoot alot of rifle = the $700 scope on my rifle is 15 years old 15 naitonal events many regional event and now the scope it worth .... <_< more than what I paid for it. replacment cost is $950 to get another just like it is $750 used.

If G Jim buys the scope for you :blink: ITS Like $$$ in the Bank ;)

The cash I spent on Linda's guns is the best cash I have ever spent on guns. She has two nat trophies 1st STC :rolleyes:

Oh I have to add ...In TEXAS ... A Ladie gets what -ever- she wants ;)

Edited by AlamoShooter

She will be shooting in open class, your recomendations are needed as I have never used any high dollar scopes and i dont know squat about them.

Hopefully Benny will chime in with some guidance.

Jim

There are a number of threads on this topic in the 3 gun forums --- a search might get you the info you need. In the alternative, you could start a new thread there --- but you'll need to provide some detailed information on where you're likely to shoot 3 gun. The recommendations will be different if most of what you shoot is in the house clearing to 100 yard range, as opposed to needing to cover the house clearing to 400 yard range.....

Hey guys...thanks for all the help.

I just talked to John Paul...what a super nice guy.

He had one blue upper left...and it's mine. (yippee) :D

I'm getting the JP CTR-02 with 18" barrel and the JP Big Comp.

Still trying to decide on a scope...does anyone have experience with both the ACOG and Meopta and can tell me the pros and cons of each?

BTW...Jim does not have to sell his kidney on eBay.

But his ass is grass if he doesn't get to the shop and make some money.

~Nanci~

Ok everybody...I need some help here. You know my husband just bought me a new STI Trubor for Christmas and I really like it.

Then, he bought me a JP1100 shotgun but it was setup for right-handed shooting so he's getting me a left-handed barrel for it.

Now, I've convinced him to buy a JP upper for the rifle (blue annodized of course). But Benny Hill says it should have a scope that cost more than $800.

The question is, how am I going to convince my husband to buy an $800 scope for my blue rifle?

Any suggestions other than hanging him upside down until his wallet falls out would be greatly appreciated.

I just HAVE TO DO THIS :D ah...you spelled anodizing wrong!

pay back is sooo sweet :D

Jim

Still trying to decide on a scope...does anyone have experience with both the ACOG and Meopta and can tell me the pros and cons of each?

~Nanci~

No experience with the Meopta, but I bought an ACOG for my tactical rifle --- specifically a TA01NSN, after taking one look through a friends. I used to work as a photographer, so looking through the ACOG reminded me of looking through a pro quality lens. It's bright, clear, sharp, and at 4 power it's been enough to get hits at 300 yards --- from standing. I do run a JP short range tactical iron sight set at 2 o'clock on the handguard --- and I'd recomment either it or the red dot of your/JP's choice in that position for the up close hoser stuff.....

JP built my upper --- I told them what I experienced at most of the local rifle/3gun matches, and what I was having trouble hitting, and then followed their recommendations, which turned out to be terrific....

I had Bushnell, US Optics, Aimpoint before. Now I run a TA11 with a C-more on the handguard for the close in stuff. If you can do it try the ACOG and a Flip cover Matt Burkett swears it works in close but just not with having cross dominate eyesight.

Nik is not far off my recommendation. For Open division I would go with a fixed mag main optic and a red dot on the handguard for speed stuff. The low powered variable is a better solution IMO for the Tactical division where you can't have a secondary red dot.

I can easily get A's on a full size paper target at 50-75 yards with the red dot and can bang a flash target at 200 yards with it on demand for grins ;-)

Nik is also dead on about clarity, couple that with wide field of view and thats were you need to go for anything like the RM3G (2x Alumni here).

I use the JP reticle TA-01 because I like a crosshair rather than a doughnut, or triangle like the competing ACOG's sport. The TA-11 is the other good choice.

If you are gonna' push 55grainers downrange, the TA-11 may be the better choice for ballistic reasons. The JP TA-01 would be the heat if you were gonna' go with a 69 graine or heavier projectile because of it's calibrated reticle.

The fixed ACOG with it's incredible optic clarity and huge field of view makes it a snap to put a round up a gnats azz at 50 meters and to reliably bang steel flash targets out to the projectiles horizon (5-600 yards). The red dot on the hand guard is used by rotating the rifle into a cant and snapping both eyes wide open (if they weren't already). It is a fast enough thing that I have easily transitioned between the ACOG and the dot within target arrays when the need presents itself.

In Open division it usually pays to optimize each aspect of the system as opposed to Tactical division where a one-size-fits-all approach (Low Powered Variable) may work better.

Here is my favorite race rifle:

jpar-05-ver.jpg

Hey guys...thanks for all the help.

I just talked to John Paul...what a super nice guy.

He had one blue upper left...and it's mine. (yippee) :D

I'm getting the JP CTR-02 with 18" barrel and the JP Big Comp.

BTW...Jim does not have to sell his kidney on eBay.

But his ass is grass if he doesn't get to the shop and make some money.

~Nanci~

I went with the ACOG - I can actually hit A's at 200 yds with that sucker. (Sorry Jim!)

Y'all have given me a lot to think about and I appreciate your learned opinions.

Jim and I are having so much fun getting back into the shooting sports...we had a blast at the Dust Devil Classic. We've met a bunch of really neat people. We continue to have fun on this forum with all of you and your comments. We joke around about all this stuff cuz it's part of the game. Jim would bend over backwards to get me whatever I ask for. Did I tell you about my 57 Chevy?

Thanks again for all the info...I still have time to decide on the scope and lots to learn as well. And I am so jazzed about the RM3Gun in September. Woohoo...Life is good!