Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Omg, What A Expensive Dilemma

waxman

Waxman...I just figured this out! You sheep killing hound.

You screwed up the sights on that XD so it would shoot crappy and then let her shoot the good gun that was zeroed in. You knew she would want the Kimber and it would give you an excuse to buy the Edge. You are one smart rascal.

Good Luck, Buddy

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I guess i picked the wrong forum to find sympothy. I guess she has spoken, and she gets the Kimber. I will be ordering the Sti edge 40 , here in the next couple of weeks. Well since I hold all of you responsible for this decision (lol) I feel it is up to you to help me answer a few stupid expensive gun questions. Ok, How crappy is a stock edge trigger? I see everyone that sells them offers a trigger job for them. Also do you need tuned magazines? the tuned ones are $125, and the factory ones are $60. Dont the factory ones work? What am I going to need for a holster, and mag pouches for a edge. I have always just used Uncle mikes Kydex in the past. I am trying to make the purchase as painless as possible, so I dont think I need all of the bells and whistles to start with. Also who would you recomend buying one from? Thanks again.

You have learned well young grass hopper. Now you must travel to the land of bladetech to find the right holster. :P

Maybe you should buy a doh for your wife while your at it. :rolleyes:

Don't buy an Edge, kick in another couple hundred bucks and get a full custom right out of the gates. There IS a difference in the guns, and the difference in the cost is pretty minor considering how much these things cost.

Don't buy an Edge, kick in another couple hundred bucks and get a full custom right out of the gates. There IS a difference in the guns, and the difference in the cost is pretty minor considering how much these things cost.

Good Advise!

The $1700 for the stock edge is almost out of reach now. There is no way I can swing more then that for a full custom. I figure I can always have it tweaked later. I just need to get the pistol to start practicing. The way she just got done shooting with the kimber, I am going to need to step it up right now. I just put up orange pill bottle label, maybe 2 inches by 3 inches, and asked her to use it as a target, she put her first 3 rounds through it as 20 yds, then turns to me and asks, is that good? Is the stock edge that bad?,Why is everone warning me to have one customized. I was under the impression, that they were top of the line right now, am I wrong?

The xd is very shootable if you get the trigger done. Canyon Creek does a great job taking the travel out of it and they can make it 3 or 4 pounds just in case thye try the 3 pound rule. Sorry to hear you lost your Kimber. If she is going to shoot single stack, don't get the DOH bladetech. it is ok for limited 10 but not for single stack. good luck and happy shooting.

The Edge is a very nice production line gun, but it is a production line gun. Another couple hundred dollars gets a hard fit slide to frame, it gets a premium barrel, it gets all the best parts money can buy and they are all fit by hand to an extremely high level. The Edge is a very nice gun, but take that to the highest level and you have what you will get from the well respected smiths you will find with a little searching on this forum. You will also have a man standing behind this gun, not a corporation turning out a ton of guns. If you have problems this will be a BIG deal.

Don't forget magazines, holster, and all of that. Figure $100 each for magazines by the time you get them set up, and you need 4.

It IS worth it, scratch up the extra money somehow.

The xd is very shootable if you get the trigger done. Canyon Creek does a great job taking the travel out of it and they can make it 3 or 4 pounds just in case they try the 3 pound rule. Sorry to hear you lost your Kimber. If she is going to shoot single stack, don't get the DOH bladetech. it is ok for limited 10 but not for single stack. good luck and happy shooting.

I have two XD-9's both with trigger work done by Canyon Creek. The Tactical is for competition and has a 2.5# trigger. [Rant On] I will likely run into a problem with this one if the new trigger pull rule passes and for no good reason the BOD forces many of us to pony up some significant scratch to have a gun rebuilt that is perfectly legal under the existing rules. :angry: [Rant off]

I also have an XD-9 Service with a 4# trigger. The difference in both compared to the stock trigger is unbelievable. I too had accuracy problems with the Service before the Canyon Creek trigger. After Rich worked his magic, it shoots like a dream. As for a comparison between the two trigger pulls, there is very little noticeable difference in the feel of the trigger or accuracy given that the Tactical has a longer sight radius.

Give Rich a call and ask for a 3.5# trigger. This should leave the XD perfectly legal if the new rule is adopted. (See Rant above.) :ph34r:

No matter what approach you choose, the price of a gun or trigger work is a mere pittance compared to the value of having a wife who enjoys the same sport that you do.

Edited by XD Niner

The Edge comes with a pretty decent 3.5# trigger. You may want to add a 35 or 40 dollar fiber optic front sight. The pistol will out do you (maybe not your wife) as it comes from the factory. Shoot what you can afford and make changes as needed or as you can afford.

Magazines...buy stock and then change the followers, springs, and bases. Spend a few bucks on a magazine brush and I think you will be set for awhile. Well, at least until the shooting kitty is replenished and you decide what you want to do to your new toy.

Good Luck with your purchase.

Buddy

TAKE OUT A SECOND LOAN, BORROW FROM YOUR DAD, MAX OUT THE CREDIT CARDS,

WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO KEEP YOUR WIFE HAPPY AND SHOOTING. IT IS CHEEPER

THAN A DIVORCE AND MAY PREVENT ONE. SOMETIMES, SANDBAG A LITTLE TO

LET HER OUT SHOOT YOU, IF SHE OUT DOES YOU TRY TO KEEP UP WITHOUT

GETTING UPSET.

NOW ORDER A CUSTOM LIMITED OR EVEN HAVE DAVE DAWSON SEND YOU ONE

OF HIS SUPER-TUNED EDGES. TUNE THE TRIGGER ON THE XD AS YOU MAY NEED

TO SHOOT IT WHEN YOUR WIFE MOVES TO LIMITED WITH HER SLIGHTLY USED

EDGE.

ABOVE ALL ELSE KEEP HER SHOOTING!

Since she's going to be shooting the Kimber and money is a bit tight, why not go for the Rangemaster instead? Basically a singlestack Edge and with Tripp magazines should be competitive in L-10, where you can practice and compete together...grow LOTS closer if ya play it right. Which, from the tone of your posts is pretty likely.

Who'd a thunk you could shoot your way to a better marriage?

waxman, You REALLY need to call Benny Hill. I just recently bought a gun from him. The difference in price is not that great. I have a finished product that fits my small hands perfectly, shoots like a dream and looks great in a hard chrome finish. At least talk to the man before you buy the Edge. You might regret it if you don't. I imagine there are others that can provide a similar service. You owe it to yourself to shop around before buying such an expensive stock gun.

A lot of people keep saying to go back to the XD-9, but obviously she doesn't get along with it so move ahead to what works. Give her the kimber and enjoy your edge untill she shoots it ONE time, then kiss it good bye too! However, it is important to know, if my wife would shoot with me, she could have my STI open gun and I would go to shooting some POS just to do something together. When we were dating, she went shooting with me, but she always had some gooney goo goo look in her eyes. Now I know she could give a rat's behind about shooting, and NOW I know what she was up to. They are sneaky that way you know. Watch her carefully, she will be after your truck next!

You need to quit buying stuff for her and let HER pick out what she wants. Pay the man what it costs to take it home and be happy. If she wants a gagillion dollar open gun, buy it. It really is that simple.

Sometimes we try to help other people (read:women) a lot more than they need, they have preferences and ideas just like we do. Cut her loose to do her own thing, it is a better way.

+1

AMEN and HALLELUJAH!!!! This man knows what he is talking about!!

BTW Honey, can I have a gagillion dollar open gun?? Oh yeah that's right....I've all ready got one. ;)

***Words of advice....when you get your new gun DO NOT LET YOUR WIFE SHOOT IT!! If she shoots it, you will lose it! We are quite happy (shooting wives) when we don't know what we are missing. ;) Just my 2 cents...not speaking for ALL shooting wives.

Edited by Calamity Jane

Well I really do appreciate all of the input from all of you guys. I have decided to let my wife shoot the Kimber and I traded the xd 4" for a xd 5" tactical. I am having a gunsmith bring the trigger pull down to about 3.5 lbs. I am going to shoot the production division this year,and see how much I like uspsa. My real love is 3 gun so I am going to concentrate mostly on that. I guess the though of spending 2 grand on a pistol that needs to be worked, and $60 on Magazines that need to be tweeked to run, kind of blows my mind. I know a few guys in my club that have reached A and master, shooting almost factory glocks. I figure if I can do that, then I will deserve a sti. One more thing that sealed the deal for me was the 2 month wait just for a edge with a trigger job. Thanks again,

OK, so if I am reading this right, and I think I am. You brought up the Edge just to save face. You were never going to get the Edge to begin with... you wanted it as a cover. You knew your wife was going to take your beloved 1911 pistol and stick you with a plastic gun. You were just trying to cover!

Hmm, I guess we are the weaker sex. I would gladly give up my pistol to my wife if she would shoot competition with me.

P.S. Last Friday I got my new Edge from Dawson. Enhanced package, trigger job, and Roupe grip. It took a couple of days over a month.

Buddy

Don't get too attached to the new STI. You know what's going to happen don't you? :unsure:

I guess my husband knew this one early...so he bought 2. His is black and mine is blue.

But now he's worried that I might make B class before him. This last weekend he beat me in every stage but only by a few tenths in hit factor. No sandbagging allowed in this house.

:lol::lol::lol:

Thank you sweetheart... :wub:

You need to quit buying stuff for her and let HER pick out what she wants. Pay the man what it costs to take it home and be happy. If she wants a gagillion dollar open gun, buy it. It really is that simple.

Sometimes we try to help other people (read:women) a lot more than they need, they have preferences and ideas just like we do. Cut her loose to do her own thing, it is a better way.

+1

AMEN and HALLELUJAH!!!! This man knows what he is talking about!!

BTW Honey, can I have a gagillion dollar open gun?? Oh yeah that's right....I've all ready got one. ;)

***Words of advice....when you get your new gun DO NOT LET YOUR WIFE SHOOT IT!! If she shoots it, you will lose it! We are quite happy (shooting wives) when we don't know what we are missing. ;) Just my 2 cents...not speaking for ALL shooting wives.

+2 to that. I introduced my wife to shooting 3 months ago. She now owns and shoots 4 different pistols when we go to the range. Shooting 2-3 times /week with her is why I ordered a 550B from Brian last night. :D Hell, she's so hot to trot that SHE is building me a new workbench in the garage, and wants to be actively involved in the reloading process. Credit cards were already blown out buying ammo the last couple of months, so I borrowed funds out of the 401K for the 550. :rolleyes:

Let her shoot all she wants..it's how I ended up with my 550B enroute !

Well, here is the deal, My wife, has decided to take up uspsa . I bought her a xd 9mm a couple of years ago, and she seemed to really like it. Well since then I have bought her a holster, 2 double mag pouches,and 5 mags. We have been practicing alot lately, and I have just about given up on her. She sucks with a handgun. Everytime I have her shoot at paper, she hits low. I then decided to have her shoot a 22 pistol, to help her get over her flinchy habbits. She shoots it better then I do. I am telling you, she was shooting 2 inch groups at 20 yds off hand. Ok, I said, what can we do here, she says, well, let me try your Kimber a few times. I am immediately thinking that her and a 45 are not going to go good together. WRONG. She imediately burns a 10 round clip into a softball sized area on the man size target A zone. Ok, I said lets just see if you are messing with me. I put a 8" plate at 25 yrds, and asked her to shoot it as fast as she can, from the holster, then run up and double tap the man size targets from 7 yrds. She did this just perfectly. And the double taps were no more then 3" apart, all in the A. The worst part is , she just got done burning up a whole clip trying to hit the 8" plate with her xd at 20 yds.

Ok, here in lies the question, where do i go from here? I am assuming the nice trigger with a short travel is the key to her success. I Was thinking of maybe giving her the Kimber,selling the xd, and buying myself the sti edge. I guess I could also buy her another 1911 of her choice, but she really like the kimber. Will the 45 get to be to much for her after a while? Can I teach her to shoot the xd? what would you do? either way, i know this is going to end up costing me alot of money.

I'm jealous of you. :wub:

You have an opportunity to spend some really quality time with your bride!

PI$$ ON THE EXPENSE.

I say that it's money well spent. :D

Your jealous, you say? Yeah, my wife Lynn died last year and I wish I was in your boots, so that I could spend some quality time with her. :(:(:(:(

Man I miss her! :(

Edited by RePete

Give Bob a call at Brazos Custom about the Edge. He sells what he calls a High Performance Edge complete and ready to race for $2,000. It comes hard chromed with a fiber optic front sight, extended mag release , his magwell and a trigger job. Pretty sweet deal. It's listed on his website with more info about the complete package.

Give Bob a call at Brazos Custom about the Edge. He sells what he calls a High Performance Edge complete and ready to race for $2,000. It comes hard chromed with a fiber optic front sight, extended mag release , his magwell and a trigger job. Pretty sweet deal. It's listed on his website with more info about the complete package.

I did e-mail Bob, he is the one that told me it would be june, before he even got a edge in, much less worked it. And he required $400 down to reserve one. I am going to wait.My xd tactical should here Friday. Thanks for the suggestion though.