Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Oakley shooting glasses

gunner40sw

I need some new shooting glasses and I came across a ballistic shooting array set of  three lens M frame set made by Oalkey for  $234.99.

What I was wondering if anyone else has used this set and what they think of it.  I have tried regular Oakley glasses and they seem really nice.

Thanks  Tom

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what I use, and most of us here in France uses them too.

I really like the shape that covers completely my eyes and protect from the sun, dust, or worse...

The lenses are high quality and are the best I found.

Be sure to have at least one lens for the sun, one neutral and another one up to your choice to fit all the light conditions.

Oakley is the only glasses I wear since many years, not only for shooting but for driving, running, cycling, doing nothing under the sun.........

My advice is: GO FOR IT !

The price can be considered as high, but quality as a price and if you take care of them, they will last a looooong time.

DVC

Julien

I'd get it.  I have a pair of Pro M-Frames with just the regular dark (non Irridium) lense.  Love em.

With the three lenses, its a buy.  Clear lenses run about $35 ea.  Colored are $60 plus.  With the case, I'd say its a good deal.  Not chump change, but worth it.

I've gone through just about every shooting glasses going. I picked up a pair of the Rudy project ones this season. They don't fog up like all the others. I had gargoyles, wiley X, Rayban, and oakley's and they all fogged and got scratched up in a season or less. The Rudy's have a scrath replacement guarantee. I think APS has a special on them.

Quote: from Chriss Grube on 3:19 pm on Aug. 24, 2002

I've gone through just about every shooting glasses going. I picked up a pair of the Rudy project ones this season. They don't fog up like all the others. I had gargoyles, wiley X, Rayban, and oakley's and they all fogged and got scratched up in a season or less. The Rudy's have a scrath replacement guarantee. I think APS has a special on them.

How's the feel of the Rudys compared to the Oakleys?

I bought my Oakleys from

http://www.backcountrystore.com

M-Frame Sweep with gray lens.  I have not noticed any  scratches on  them so far. The nice thing about them is that you can get different lens. I looked at the shooting array set. A little too much money for glasses.

For $ 100, you can get the basic glasses. add another $ 30 for clear or persimon for days when it is not so sunny and you are good to go.

Chris,

You hit the nail right on the head. You have to use what feels comfortable to you. The last thing you want is to be standing on the line and have your glasses feel out of sync.  Bad, very bad.

You would not wear a certain cleat just because everyone else does unless they fit right. Glasses are the same way. I found the Oakleys fit me perfect so I stopped looking. I assure you, if they did not fit 100%, I'd still be looking for some that did.

• 2 months later...

Not wanting to use this forum just as a selling point, I thought I would take a minute to advertise the Rudy Project line of lenses and frames.

I appreciate the fine comments already posted about this great line.  

RP glasses were built with racing in mind, 100% optical clarity and true optical centered technology.  With enough adjustments and frame styles to fit virtually any face.  

Huge amounts of research and technology went into the design of the materials, lens color choices and frame design, and the new 2003 line is even more promising than previous years.

The Kerosene line is the number 1 selling line, but will soon be replaced with the Freeon line for most shooters who do not require an RX insert.

When it comes to RX inserts RP can't be beat.  For under 200 bucks you can be in Kerosene's or any number of other frames with your prescription lens included.  If you want a selection of lens colors to choose from in diff. light conditions it is not a problem, the RX insert remains the same, all you have to do is change lenses.  You could be in a set of RP's with a mirrored lens, clear, yellow, racing red, action brown, and a smoked black lens for bright but not so bright conditions with your RX insert with a hard shell case for around 350 bucks.

Lifetime scratched lens replacement policy, and a 2 year frame warranty are standard.  (nominal shipping and handling charges apply)

Some 30% of the shooters at the SV match in Las Vegas were in Rudy Projects, Pro's like Athena Lee, JJ Racazza and Matt Burkett, Delta Troopers, SF Teams, Ranger units, DOE, DEA, US Marshalls, the Secret Service are all in line testing and training with the Rudy Project line.

Oakleys are great, yes the lenses do scratch and any reputable dealer will warn you to take care of them. The shooter pack comes with a hard case that protects them (most glasses I have had get damaged rolling around in the car, or other times they are off your face) Clean them properly and they will last along time.

Their lenses are by far the best, I can wear them all day with no problem, almost every other I have tried give me headaches after awhle from distorted lenses.

And the impact resistance is amazing, I saw somebody (with more money than sense :) ) shoot a pair with a .40. Big dent, no cracks, no penetration. They work as advertised. I'm happy with mine.

If you know someone who works for the government or law enforcement, you can get the 'government' discount which is 50% off retail.

I picked up a pair of the military Pro M's and 3 lens's for under $200.  The military versions are great if you like flat black, but for the price you can beat it :)

The 50% discount on Oakley is factory direct, and only serves to bring the price of the glasses closer to reality.  

Just as an example the brand new Freeon frame is available with 2 lenses at 25% off retail to government employees in any capacity.  With 3 lenses it is still well below 200 bucks!  Add to that the lifetime scratched lens replacement policy and it is pretty hard to beat.

A person could get a pair of Kerosene's with one lens same warranty and lens replacement and spend under 100 bucks with the government discount.

Not to knock any other company out there, no one even comes close to the lens clarity, adjustability, warranty, customer service, price or any of a hundred other comparison venues.  

Jim,

I was actually pretty impressed by the Rudy's when I saw them at the Desert Classic.  My friend Wayne H. kept handing me a pair everytime I walked near their booth.

I would of purchased a pair if I just hadn't invested in the Oakleys.  The Racing Red lens was just about perfect for the weather there.

I always tell people that the only ones who do not like the Rudy Projects better in everyway, are the ones who have just bought Oakley's.

I even thought about trying to set up a used glasses market so shooters with Oakley's could still upgrade, and not be out extra money for an honest mistake, but all that would mean is I would be stuck with a table full of Oakley's.

They are great, thanks for the kind words.

If you know someone who works for the government or law enforcement, you can get the 'government' discount which is 50% off retail.

Chris,

Thanks for the tip, I had no idea Oakley offerred such a great discount.  I'm ordering a few new lenses this week.

FYI: the phone # for the gov't employee discount is 800.525.4334, funny thing is that they did not ask me for any proof that I am a Federal employee.