Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who Makes The Next Softest Primers?

Bucky

Topic says it all. Whose primers are the softest after Federals? Is it Winchester small pistol? How are the Remingtons? Word is that the CCIs are very hard.

Either way, I'm figuring I'll have to up my mainspring weight on my production gun.

TIA.

i've heard that the Winchesters are the next softest after Federal.

Some folks claim that the remingtons are as hard as the CCIs.

i have no data to support any of this. this is all hearsay from this and other forums.

I believe that Remington is the next in line. CCI are the hardest.

I don't know where the Remington's fall in the mix, but I lost a slide 13 year's ago due to Remington's (back in the last primer shortage). In less than a thousand rounds, I had a full circle of erosion on the breachface. The primers wouldn't seal.

Just my own experience with Remingtons.

Kenny

(I'm well stocked on Federal's) ;)

I would try Remingtons, then Winchester.

I would first buy a Hand primer, sounds like the RCBS model is pretty good, and hand prime your match ammo with the Rems or Feds, making sure that they are all pre crushed. Then try them with your reduced actions and see if they will run. I know it will be a little more work, but try it. It may work fine for the match ammo.

Another option is to find your buddy with a 1050, buy him some beer, and come over and prime your brass with it......(you can adjust the depth of the primer depth, and precrush the primers until you see the anvil pushing up on the primer face). :)

I think that would ensure that your match ammo is 100% reliable and ready to go....just another option to try..... :(

Good luck,

DougC

I have been using Fed primers exclusively since I started reloading for 9mm. Well, around here, Fed primers are now non-existant so I bought 200 Win small pistol primers and loaded them up.

I could not believe how much easier the Win primers seated than the Fed primers (using Dillon 550B). I mean it was daylight and dark on the ease that the win primers seated over the fed primers. Don't get me wrong, I didn't have to "cram" the fed primers in, but the win primers just seem "smoother"

Now, I shoot a G34 in production and use a lightened trigger striker spring. Out of 200 rounds today, I didn't have one single light primer strike. I'm sold and bought 10K win small pistol primers. YMMV

Edited by glock_556

Now, I shoot a G34 in production and use a lightened trigger spring. Out of 200 rounds today, I didn't have one single light primer strike. I'm sold and bought 10K win small pistol primers. YMMV

Are you talking about a lightened striker spring? A lightened trigger spring should have no effect on how hard the striker hits the primer.

I would try Remingtons, then Winchester.

I would first buy a Hand primer, sounds like the RCBS model is pretty good, and hand prime your match ammo with the Rems or Feds, making sure that they are all pre crushed. Then try them with your reduced actions and see if they will run. I know it will be a little more work, but try it. It may work fine for the match ammo.

Another option is to find your buddy with a 1050, buy him some beer, and come over and prime your brass with it......(you can adjust the depth of the primer depth, and precrush the primers until you see the anvil pushing up on the primer face). :)

I think that would ensure that your match ammo is 100% reliable and ready to go....just another option to try..... :(

Good luck,

DougC

The XL650 has no stop for the primer system, so doesn't it always seat the primers until they are flush?

I still have a couple sleeves of the Feds left, so I'll save them for the big matches and should be ok.

What type of primer?

I found that CCI large pistol primers light easier than Win. large.

Win. small pistol light easier than CCI small.

YMMV

Ah good point. I was referring to small pistol.

What type of primer?

I found that CCI large pistol primers light easier than Win. large.

Win. small pistol light easier than CCI small.

YMMV

Not in my 625 they didn't. Star brass primed with CCI's had a light strike 1 in every 3 moons while brass looking Winchesters worked for 200 rounds straight. I still have brass primed with nickel plated Winchesters WLP. I only prime with a RCBS hand primer.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried using the brass colored Winchester small pistol primers in my 627 with a C&S extended firing pin and a 13 pound mainspring. Out of 200 rounds fired, I had 3 failures to fire. I have not tried the Remington primers I have in stock yet, but will be trying them next. The Remington primers I have are about a year old. The Winchesters are between 1 and 2 years old. I too have heard that CCI's are the hardest to light and do not use them in my 650 due to the 650 jamming constantly when I tried them.

Vince

Edited by sargenv

I've READ that MagTech primers are very close or equal to Federal in that softness department. I emphasize READ that they work well in wheel guns with light springs. I have no experience with them. Just wanted to pass along the information.

Flex has had a major headache with magtech primers in his Glocks...I swapped him for Feds cause I got tired of watching him shoot a Glock Derringer.

So it would seem magtech is not recommened for modified Glocks or other light strike sensitive platforms.

Winchester works very well in a 650, much better than federal.

SA

Guys, when I get home next week I am going to use my 1050 and prime a bunch of Revo ammo, using Fed, Win(non-new box), and Rem small primers and report on the findings. We know that CCIs are hard as some of my friend's heads...and you know who you are... :rolleyes:;)

I am afraid that you will need to use a hand priming tool for your ammo, or find a friend that has a 1050 to "crush-fit" prime your brass and then load like normal on your press. Another option will be to make your action heavier ....... :huh: Nah, I didnt think that would be a popular option...... B)

See ya,

DougC