Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Actualizing trust

I noticed that when I allow myself to take the time to do, see, or feel what I know I need to do, see, or feel (from practice or some form of experience) - that it requires a tremendous amount of trust in order to actually pull it off. Trust meaning belief in that what you have trained to do is all you can do, with any sort of repeatability. And that that will be good enough. I also noticed (when I actualize trust), that is when I do my absolute best.

be

• 2 weeks later...

Ron, thanks for "breaking the ice" on that one.  I read it when it was first posted too.  I couldn't think of one thing to add or say about it at all.  Because, to me, what Brian wrote is so perfectly true.

Now, I'll try to comment without letting my silly ramblings trivilize the original thought.   As you said Brian, it is about trust.  And in another way, and at the same time,  it is also about honesty.   When I am out there trying to have "brilliant momets" instead of consistent performance, I am lying to myself and those I compete against.  It's easy to be like Icarus, and get so proud of my tin wings that I soar too close to the sun.  I loath myself when I do this, for there is no honor in this kind of behavior.   Call it "bad karma" or "getting what one deserves", but it just isn't right.  Instead of trying to shoot like someone else, we owe it to the game to shoot like ourselves.  By trying to shoot beyond my ability, I refuse to acknowledge my weaknesses.  If I refuse to acknowledege weaknesses, how can I turn them into strengths?    If we find that we keep covering the same ground over and over again in our development it is because we are failing the test of truth.   In shooting, as in life.   -Sam

Yeah, you've gotta be paying attention to that trust-- I did a little too much 'trusting' (aka: hoping it'll all work out) and ended up missing a ton of little plates this weekend.. Other than that, the confidence to walk up to a stage, scope it out and say "Yeah, I can do that" is tremendous.

shred,

"I did a little too much 'trusting' (aka: hoping it'll all work out)"

Yes, definitely, trust has nothing to do with hope. Trust arises from real, personal knowledge, and is the result of personal investigation and discovery - and has nothing to do with hope or trying of any kind. No doubts of any kind accompany trust.

be

• 4 weeks later...

I was there this evening with this post in my mind.  There were six popper's, two mini's between two pair of full size about a foot apart at 31 feet.  I just told myself to see what I needed to see and not wait to see what happens.  Well I drew and the poppers were still falling as I finished in 4.06.  This was with my fixed sight, L10 Commander in an UM Kydex holster.  The open gunner was a 3.18.

I'm certainly no where near being able to do this on demand but I recorded everything in my mind for reference.  And I know not to 'try' to do it again or to 'create' the thoughts I had.  But I did notice things that I had never noticed before and that the only thing you can do is 'do' or 'do not'.  

Thanks,

Joe  

The force is strong in this one...feels good, don't it?

I had a cool moment shooting steel with a dot last saturday, and just zingin' IPSC poppers and seeing the ones I just hit fall like dominoes behind the ones I was hitting. It was like the whole thing was pre-ordained and I just had to hit the play button... Neat. I had to have been calling those shots because they fell so slow I couldn't wait to see the hits to move on.

SA

• 2 years later...

i think i felt the force at today's clubshoot here in manila:o

on the third to the last array of my last stage (24 rounds, 11 boards, 2 poppers), my cz85b jammed due to my mag spring. it took a while for me to clear it, once cleared, i proceeded to shoot that array which has two boards and a popper further down. as i was traversing to my left to engage the 2nd to the last, i had a mag change.and there it happened, i shot the loan ipsc board on that and quickly moved to the center where there was an opening (2 ipsc boards left and right, popper at the center), after shooting the first board on this opening, i had the fastest transition to the popper up to the last board. :lol:

what amazed me was my run after clearing the jam, when i hit the last popper, there was this tiny voice the back of my head, "dang, i did that?" :unsure:

i really had good hits, only 2 Cs! though my time was at 34s due the jam :(

reflecting what occured to me as i made my way uprange:

i recalled that after clearing the jam, the only thought in my mind was to catch up. and as i was shooting the remaining targets, i realized that...i was just shooting. i mean i was in a hurry and all to catch up but the way i engaged the rest of the stage wasn't like me at all.

well it just felt great, i had to post this :)

9MX,

I can relate.....

To bad you can trust yourself to accomplish something you know you can but then something goes South with the gun.

This weekend shooting a stage (with revo) I chose to shoot 1 paper and 4 steel knowing I was going to hit all 4 steel.....

LAMR.... Shooter ready.....BEEP.....

Draw 2 A on paper bang 1 steel click, bang 1 steel, bang 1 steel, click, click, click.(now that I have struck the primer on the perpitrating round that has not gone off twice it is now time to reload) and shoot the last steel that must be shot from the start box.

Note.....

Since I have been home I have attempted to fire the afore mentioned round 15 more times and it has not gone off. :angry::angry::angry:

Aside from the extra reload caused by the non-firing round the entire stage went good because I trusted myself even after the mechanical problem.

BE....

Thanks for putting it in perspective.

Hopalong

I had a dose of The Force today at the range (last weekend, too, actually)... Was it Trust? I dunno. I just copped an attitude that said, "This target is MINE!" and stared at the center of it, took my stance (this was a one-handed deal, mind you) and the results were awesome. Copping an attitude and claiming the target. If that's trust, then it's trust. I find that "copping the attitude", however, works for ME.

9mx, I'm glad to see this post again. Yeah, from your description, I think you caught a glimpse of it. And that glimpse is really all there is. If you try to project it forward or examine it's past, it disappears like a vap....

And that glimpse is really all there is. If you try to project it forward or examine it's past, it disappears like a vap....

yeah, like a dream that never was -_- an actualization of what i've read on BE's book :D

I digress to golf yet again.

I've learned a lot from watching Tiger Woods, and understanding the things he goes through as he "experiments" and changes his swing.

The one overriding message is "trusting his swing."

David Duval is a GREAT golfer - I'd guess on an average round he shoots mid 60's every time. But in competition he doesn't trust, and he tries. That is his downfall.

Brian, I read your book probably 14 years ago the first time and the one quote that rings in my head is about "trying, the very word contradicts itself"

You do (and you trust) or you do not.

JB

After reading "The Book" I realized that I was trying to make shooting harder than it has to be. The analogies that were presented (such as to driving) really struck home. I thought back to times when I was driving at excessive speeds and had to make an evasive manuever. The reaction was purely subconscious. If it had been conscious, it would have been too late. I trusted what I saw and allowed my subconscious to control the reaction. In those situations I remember feeling completely relaxed and confident about the outcome. I only consciously examined the incident after it was over.

• 2 weeks later...

I made a big discovery yesterday in regards to trust. We had a stage in which there were 6 ipsc targets at 7 yds in a U shape, then 5 Poppers spread out at around 20 yds, with a ipsc target hardcovered with only the A and B zone available at 30 yds.

When I shot them with my LTD and production guns I knew that the guns were on at 25 yds, and just called the shots on the far targets and kept moving. I had all As, whereas my buddies put 3-4 rounds on the target due to not trusting their call on their shots. It felt pretty good to be able to do that, but then it was a weakness and I have been working on it too.... :lol:

Since I have been dryfiring and working on weaknesses I am finding that I am having fewer weaknesses in matches. It is an incredible feeling!

Regards,

DougC

• 2 weeks later...
I noticed that when I allow myself to take the time to do, see, or feel what I know I need to do, see, or feel (from practice or some form of experience) - that it requires a tremendous amount of trust in order to actually pull it off. Trust meaning belief in that what you have trained to do is all you can do, with any sort of repeatability. And that that will be good enough. I also noticed (when I actualize trust), that is when I do my absolute best.

be

In this context, it seems you are using the word "trust" in a place I would substitute "confidence".

Trust meaning belief in that what you have trained to do is all you can do, with any sort of repeatability. And that that will be good enough.
In effect, this is simply a belief that you will be able to do what you did when you were training under pressure of competition.

I call that building a confidence level in the belief that I will do exactly what I trained to do. The certainty of belief varies.... tends to be reduced when I choke and yank one off the page.

I digress to golf yet again.

I've learned a lot from watching Tiger Woods, and understanding the things he goes through as he "experiments" and changes his swing.

The one overriding message is "trusting his swing."

What I (and everybody else) have noticed on Woods is that he used to have a very long, arcing swing that was not pressure proofed. he would get under pressure and try to over hit it, and spin his body out of the way (ahead of his hands) opening the club face and sending the ball right every time. His "new swing" has less backswing and more control. He stays "behind" the shot now. he still crushes the ball, he never needed the extra rotation to hit it 350 yards.

In this context, it seems you are using the word "trust" in a place I would substitute "confidence".

I follow you. Thinking about it, to me, trust implies a deeper, stronger feeling than I get from the word confidence. I am confident that my physical and mental techniques will get the job done. In a match, I "trust" that all I need to do is execute the techniques I've trained to do, and that will be good enough.

The reason I use the word trust is because that word "came to me" one day, after reflecting on a fairly amazing run on a course of fire. I realized that what had been missing from my match performances up till then was this deeply rooted knowledge that all I needed to do was exactly what I had trained to do. I did not need to add anything extra, nor did I need to eliminate anything from what I was preparing to do.

Moreover, I also realized that what it "felt like," to do just what I had trained to do, did not feel the same in a match as it did in practice. Over time, I learned to accommodate that realization in matches, just before shooting, by throwing out any attachment to the feeling of passing time. Stage after stage, match after match, year after year...

be

I know what you're saying/feeling Brian. The hard part, it seems, is getting into that zone when all sorts of other things are happening mentally, especially at big matches. To feel relaxed and trusting at a "big-match" seems like an impossibility when you've spent soo much time and money to get there.

"..Stage after stage, match after match, year after year..."

I suppose the more big matches a person shoots, the more relaxed and trusting they can be?

I feel very relaxed and trusting at local matches..... :P

Is treating Nationals like it's just another local match a good idea?

Hmmm..

TD

I follow you. Thinking about it, to me, trust implies a deeper, stronger feeling than I get from the word confidence. I am confident that my physical and mental techniques will get the job done. In a match, I "trust" that all I need to do is execute the techniques I've trained to do, and that will be good enough.

The reason I use the word trust is because that word "came to me" one day, after reflecting on a fairly amazing run on a course of fire. I realized that what had been missing from my match performances up till then was this deeply rooted knowledge that all I needed to do was exactly what I had trained to do. I did not need to add anything extra, nor did I need to eliminate anything from what I was preparing to do.

Moreover, I also realized that what it "felt like," to do just what I had trained to do, did not feel the same in a match as it did in practice. Over time, I learned to accommodate that realization in matches, just before shooting, by throwing out any attachment to the feeling of passing time. Stage after stage, match after match, year after year...

be

The interesting thing is your realization sounds "digital" to me (I'm an electrical engineer). In other words, it's a two state system: you either achieve the level of trust you seek or you don't achieve it. And you know if you have or if you have not.

For me, "confidence" applies because it is more linear. It goes from pretty much no confidence that I will perform what I want to up to a high level of confidence... which may or may not be proven justified. Point is, I suspect eventually if you get good enough at this or anything else, it crosses over to the digital zone where you know if you are either there or not. Because you have performed at the high level under pressure so many times, doubt has been driven out... and your "range of expected performance" becomes quite narrow, as does your range of actual performance. So you may shoot at the upper edge of the range or the lower based on factors, but know what the range will be.

As opposed to some of us who pray for a cross wind because we are stinking the place up on a bad day.....

How about this...

No matter where your confidence level may be (you may feel you suck or you may feel you are superman)...your best bet to perform to your current true ability is to trust.

I'm not sure how saying that helps me do it. If I don't have the confidence and absolute belief that I will perform exactly as I have planned (or close to it), it ain't gonna happen. The baseline of confidence is a necessary (but not sufficient) condition to even get to where you could have that level of trust.

Here is something from experience.

I shot a match and on one of the 22 round courses there were a lot of no shoots though targets were generally close 5-12 meters.

I shot it the way i usually shoot and hit a no shoot and about 4 down. that makes 10+4+5 down and shot it around 12 seconds. with a hf of 7.58.

After the match ended i shot it again this time making sure that i do not it the no shoot. In other words i lost my trust in my ability. shot it 12 down due to avoiding the white and selttled with the A/C area instead of the A zone and 2 seconds slower(due to getting a better sight picture). with a hf of 7 hf.

Lesson learned is that you should trust and forget everything even if you mike or hit a no shoot. forget about it on the next stages. It will affect your shooting and results