Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Meopta Specific Questions?

dghboy315

Another scope to look at is the Trijicon Accupoint 1.25-4x. Excellent optics, and that fiber optic triangle really draws you eye. I personally don't care for optics that require batteries. Too old fashioned, I guess. Though I do have a J-Point on a Glock open gun, but that's just a toy!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Another scope to look at is the Trijicon Accupoint 1.25-4x. Excellent optics, and that fiber optic triangle really draws you eye. I personally don't care for optics that require batteries. Too old fashioned, I guess. Though I do have a J-Point on a Glock open gun, but that's just a toy!

I'm curious if anyone is using the Trijicon as well.. the only thing I was concerned about was hold over at distance as the triangle might obscure the plates. I had a three post recticle on a 1.5 to 6 Burris that suffered from that problem, when you held over it blocked the plate. I realize the Trijicon has an 'open' post so it might be you just put the triangle on top of the plates at distance. It would have been sweet if Trijicon put some ranging cross marks on that post, somewhat like a Burris Ballistic Plex.

I'm curious if anyone is using the Trijicon as well.. the only thing I was concerned about was hold over at distance as the triangle might obscure the plates. .... I realize the Trijicon has an 'open' post so it might be you just put the triangle on top of the plates at distance.
I think that's the TR21's main downfall. With a standard 50 yard zero anything past 325 yards the reticle pretty much covers it. You may get a peek at the target through the slots... but that wasn't my experience.

I also question it's overall durability. Mine fogged up and the adjustments weren't that great. To Trijicon's credit my friend who I sold it too (with disclosures and a big discount) got it fixed without any problems. There's a local shooter here who is supposed to have gone through 5 of them before getting one that worked. But he still uses them so that's gotta be a testament on how good the scope is... given that it works.

If 3 Gun was only 300 yards and under... after using the TR21 and the Meopta I would choose the TR21 (assuming that it's in a proper working order). The reticle is much better up close than the Meopta "T". The TR21 is noticeably lighter. While it has a smaller FOV than the Meopta, the semi-scout eye relief of the TR21 and its lighter weight made up for it --- I feel that the TR21 gave me faster transitions.

But 3 Gun isn't limited to 300 yards. Given shooters with equal skill the Meopta user would eat the TR21 user's lunch on the 325+ yard targets.

I mounted the Trijicon 1.25-4 on a POF upper I received last week, and used that set up in a 3-gun class with Dave Neth over the weekend. All I can say about the scope is that it functioned flawlessly. I was only able to bore sight it before the class, so I had some issues at first hitting the plates. After I sighted it in at 50 yards, though, it was dead on for the rest of the class. Optics are excellent. The bright reticle is easy to pick up, and it's very fast. Even off hand shots at 8" plates at 100 yards seemed easy. Adjustments were precise and reliable.

Perhaps it won't be the best optic for +350 yard shooting because it may be difficult to estimate hold over, but I don't feel that will be a big problem in the vast majority of matches. The speed of this sight on closer targets makes up for anything lacking in the long range department. If a particular match is heavy toward long range it may be a slight handicap. I don't know. I plan to use this set up at the MGM Ironman, so I guess I'll find out.

BTW, the POF upper (18" w/Predator fore end) functioned as advertised. No stoppages. Well, none that were the fault of the upper. The hammer quit resetting on my JP trigger, which was fixed with a little file work, but that sure wasn't the upper's fault. I wasn't able to do any real accuracy testing, but from what I saw it's more than adequate. After about 100 rounds fired the receiver was almost totally clean. For someone who HATES cleaning guns, that's a real blessing! The bore does need some smoothing out, though, even though it's chrome lined. 6 or 8 passes wears out a bore brush. Lots of shooting, or perhaps a few passes with JB Bore Cleaner should smooth it out.

• 2 weeks later...

So is the K-Dot a "true" 1X like an aimpoint or EOTech? I'm talking no parallax, no exit pupil, inifite eye relief, etc. I see a lot of variable power scopes offering "true" 1X but I'm not sure what that means. When I look at K-Dot spec sheets it mentions eye relief but I would assume this if for magnified operation only?

I was sold on one of the new Elcan Specter DR's until I was able to check one out in person and even in 1X it was still behaving like a "scope" w/ an exit pupil and all.

I'm spoiled w/ my EOTech - maybe I should just hang a magnifier behind it on a flip-mount?

Chris

No. The Meopta has exit pupil and eye relief (about 3") just like any other optical scope. Don't know what the parallax is set to, but I'm guessing it's about 100m.

That said, the exit pupil and clarity are very good in comparison to other scopes of similar power ranges.

Parallax shouldn't be a huge issue with the right mount. Honestly, I think the EO Tech is at a huge disadvantage over 200 yds because of just how difficult it is to zero with the screw detents. I finally got mine zeroed to where I could hit a 12x12 plate at 350, but it took a hell of a lot of tweaking to not continually overrun the adjustments.

Between that and the dot bloom on the EO, it's really hard to recommend an EO over tube scope of any variety for 3-gunning. I have an EO and like it. It has it's place. 3-gun shooting west of the Adirondacks probably isn't one of them.

FWIW....

• 3 months later...

Is there a trick to getting the 2032 battery (cheaper and more readily available) to fit in the Meopta's compartment without sliding around? And adaptor maybe?

The 2032 has a smaller circumference than the included 2354 battery, but Meopta says it will work. I away from home so don't have the owner's manual in front of me to check myself.

Thanks.

As long as it works... who cares if it slides around? :lol:

Just mail order some 2354's.

http://www.batteriesandbutter.com/Merchant...;Category_Code=

It's like 100% more $ than the 2032's but they last quite a bit.

http://www.batteriesandbutter.com/Merchant...;Category_Code=

If you are not a fool like I am and leave it on after a match one 2354 battery is probably gonna last the average user a year+.

Update. After using the Accupoint TR21 most of the summer there are several matches under it's belt. It has been working well, but I do have a few small 'issues'.

There is a problem as to hold over on the longer targets. I don't feel that it's a big problem, though. I was able to nail the 400 yard plate at MGM Ironman. I needed to hold over, but I could see a sliver of the target between the posts, then sat the triangle reticle about a triangle's width above the target. I'm sure it still isn't as good as other scopes which have better hold-over capability, but it isn't bad for any match where long range isn't a major component.

The last time I bench rested the gun I noticed that when it was sandbagged up well, and I wasn't touching the gun, when I moved my eye around behind the scope there appeared to be some movement (a couple of inches) of the reticle on the target at 100 yards. I called Trijicon, and the tech I talked to said that the best he could find out was that parallax is set for 100 yds. If that is the case I may have a problem. I'm not ready to send it back yet, but may do that after the match season.

Today while dry firing I noticed what looked like a 'ghost' reticle, slightly offset from the 'real' reticle. It seemed to go away when I turned down the fiber optic. I don't know if it's a scope problem, or my old eyes. Maybe my astigmatism or insipient cataracts are playing tricks on me.

Still, I think it's a good scope. It's fast on the close targets and it's useable on the long ones. I'm not so sure that the problems I talked about above aren't 'operator headspace'! :rolleyes:

The last time I bench rested the gun I noticed that when it was sandbagged up well, and I wasn't touching the gun, when I moved my eye around behind the scope there appeared to be some movement (a couple of inches) of the reticle on the target at 100 yards. I called Trijicon, and the tech I talked to said that the best he could find out was that parallax is set for 100 yds. If that is the case I may have a problem. I'm not ready to send it back yet, but may do that after the match season.

That's a problem. If you can, try checking from 50 to 300+. If there isn't *somewhere* in there that's zero parallax, you have major issues.

And FWIW, I sent my *used* Meopta with a parallax problem back to Meopta. They said, "Yup, you gots issues" and sent me a *new* scope. :)