Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Magpul Ar Mags

PaulW

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tested out a few this weekend worked great with every thing but some 62gr Golden Bear JHP The hollow point would occasionally catch on the area between the feed ramps. With regular ball ammo they worked great. I think they are going to be great 3-gun magazines.

Waiting for www.44mag.com to stock them. They are replacing it with chrome silicon springs for free.

He's out already huh? The three I got last week were from him.

The reason I think they are going to be better than USGI magazine for 3-gun is the fact that they are a polymer instead of a Aluminum. In any USPSA match its just a matter of time before someone accidentally stomps on one of you mags. These new PMAG don't dent or bend.

mcb

• 2 months later...

Tried out 4 of the 5 PMags (ordered more, all that I have received so far) today. Totally flawless. They take a bit more of a bump to seat than an aluminum mag, but that's a good thing. I have been stuck on NHMTG mags, but I think I just found my new "Go To" mags. I'm totally impressed. They're not the cheapest mags on the market, but they seem to be far and away the best value when you factor in the durability. Unless there's some hidden flaw, these mags look like they'll run circles around everything else on the market.

I think that the only "downside" might be weight for soldiers in the field. The mags are a tad heavier than an aluminum mag when fully loaded, and the large floorplate might cost some capacity in a mag pouch due to the extra width.

It will be interesting to see how they hold up over time, particularly in the heat. I plan to leave a mag out in the truck over the summer to see if it warps at all.

Now if only they make a mag for the SR-25 platform....

• 2 weeks later...

The only problem I have had is failures to feed when I have done the monopod thing with the PMAGS. I have only done it with the one rifle, so far, which is a DPMS lower with a JP upper. Otherwise, they have fed everything I have stuffed in them. I've never had this problem with GI mags in any of my AR's.

Anyone else monopod off the PMAG?

Anyone else monopod off the PMAG?

I had no issues. I'll try it again this week. My rifle is a stock Rock River. I'll try to remember to throw the Colt in the truck and try that too.

My problem is that under tension the top round nosedives ever so slightly and non-pointed bullets get caught on the front of the mag body. This is not a problem for ball or the v-maxes that I normally compete with, but it does stop a mag loaded with smk's or my favorite hornady 75 MHPs. Nevertheless, I would feel the need to shoot the heck out of one to trust it for anything other than range work. Given the experience of everyone I have read however, I think it would work just fine. Perhaps with time the spring would relax a bit and the tension problem would sort itself out.