Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Real World Experience With Polymer Wolf .223-anyone?

gl

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the subject of extractors..... they are a maintenance part, change them every 2-3 k if you have a huge fear of them breaking.

I don't really keep track of how many rounds I shoot. If go with changing it out every 2-3K rounds I'd actually have to keep track of the number of rounds I shoot. :P

It's just not the extractor I am concerned with. I have a bolt that I used with Wolf and brass cased ammo that has one of it's teeth peened and rounded. Instead of hitting the back of the case and feeding it into the chamber the bolt goes over the round because the teeth that hits the case is rounded and not square. I would think that a bolt that smacks the back of a steel case (harder) is gonna have more wear than a bolt that only hits brass cased (softer) ammunition.

Here's an odd wolfism:

It's been over 20 years since my Army time, where I learned to HATE my M16. Recently, I decided to give the platform a second chance and bought a DelTon 20" kit. I bought 100 UMC and 60 Wolf 55's (New Production) to break it in with. I still have 2 AdventureLine 20rd mags from way back that appear to work just fine.

Took it out and ran both mags thru with the UMC ammo perfectly.

Reloaded both mags with Wolf.

Bang. Click.

??? Slap. Pull. Observe. (No bullet??) Release. Tap. Shoot.

Bang. Click.

Repeat for 40 rounds.

Reload both mags with UMC and run 40 flawlessly.

Reloaded one mag with the last of the Wolf and...

Bang. Click. Repeat for 20 rounds

For whatever reason, my rifle will not feed the wolf ammo.

Comments?

Edited by BBunin

Wolf is loaded to lower pressure and may have a problem working some guns. Like I said, Wolf tends to short stroke (what your DelTon seems to be doing) in one of my guns, also BTW a 20". I think there is something to the length of barrel. They say that 20" guns tend to be more reliable than carbines, but I think that applies mostly to full power ammo, in particular military ammo. There is much less gas pressure operating the action in rifles than carbines, due to the distance down the barrel where the gas port is located, and the fact that the gas has longer to travel to reach back to the action. So, I think rifles are more sensitive to low pressure ammo than carbines.

• 3 weeks later...

I know a new AR is slightly different than a late 20th century (can't belive we can say stuff like that now) M16 service rifle, but I ran new 55gr Wolf with a Beta mag (100 rds) full auto multiple times with the M16 and the only issue I had was 100 rounds only lasting about 8-10 seconds. Haven't had any issues in my 2 AR's either.

I shot a local USPSA rifle match a few eeekends ago and I shot 240 rounds of Wolf 55 HP through my 16 in AR with no issues. The stages were all up close and personal so I cannot comment on long range accuracy but it hosed very well.

I just got back from the range and went through 300 or so rounds of the 55gr HP with a brand new RRA upper and it performed flawlessly. I think Wolf is definitely a great value. Just like people that reload ammo, they don't save money, they just get to shoot more, same applies to Wolf. :)

I shot a local USPSA rifle match a few eeekends ago and I shot 240 rounds of Wolf 55 HP through my 16 in AR with no issues. The stages were all up close and personal so I cannot comment on long range accuracy but it hosed very well.

I shot a USPSA side match with Wolf last weekend, no problems with it. The match scores haven't posted yet, but I did pretty good with it, will be curious to see how I placed vs. the guys with the JP rifles LOL

Given that steel case ammo was widely used by US forces in WW2, and we won the war, I'm guessing the guns can take it.

I didn't realize we won WWII with AR15 design guns, but I guess one learns something every day :mellow:

I have one of the zink-plated (galvanized) steel US Military GI issue .45 ACP cases someplace around here - but I believe the steel cased stuff in .45 and .38 Special was relegated to training ammo since there was always a posibility of corrosion of steel that was less of an issue with brass. Far as I know, the guns that were used with this training ammo did not require extractor replacement or anything else prior to being sent into combat.

Edited by Carlos

I've got 5k of wolf polymer 62gr through my dpms m4gery. I have not had any major malfunctions yet. It is not as consistant as other foreign or domestic ammo, but for the price it allows me to get a lot more practice for my $$$. I have replaced my gas rings once because they were looking a little thin on one side somewhere around 3k, they were original to the gun (which was used when I got it, unknow previous round count)

Polytech

I have a pretty finicky AR that shoots the wolf well. The laquer on the primers gets into every nook and cranny of the bolt but it cleans up easily enough. Most I have shot in one setting was 250 rounds but it held up for that well enough.

Ted

The title of the thread is "Real world experience with Wolf..."

What does that mean? Real World????

I hear that a bunch from some of our SWAT guys who allege they practice for the real world not the silly competition stuff.

Normally I hear this from inferior shooters who are making excuses (the SWAT guys) for their lack of skills and ability but how does it apply here?

Just curious, no offense intended...

The title of the thread is "Real world experience with Wolf..."

What does that mean? Real World????

I hear that a bunch from some of our SWAT guys who allege they practice for the real world not the silly competition stuff.

Normally I hear this from inferior shooters who are making excuses (the SWAT guys) for their lack of skills and ability but how does it apply here?

Just curious, no offense intended...

Real world experience as in actually shot the ammo thru their rifles instead of being an armchair commando and just talking crap about Wolf because it was the cool thing to do a few years back without actually having shot any of the newer polymer coated stuff.

As for SWAT, next time they tell you they train for the real world and not the silly competition stuff, ask them how and/or why training to shoot fast and accurate is silly. :) Competition training can only enhance their abilities in the "real world."

Edited by mgcchkn

Competition training can only enhance their abilities in the "real world."

"Any" kind of racing experience will "always" allow the competitor to handle "that" type of hardware better in a reflex situation when it is encountered in the real world ;-)

Y'all are dead nuts on!

As I've told them often, any proper practice or training will enhance your ability!

Look at the guys in Iraq, they learn or gain experience from the gun racers here and their equipment gets better because we field what works.

As to Wolf ammo, I haven't shot enough to say anything except buy the polymer cases. I've had no problems with the pistol ammo (9mm, 45 & 40) except it's pretty dirty and stopped the firing pin safety on my G17 in a thousand rounds without cleaning.

• 3 weeks later...

Shooting some wolf today at the local range. They don't allow any steel in the projectile due to fire danger. The range officer saw that I had Wolf and checked my ammo with a magnet... and they stuck. :surprise:

I was dumbfounded as in the past the Wolf that I had didn't have any magnetic components in the projectile. The previous stuff I had passed their test. He confiscated the boxes I had and told me I could have it back when I was done for the day.

Got home and pulled a bullet and it stuck to a magnet. So it wasn't the steel casing that had caused it to stick. There is steel (or something magnetic) in the bullet.

Something to consider.

Lot # P353-06. 55 grain. Steel with polymer cases.

I'm guessing they were manufactured in '06. Is the '07 stuff the same?