Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Optics?

1911vm

3 gun optic I did a search and read for almost 2 hours and got only more confused. 1 x 4 with a dot or with out, 1 x 3 with a dot or with out, eo-tech , meopta, Leupold, etc I wish I had enough money to try them all but I do not. If you had a choice of one what would it be.

Thanks Vlad

I used to run a Burris Speed Dot on my ar and came across a good deal on a "like new" Leupold CQT mk4 and love it. It's 1x3 power and good for 300 yrd shots. The only thing about the long shot is you really have to work on your point of aim. There is no mil dot reference for it, so it does take some getting used to. If I have my choice I would purchase a Valdada 1.1x4 CQB. Great glass and has a built in bullet drop compensator for .223. My friend has a 1.5x8 and man it's the sh$t. I think the 1x4 will run you about $900.00 so they are kinda pricey. I paid only $350.00 for my Leupold so do the math. If I build another ar I'll get the Valdada then. Good luck in your search.

Chris C.

Edited by headhunter25

I just got tired of thinking and went ACOG ;-) That and a secondary short range sighting system on the fore end is what I think is simple.

The cheap Simmons Pro-Diamond low powered variable shotgun scope is one way to try a low powered variable without spending too much, but trying an ACOG is best done by borrowing one from a friend with one ;-)

Buuuut, you have just opened back up what is the single biggest debate here outside of 9mm vs. .45 and heavy vs. light bullet in 9mm. Oh yeah, this is a real winner of a debate, NOT! ;-/

Another vote for the Leupold CQT. Sight it in for using the top of the dot at 100, center of the dot for 200, and setting the dot on top of the target at 300 yrds.

Works for my eyes, and don't feel the need for more power. But I don't shoot at targets over 350 yards very much. YMMV.

Here in Florida the 3 gun shoots are generally 100 to 150 maximum yardage. The Eotech works great for those ranges. I shot the AMU 3 Gun at Ft Benning with targets over 300 yards this year and will have a Valdada or one of the new Leupold variables with the illuminated dot and stradia lines before next year. (I shoot Tactical optics so only one optic is allowed). It will also be shot alot in practice so I don't have to guess about hold over etc.

And I'll echo George's sentiments..

Go to a 3 gun match.. at least look through a few different types of optics. There's a zillion choices.. and there's no clear winner for all shooting.

Try a few, make a best guess.. shoot the hell out of it.

And just know your Zero from 5' - 300yds.

I think Burkett (from his AR video) - chooses his optic for that match?

If I had a choice of one, it would be one of these three:

Trijicon ACOG TA-11 w/ donut reticle: Great up close and far

Trijicon Accu-Point 1.25-4x w/ red triangle: Same and you get a variable

Leupold CQ/T 1-3x w/ red circle dot: Haven't confirmed if they're making a red one, but if so...sweeeeet!

Rich

BTW, Tac optics allows the option of using a secondary sight system as long as it's not optical in nature. This allows tactical iron sight sets on the handguard for short range useage. This is what validates the use of a fixed optic up top IMHO. Otherwise, a variable would be the best all-round choice for Tac Scope.

Options allow choices and choices require testing and decisions ;-)

I use a Leupold 3.5-10x for my Rifle. The only bad thing is having it set to 10x when dealing with close targets, can we say, holy !!!, and crank it down real quick? :D I did this at Mystery Mountain a few years back, in the dark house lol.

I really like the ACOG's but just can't spend that kind of money on a scope, not because I don't want to, Wife would kill me. I just use the Leupold and swap it between my Bolt gun and my Mini-14.

Vince

1) Just relax. There is no one DOMINANT optic. If YOU can shoot, nearly anything will do. I've seen Mike Voigt kick everybody's ass with an Eotech, a TA11, a TR21, and B&L 3-9X. I don't think it was the scope. I've beat Mike shooting a Leupold 3-9X with a duplex reticle! ( :D )

2) Look through a whole bunch of scopes and pick what you like best. 3 gunners will show you anything you want to see (literally!!).

3) I'm currently relying on a Leupold 1.5-5X MR/T. It's a pretty decent optic as is the Meopta and the TR21. If I was going budget, I would get a Simmons 1.5-5X. I would not rely on a Red dot (by the time you pay for an Aimpoint 3X and a Samson mount, you could go through several Simmons scopes).

4) You cannot buy your way to victory. You can get a Schmidt and Bender/Zeiss/Leica/Leupold/NASA super scope and Kurt Miller and Bennie Cooley and Bruce Piatt and Ted Puente and yes even me will kick your ass with iron sights if you don't practice a WHOLE bunch.

5) Get a good zero what ever you decide.

Kellyn thanks for a straight answer. I understand what you are saying and is why a got a $159. Dollar 1x4 weaver and spent the rest of the money on ammo and started practicing. I just noticed difficulty seeing cross hairs against the berm and started wishing for a batter gadget. And besides this is something I need to save for so might as well do the research to get what I really like.

So far I like the dot to (for me ) not longer 100y. I like magnification 100 and up and I did not know if to go with a magnifying with exterior close sights

Or a magnifying with a dot /circle like meopta or leupold

And Kellyn besides all this is almost a mute point my heavy metal FAL is coming in next week and than there are no gadgets just practice.

I too did the massive search and thought process of which optic to buy. I would love to be able to afford the Meopta that everyone raves about. I shot my first 3-gun match last October with an Aimpoint Comp M, it was fun on all of the close in targets, but the flashers at 200+ yards were an embarrassment.

I just purchased a Mueller 2-7 Multi-Shot scope. It has a 1 moa illuminated dot with crosshairs and a circle. Supposed to be set up to use on a multitude of long guns. Plus the 7x will be fun out on the ground squirrel erradication practice range. Hopefully the link works.

Mueller Optics 2-7x32

I purchased it from one of the online dealers linked through the Mueller sight for $140.00 I should be getting it this week and will let you know how I like it.

Like everyone reminds us, it is all in the practicing, and being confident in your equipment helps.

I too did the massive search and thought process of which optic to buy. I would love to be able to afford the Meopta that everyone raves about. I shot my first 3-gun match last October with an Aimpoint Comp M, it was fun on all of the close in targets, but the flashers at 200+ yards were an embarrassment.

I just purchased a Mueller 2-7 Multi-Shot scope. It has a 1 moa illuminated dot with crosshairs and a circle. Supposed to be set up to use on a multitude of long guns. Plus the 7x will be fun out on the ground squirrel erradication practice range. Hopefully the link works.

Mueller Optics 2-7x32

I purchased it from one of the online dealers linked through the Mueller sight for $140.00 I should be getting it this week and will let you know how I like it.

Like everyone reminds us, it is all in the practicing, and being confident in your equipment helps.

looks cool. yes please ley me know if you like it

I have tried many of the optics currently on the market and the following list is what is important for me in an optic for 3-gun competition.

Variable power

True 1X low setting

Simple reticle

Real daytime illumination

Clear, Clear glass

Wide field of view

Rugged Build

Company that supports their products

I have considered optics from, Leupold, Burris, Hourus vision, Trijicon, Meopta, Elcan, Schmit&Bender, and Valdada. I have owned optics from 4 of the 8 and handled most of the rest. Only the Meopta 1-4 RD k-dot meets all my requirements. I like it so much I bought 2.

Recently I had the missfortune of dropping one with 9 lbs of AR15 attached too it and it landed top turret down on a hard tile floor. This is where rugged build and company support come in. The impact did not impart any damage to the utility of the optic. The glass was unfazed and the reticle /illumination was fine. It even still had a perfect zero. But the turret cap was slightly mushroomed and stuck tight. I shipped it off to Meopta explaning what I had done and they ordered a part and had it on its way back to me in about two weeks, no charge.

Quality glass by a Quality company is worth every penny...

Since most of the shooting is up close, Glass & FOV is everything. The more targets you can see in the scope, the faster you will be. I have set my min. field of view @ 85". My new meopta & horus 1x4 both have 111' field of view with true 1x.

Buying a Meopta means never having to say you're sorry... :)

I'm glad to hear you say that, I was having second thoughts after reading the thread up til now. I have a meopta on order and started to consider the leupold again. :)

I'm glad to hear you say that, I was having second thoughts after reading the thread up til now. I have a meopta on order and started to consider the leupold again. :)

Let me know if you go with the Leupold and want to sell the Meopta!! :D

After researching this to death it appears there are two schools of thought. One camp likes the red dot/holo scopes, the other goes for the low power traditional scopes. There appears to be a couple of choices with the low power variables. The Weaver and Leupold each have their following. The heavy plex the Leupold offers looks pretty good. I guess another choice would be the Simmons.

We had our first Tactical Rifle Match the other day. 75% of the shots were in our pistol bays. Most shots were less than 30 yds. The long range shots were flash targets at 200 yds.

I was not able to shoot the match, but did get a chance to shoot at the flash targets with a 20" iron sight AR. Did not have too much trouble hitting the targets.

The next match should have two classes - iron and optical.

I am still trying to decide which optical device to go with. I am probably not alone in this decision. My price point is <$400.