Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Countdown

Shooter Grrl

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My best friend at Auburn had already signed on the dotted line with an IT consulting firm before his last quarter and graduation. It was huge money back in the IT hiring craze of the late 1990's (pre-Y2K ya know). His oft quoted, simple mantra those last few months still echoes in my brain on crappy real world days: "D for Diploma!".

Boy I miss those carefree days.

A very hearty congratulations to you Kathy!

Well done. I am not sure if you are actually going to work in the field your degree is in. Some of us never have. :lol:

Regardless, it is one hell of an accomplishment and related field or not, it will always add to your salary at future positions. At least I have found that to be true.

Congrats.

Glad you found your guns as well. :P

Way to go Kath!

The sheepskin is way useful. Mine hides an ugly stain on the wall here in the den.

No, seriously...dropping out of college once was the second best thing I ever did (education wise). Going back and finishing things up a few years later was the best thing!

Tell the hubby that you need a graduation present. Maybe a nice new blaster... A vacation to some place warm... New car... :D :D :D

PS: You guys coming to Missoula for Nats this year?

Now Repeate one of the following sayings numerously and publicly

I are a graduate!

I has gradjieated! (grad-jeee-ate-ud)

I is a graduate!

I liked college so much that after I graduated I went back for 2 years.... I finally quit when it started seeming like I was raising other peoples kids every time I went out with a single freshman girl.

Congratulations, Kath! Now all you gotta do is pay off those student loans. :lol:

I liked college so much that after I graduated I went back for 2 years.... I finally quit when it started seeming like I was raising other peoples kids every time I went out with a single freshman girl.
And the solution was to go out with married ones? :P

No celebrating yet - I JUST finished my final project :)

One more team assignment to get through tonight - so the celebrating will have to wait... until RB gets back from Belgium on April 10!!!!!

Congratulations, Kath! Now all you gotta do is pay off those student loans. :lol:

That's NOT FUNNY! I finally gathered them all up and totalled 'em - GULP!!!!!

Congrats Kat!!!

The good thing about school is if you miss it too bad you can always go back. (puts those loans on deferment too!!! )

Took me twelve years start to finish to get a four year degree. After graduation I got a job in the field and was talking to a fella about college. He had a degree in a totally different subject than what we were doing. He said for years he thought that he wasted his time getting a degree in something he was destin to never persue. But then he realized that for him getting the degree was just as important personally as using it. Setting a lofty goal and working your butt off to acheive it changes a person. Good luck to the new you!!!

I can count the number of people I know (outside of university faculty) that are working in their degree 10 years after graduation on one hand. I got to work in my degree area for 3 years and felt damn lucky to do it.

3QT is absolutely right...getting the degree in the first place is the real important part. It is as much a personal victory as anything else but it means a LOT to a potential employer who doesn't know anything about you. Having the degree means you can start something and finish it. I never look at the number of years between start and finish because it took me 11 years myself (then another 3 for the Masters).

Always remember...student loans are an investment in your future! Consolidate those student loans ASAP. Making one payment is so much better than making a dozen little ones. Plus, you can often get the interest rate on some of those knocked down a bit. I took all my 9% and 10% loans and got them down to 6%. Then two years ago when rates were low I got them down to 3%. Three more years and those damn things are paid off.

Congrats again! :D See ya in Missoula!