Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Refueling Irritations

zhunter

I drive a LOT!!! Weeks that I am home I often drive more than 500 miles. In a Yukon XL, well the gas bills add up quick. But that is NOT my gripe.

When I have to $2.75 9/10 per gallon, you would THINK that when I go to wash the windshield, they could put some soap/windshield/glass cleaner in with the DIRTY in order to get the windshield CLEAN!!!!

AND, ON TOP OF THAT...

I also hate it when they have an automatic cut-off at $50.00 for purchases at the pump!! That REALLY drives me NUTS!!

OK, I AM DONE!!!

Z

I drive a Suburban with the 8.1 liter big block and whoever decided $50 should be the limit on the card should die a very slow horribly painful and excrutiating death by having to always run their card twice for a fillup.

I hate that limit too (though not as much as the price). It's really annoying when I need to fill both my truck AND boat.

I also hate -- really needing gas, and pulling into the only convenience store in miles to see the dreaded plastic bag tapped around the '87' nozzle.

Have an older ('98) OceanPro 200hp OB, and it drinks gas like flushing a toilet. I used to love running out about 20 miles, or so, on calm days, for mahi, kings, and the occasional 'hoo. Now, almost all of my fishing is inshore, and most of that with a fishing kayak -- one of the peddle Hobies -- now.

I'm happy to get 13 mpg w/ my F-150. It seems this one gas station where I shoot matches at has their cutoff at $35.

Arrghh.. what an aggravation to hang the nozzle back up, swipe the card again, enter the pin etc etc for about another 20 bucks worth of gas.

In addition to the dirty windshield cleaner bucket, the squeegees are usually crappy, and there's no air nozzle to inflate the tires. I mean if I have to wait that long to fill up the gas tank I might as well walk around the truck and check the tires. Check the oil, steering fluid, radiator, transmission, and brake fluids.

In the St. Louis area, the nozzles have these fume recovery sleeves over the metal part of the nozzle and the pumps are real slow. It is supposed to cut down on the smog especially in the summer time. Geez.... I could probably change the oil and my filter in my truck before the tank is full.

I paid 600 for a 94 geo metro to avoid all of this! who cares if I aint pimpin' it 40mpg and an 8 gallon tank gets me places! I still have my truck though 15mpg and a 18 gal tank just barely under the 50 dollar cutoff last time i filled up before this price hike.

Next truck I'm gonna buy will be bio-diesel capable and it'll come w/ dual tanks, or I'll put a tread plate tank in the bed. That way when I see fuel real cheap I'll be sure to fill up both tanks.

It's kinda like buying primers and bullets in bulk that way.

Most of the stations I refuel at cut off at $75.00, except one that cuts off at 74.00. Where did those morons get that number? Still my little truck ( F-350 longbed crewcab ) has a 42 gal tank, oh and an aux tank considerably larger. I have to swipe twice no mater what I do. Usually I just go inside and give them a 100.

$75 limit in my area.

What really perturbs me is when I have 2-3 bobtail trucks that need dieseling up for work. We are talking $100 per truck and the real PITA is when they refuse to accept the card for multiple passes within 15 minutes (anti-theft cutoff thing) without going inside and presenting ID and having them call for verification.

I can't believe the station that made me go back inside 3 times in a row while filling two trucks to present my ID each time he started the pump again when it was the same guy less than five minutes earlier that had already gotten phone approval from Amex for as many passes as I wanted and he was holding my corporate card till I was done to boot. Ridiculous!

I just paid $3.29 per gal for premium to fill up my car tonight. I really should be driving closer to the speed limit since my normal 20+ over the speed limit results in about 20% more fuel usage. At least I'm no longer commuting 150 miles a day and having to get gas every other day.

Complain enough and loudly enough and they will change the limit. I told my favorite local stop that I spend at least $500 a month there in gas, and while that is not a lot in the overall picture, the station down the road would love the increase in business. The second time I told the attendent he called the owner. The owner told me that it would be changed the next trip in. 60 gallons of diesel each week at $2.70 per gallon really adds up.

Next truck I'm gonna buy will be bio-diesel capable and it'll come w/ dual tanks, or I'll put a tread plate tank in the bed.

It's kinda like buying primers and bullets in bulk that way.

Now THAT is patriotic!! For the rest of us: do you insist on an American made car or truck? Then ask yourself: WHY are you paying all the gasoline and diesel money to Venezuela's anti-American dictator Hugo Chavez (Venezuela is an OPEC nation BTW) and our pseudo-friends like Saudi Arabia?

Bio-diesel: its 100% US made and not just for hippies anymore.

BTW - while the free market should usually dictate where our fuel comes from, in this case I think that using US made fuel is in our national interest and its a matter of national defense - thus we can and should suspend our usual free market preferences on this issue.

This thread makes me really appreciate my '97 Jetta. Sure, I need to put some money into it to make it pass inspection right now, but I get over 30mpg in stop and go traffic. I didn't even know that some stations have a cut off, my wife's SUV never goes above $45 or so per tank and my fillups are like $25, so I have no idea if that practice is popular in NJ.

Edited by Vlad

Funny thing about gas. Everyone complains about getting "Bad gas" now and then, well in AK we get nothing but "bad gas". Horrid crappy gas that makes our engines knock and ping! Gas that stinks like fresh road kill skunk! I will be very glad to get to the states where I just have to worry about getting to the $50 limit instead of whether or not I have to change my fuel filters this month!