Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stuck Between 80% To 86% How Do I Bring It Up?

I have been shooting consistently between 80 to 87% for the last 5 matches?

how do i bring up the percentages? do I slightly slow down and shoot more A's?

or do I speed up? and take 50% c?'s and a?

All the above is right on and true. I also sense tension just from your couple of sentences, Tension destroys performance.

Do you mean 80-87% of a local GM like Jojo or 80-87% on your classifiers?

Very different placements in general, but eventually you can shoot a 95% on both. I would delete slow down/speed up from your vocabulary and analyze what you are doing related to what you should do.

If its 100% classifiers you seek then do you have written down what a "perfect" run takes? Its very easy to use the Ohio calculator and figure out for example that 99-21 Minimart requires a 11.8 HF for 100% and that equates to a 4.91 sec 2 down. Don't kid yourself about classifiers either as most require a couple points down, at the most, for 100% so you can even "reverse" figure a HHF. Rememeber you can use the HHF to calculate what a "A" is worth. But dropping 8 points does not ever a 100% run make. If you are studying your and others shooting breaking up a classifier into a "perfect" run will becomes easy and will help in stage breakdown.

If you are concerned about % in matches let me tell you that 88% of the Jojo's will get you a plaque more often than not, at most majors, including Nationals, in M class. Now its a little different story to shoot 88% at a 10-27 stage complicated match rather than a 3 stage ho-hum club match.

If you want to improve at match placement % you must improve your whole game. You must be a complete and well trained shooter to place in the upper echelions. I will echo the above that its when you are "not shooting" that most vast improvements can be accomplished. Assuming,

Can you do a 1.6X Bill Drill? .8X draw at 7 yards? .9X at 10 yards? 1.1X at 25 yards? Draw and shoot 6 A's at 25 yards in 2.5 sec? Draw and shoot 6 A's in 4.5 sec at 50 yards?Can you shoot a 1 hole 6 shot group in the upper B at 20? Can you shoot a 2 inch groups at 50 yards? These are some minimum M standards and and alone don't win matches but I can guarantee you all the shooters that win matches can do these drills. I would post some movement drill times but it would take too long to describe dimensions and what not. But I recommend you set up a box to box drill the same way every practice and use video if possible or a better shooter to get your times down.

Oh I forgot to mention these times have to be Cold. That's the game we play and grooving in at a practice, while for some, might be great for the ego, but its the shooter who can produce On Demand, that wins. There is a lot of blood sweat and tears to get there. Find you best Grooved In Time in your practices and the real key is get your cold time as close as you can to the GIT and then git to it at a match.

Edited by BSeevers

GOSH !

I've quite the same problem, in Production Division, but the "little" difference is that I'm stuck between 70% and 75% :wub::wub::wub:

The same advices are good for me too, or I must ask somebody to kick my ass at the start signal ?? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

....... I would post some movement drill times but it would take too long to describe dimensions and what not. But I recommend you set up a box to box drill the same way every practice and use video if possible or a better shooter to get your times down .....

Please, It would be GREAT if you'll find the time to post only 2 or 3 of these drills :):):) :

exiting/entering shooting positions is one of the my biggest weaknesses at the moment, and I want to work a lot on it ... ;)

Thanks in advance !

Max has a pretty good drill that is very similar to what I do.

I do this drill several times at the start of each practice.

The first one cold is important...

1 target, 3 shooting positions.

1st Bill Drill at 15 yards, record the time

2nd Bill Drill at 10 yards, record the time

3rd Bill Drill at 7 yards, record the time.

total the times for one time...

score the target for a possible 90 points and divide it by the

total of the times for a hit factor.

When your hit factor gets over 10 and especially 11 you're doing great!

(just in case, Bill Drill=draw and fire 6 rounds-Virginia Count)

This ought to help with controlling recoil and repeat shots BUT

you must see the front sight for each pull of the trigger!

Also learn to count your shots mentally if not verbally.

This will help you develop a cadence or rhythm and keep your

finger from locking up when you try to go fast...

• 4 weeks later...
Max has a pretty good drill that is very similar to what I do.

I do this drill several times at the start of each practice.

The first one cold is important...

1 target, 3 shooting positions.

1st Bill Drill at 15 yards, record the time

2nd Bill Drill at 10 yards, record the time

3rd Bill Drill at 7 yards, record the time.

total the times for one time...

score the target for a possible 90 points and divide it by the

total of the times for a hit factor.

When your hit factor gets over 10 and especially 11 you're doing great!

(just in case, Bill Drill=draw and fire 6 rounds-Virginia Count)

This ought to help with controlling recoil and repeat shots BUT

you must see the front sight for each pull of the trigger!

Also learn to count your shots mentally if not verbally.

This will help you develop a cadence or rhythm and keep your

finger from locking up when you try to go fast...

That's great, thanks ! ;)

I've never seen a shooting problem that 2 hours of dry fire a day and 5 live fire sessions a week of 200 rds won't cure.

how bad do you want it?

I can do DRY FIRE.... and shoot local match evry week... but canot afford everyday live fire. any suggestions???

:)

SA

I've never seen a shooting problem that 2 hours of dry fire a day and 5 live fire sessions a week of 200 rds won't cure.

how bad do you want it?

I can do DRY FIRE.... and shoot local match evry week... but canot afford everyday live fire. any suggestions???

:)

SA

Cut back on the matches every week.

Try shooting 2 matches a month, and get in some good practice every week.

Can you do a 1.6X Bill Drill? .8X draw at 7 yards? .9X at 10 yards? 1.1X at 25 yards? Draw and shoot 6 A's at 25 yards in 2.5 sec? Draw and shoot 6 A's in 4.5 sec at 50 yards?Can you shoot a 1 hole 6 shot group in the upper B at 20? Can you shoot a 2 inch groups at 50 yards? These are some minimum M standards

No offense, Bill, you know I adore you and you definitely know the game better than me... but what Master can accomplish these, cold and consistantly? I know competitive GMs that can't. Is a 2.0 bill drill the new C class standard?

Shoot for the moon... even if you miss you'll land amongst the stars...???

;)

Can you do a 1.6X Bill Drill? .8X draw at 7 yards? .9X at 10 yards? 1.1X at 25 yards? Draw and shoot 6 A's at 25 yards in 2.5 sec? Draw and shoot 6 A's in 4.5 sec at 50 yards?Can you shoot a 1 hole 6 shot group in the upper B at 20? Can you shoot a 2 inch groups at 50 yards? These are some minimum M standards

Heck, I can't do some of those times. At least not consistently...

Drill times have little to do with overall match placement. Consistent performace wins you matches.

Do I slightly slow down and shoot more A's?

or do I speed up? and take 50% c?'s and a?

You always have to shoot points. If you don't shoot 90-95% of the available points for the match, you're being too sloppy.

Edited by Matt Cheely

If you can't afford a bunch of live fire, a .22 works very well in a pinch.

There's a chapter in the new book about this, but to sum it up quickly, a .22 works very well if you forget about the draw and make the targets much harder. Just make sure to get the real gun out before a match.

You can get by with less live fire than I prescribed, but you need regular live fire to balance your dry fire. Otherwise, you're training for for the dry fire nationals...

With regard to Bill's times on drills, when I was questing for my GM card, I could rip some amazing times on these types of drills. The oldest videos on my site are from that era...If I had a clue about the mental game back then I would have been right there. Now I need to get back to that level of subconscious skill with a balanced mental game. All your circles have to be the same size for it to work...

Now, about speed.

Train for it, then forget about it. If you are thinking about alphas at LAMR, your subconscious will use every available resource to give them to you as quick as it can. I never think about speed in a match anymore.

There's a big difference between practicing and shooting...

SA

I have a question - how can I get "stuck" between 80 and 86%? :rolleyes: I guess life is different as a C-class shooter with very little time to practice.

Edited by Genghis

Interesting to hear people who I know can do these drills in those times scoff at them. ;) Matt or Steve say $20 a run for 1.6 Bill Drills? Bet you could produce them then. :lol: Sharyn I havent practiced for 6 months but I do practice those drills on a regular basis. I didn't pull them out of no where. I or he never ever said anything about C class this is a M that wants to either win more or score higher classifiers. For C class I would think a sub 3.0 Bill Drill at 7 yds would be a good run or goal.

If you read my entire post I never say that the drills are the only way to win a match. In fact I first talk about tension and speed focus which I believe is a lot of people's "problem" Shooterbenedetto was asking how to improve and since I don't know him or have never seen him shoot I have to make sure he is on the same page to have any impact. My stuff and times for drills are not new. Sal and others mention these type drills but its still as true today as it was 15 years ago. I think you that know me know I would never say anything like a drill is a end all be all. I got the feeling from Shooterbenedetto' s post that he might benefit from more practice of "fundamentals"

I think drill times are an important measuring tool since if you don't know what a great El-Prez HF is then how can you gauge if you are improving? That said VERY often I don't use a timer and just shoot at practice.

The other link to success is you must be willing to put in the time/money to achieve your goals.

And as I said in my post"These don't alone win matches" I find that until you master or at least become competant on the fundamentals the mental game is not as important. I mean for example a shooter brand new vs shooterbenedetto. ( Sorry shooterbenedetto I hate referring to you like a lab rat)

I have developed a pretty strong mental game and agree that its usually one of the biggest differences between winning and losing though. As I said in my post "Its when you are NOT shooting that most vast improvements take place". Thats between the targets/boxes/ports and between your ears. Your results can vary as we are all at different places on our journey.

I do pick on "grooved in times" since those are usually the ones you see posted on websites or hear about and frankly they don't thrill me because we shoot "on demand" Don't worry I feel the same way about fast draw competition. Great skill and impressive but I shoot IPSC.

I am kinda busy right now so Stefano I will post a Box drill and times later(I haven't practiced, won't be practicing and have a major match on Saturday so please understand that me digging out drills and times is not in my own best interest right now) but there is a lot of good info here on be.com, on that subject.

PS I had to reply y'all.

Steve anderson,,DRY FIRE NATIONALS!! hahaha that is a good one.. i like that.

and thanks for the advice..looking to buy moly bullets so that its cheaper..

i may take your advice about live fire after all...

Edited by shooterbenedetto

<_< I run a small club for monthly shoots and I help at leat one other club too. I am not at your level, but what i do in practice and for club stages is set -up what I & we are not good at. = its the do some practice to confirm skills but do most of it at things that you are not good at. I have ben around nat champs in other shooting sports & they got to be the best when they stoped messing with equipment and focused on the shooting /shots

The equipment has to be good and reliable, but it is a mistake to look to the euipment as an aid.

But I realy dont know nothing

..... I am kinda busy right now so Stefano I will post a Box drill and times later(I haven't practiced, won't be practicing and have a major match on Saturday so please understand that me digging out drills and times is not in my own best interest right now) but there is a lot of good info here on be.com, on that subject.

PS I had to reply y'all.

There's absolutely NO problem ! :)

It's normal that we all have a list of priorities ..... ;)

Take care,

Stefano

Bill, I think you know I can do a 1.6 seever drill in my sleep. :)

Stefano,

I got one for ya, from the new book. PM me your email addy and I'll send it your way.

When live fire is limited, cut back on the rounds and make them count. Focus on the things you hate to do and make them strengths. Flex will tell you that's how I got any good at all. You gotta be honest with yourself... Imagine your worst nightmare match, what does it contain?

Swingers?

Prone?

Strong/weak hand?

40 yard head shots?

The tulsa production nationals? :)

Now go shoot that match in practice until you enjoy it. It won't take a lotta rounds to get more comfortable. Do NOT blow 100 rds on things you're good at...it'll help the ego, but not much else.

SA

Edited by Steve Anderson