Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Speedsec 5 Holster

AzoneHits

Fast and secure.

I have one since 2003, use it with my Limited SVI, and really like it.

There is no way you can loose your gun if it's locked (even when bumped on the gun butt from behind, tried it several times), although if it is unlocked a 1' high jump in the air is sufficient to have it coming out of the holster.

BTW, unlocking it is a real lightning: yesterday I was shooting a lev. III in France, and one stage had an empty start with gun and mags on your belt.

I foolishly didn't check my gun when the RO said "make ready", and thus didn't unlock the holster.

As soon as the "Standby" command was issued I realized my mistake, but I couldn't unlock it then until the start signal (no movement allowed in this timeframe): then the beep came, and I simply unlocked the holster while gripping the gun, in a single swift motion. I don't think I've wasted anithing more than 0.1s in doing that.

The only (personal) regret is that you don't get any "reassuring" clicking sound upon operating the lock/unlock lever. But I can live with it.

Edited by Skywalker

Luca, what would be the more popular holsters in Italy? I have been quite curious of the Speedsec, and two friends of mine use them, one of which with CZ and they both seem to love them. As you mentioned unlocking on the draw, that would give you the most piece of mind of any holster seeing as you can leave it locked right up until it comes out on the draw. I had a link once where George F. did a demo with it. Sure looks fast.

Jody,

in Italy the most popular holsters are the "Ultimate Ghost" by Sandro Amadini: they're cheaper than other holsters on the market.

I have seen locally a steady decline in Safariland holsters, being them replaced by various models of Ghosts. Got to see some SpeedSec5, Guga Ribas, Limcats and CR-Speed ones as well on the ranges, but mostly Ghosts.

Unlocking the gun while drawing: the lock/unlock lever, althoug not featuring a really ergonomic design, is strategically positioned; you can unlock the gun while actually forming your grip: when your strong hand middle finger curls following the grip contour, it will also rotate the lever to the unlocked position.

You will not be as fast as with the gun unlocked: when the gun is free, you start lifting it while gripping it; on the contrary, with the lock engaged, you have to completely form your grip (and rotate the lever) before being able to lift the gun.

This slows you down, yes, but no more than a tenth of a second.

you should know what you doing when you using the CW5 holster , the KISS principle applies only conditionally , as far as I can say after 3 years using the holster.

Sven

After trying all the top holsters on the market, I settled on the Speed Sec (Xtreme) about 3 years ago. I really like the holster and use it exclusively. I sell more of them than any other holster as well. I think the holster is a great bargain for the price compared to the other choices out there. I actually have a couple of the hard to find revolver models in stock now also. Here's a link to a pic:

Speed Sec (Xtreme) holster pic

Are the available in the the US?

If so, where?

NEVERMIND,,,,cpty 1 posted with that info just before I asked,,,, Thanks.

Edited by TRP-Professional

I am still using mine Jody. I switch back and forth between that and a DOH bladetech for HK USP for production. A seated draw is better with the Speedsec for sure; you just lift the gun instead of drawing out from a holster. I liked it so much that I purchased one from Freedom Ventures for my STI edge as well. If you scoop more than grab, using the lever from the locked position is a breeze. if you grab than you just make sure it is unlocked for the AUR command.

Edited by Mo Hepworth

In case you haven't made a decision yet... Here is another satisfied owner of the SS5 Holster.

I just recieved a SpeedSec holster this week from Chuck @ Shooter's Connection. I used a Safariland 012 for the previous 3 years, and grew to dislike several things about it. So far, I have no complaints about this holster - however I haven't used a Ghost Holster (that would have been my next choice if I hadn't run across this one). Most of my friends have gone away from the 012 to either Ghosts, CR Speeds, or these.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I used one for a while with a Limited Para. They're a good, fast holster but the pistol rocked back and forth in the holster. I think it was because the trigger gaurd wasn't squared. I now use a Ghost holster and couldn't be happier. It's more adjustable, secure and can be used in locked or unlocked mode. IMO, if you want to use a bikini type race holster, just spend a little extra and get the Ghost.

• 1 month later...
I used one for a while with a Limited Para. They're a good, fast holster but the pistol rocked back and forth in the holster. I think it was because the trigger gaurd wasn't squared. I now use a Ghost holster and couldn't be happier. It's more adjustable, secure and can be used in locked or unlocked mode. IMO, if you want to use a bikini type race holster, just spend a little extra and get the Ghost.

Were you using the S_I model of teh Speedsec? You need to get the Speedsec holster specifically for the rounded guard like a Para/1911. I used to use a Ghost but had the problem with it that you had with the Speedsec. Got the proper model Speedsec for the Para and it doesn't move at all and is quick and easy to use.

WE just got some of the new Speedsecs in and found that most models now have a positive lock that clicks into place and spring unloacks. I didnt even realize it until a customer pointed it out to me. Pretty slick. Wasnt on the revolver model but was on the STi model. and yes the STi model will not work for a steel frame without being sloppy.