Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Helmet Cam Video

Supermoto

I mounted the remote lens straight to the top of the bill of the hat. I didn't use that little rubber mount that came with it. It gets it closer to the action I think. The camera unit is so small it fits nicely into the rear pocket of the 5.11 Tactical pant I usually were to the range. Nice little unit so far. But- they haven't released the Codec for Windows Vista yet. So, I am having to upload the video to my old computer (Win-XP) and/or photobucket. But anyway here is the first quick test of my equipment.

Samsung Sports Cam Test

I really like the way the Rezo 15 bag from LowePro works as far as keeping it on my belt.

http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Camera_Pou...ch/Rezo_15.aspx

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

post-9277-1173026778.jpg

post-9277-1173027400.jpg

Well I broke down and picked up this set up, the Archos 404 30GB Mulitimedia Player and the Archos Helmet Camcorder. I broke down when I found the player for $228 and some change, and the helmet camera for $110 and some change online. With 3 day shipping paid $360 for the entire set up. Today the same site shows the player for $274 so I guess I just hit the right window.

I like the single wire, the player battery powers the camera so no extra battery box/adaptor and it has an inline controller with on/off and status check buttons.

I have played with it and will post some "test footage" tonight if I get time. I tried mounting the camera ontop of the ear muff, inside the headband as I asked about in an earlier post, NO GO. I will probably try a ball cap...it seems on the ear muff you can get at eye level but off set more, and with the ball cap, higher than eye level but less offset...I'll have to play with it.

I do still have to figure out the best routing of the cable to provide access to the controller, but be out of the way, and I am looking for a belt pouch/case. Most PDA cases are not quite large enough.

Here my super inexpensive version of a hoser cam. I found a camera from Digital Blue called the Tony Hawk Helmet Cam. With a little time in the shop I was able to make an adjustable mount to put the camera on my hearing protection rather than on a helmet as it was intended. The right ear in my Peltor Tactical 6 ear muffs died when the batteries leaked. I need to get a new pair so I didn't mind gutting the right ear to mount the camera. The left ear still works so I will still be able to hear range commands.

The camera only records at 320x240 resolution at 15FPS, when I bought it I though it would do 640x480 but apparently it will only do that resolution when attached to a computer through its USB port. The best part is the camera, power, and storage media are all self contained in the camera housing. No wires to tangle and no camcorder or similar recording device to wear on your belt. The camera runs on two AAA batteries and stores the movies to an SD card in AVI format. Both the batteries and SD card plug in the back of the camera. I just pull the SD card out of it and pull the raw AVI files off the card. The software the camera comes with sort of sucks.

This is a really bad picture but I think you get the idea of how its mounted.

Camera_mount.jpg

The camera has a small flashing laser to help you get it pointed where you want it pointed. When you press the record button the laser shuts off. I have been putting a paster over the laser after I get the camera on and adjusted so I don't distract or freek anyone out. As you can see from the following clips I have the camera pointed a bit high. This was the first time actually using it at a match.

ETA: Be sure to turn the volume down a bit before watching the shots are very loud and I don't have the software yet to reduce the volume in the files.

Stage 1: Tilt (~2.5MB AVI)

In the video clip you see a prefect example of why you do not stick your gun in the port of a barricade. On the fourth round through the port in the barricade I caught the front sight on the top of the port and caused myself a nasty double feed jam.

Stage 2: Around the Corner (~2.1MB AVI)

Leaning over to see through the ports make the first part of the video less than optimal.

Stage 3: Peek-A-Boo (~2.1MB AVI)

I think if I get the camera pointed down a bit more you will be able to see what my hands are doing. At present everything shows up on the bottom half of the video. I find it strange that while reloading my head comes up. That's good as it means I am not looking at my belt for my reloads but not sure what I am looking at. It may just be my change in posture as I reload.

I think the picture quality will get better when we start shooting outside in full sunlight, but it's not to bad for a $50 camera. So if your looking for a very inexpensive way to do a helmet cam this is one idea.

Later

mcb

Edited by mcb

mcb

Thanks for posting the videos, I had seen that camera in a magazine and wondered how the quality would be. Not too bad (for a $50 camera). a little shakey feeling, but gets the idea across. Interested to see how it performs outdoors.

Question, when you are waiting on the buzzer to sound, it appears that you are looking at the ceiling or over top of the targets. Why not look at the 1st target you intend on engaging? Just wondering.

I mounted the remote lens straight to the top of the bill of the hat. I didn't use that little rubber mount that came with it. It gets it closer to the action I think. The camera unit is so small it fits nicely into the rear pocket of the 5.11 Tactical pant I usually were to the range. Nice little unit so far. But- they haven't released the Codec for Windows Vista yet. So, I am having to upload the video to my old computer (Win-XP) and/or photobucket. But anyway here is the first quick test of my equipment.

Samsung Sports Cam Test

I really like the way the Rezo 15 bag from LowePro works as far as keeping it on my belt.

http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Camera_Pou...ch/Rezo_15.aspx

The unit does come with a case suitable for carrying on the belt. Or you can use the supplied straps for easy on and off around the waist placement. But being able to just slip it into your pocket seems like a plus to me- unless you start from a seated position.

Here my super inexpensive version of a hoser cam. I found a camera from Digital Blue called the Tony Hawk Helmet Cam. With a little time in the shop I was able to make an adjustable mount to put the camera on my hearing protection rather than on a helmet as it was intended. The right ear in my Peltor Tactical 6 ear muffs died when the batteries leaked. I need to get a new pair so I didn't mind gutting the right ear to mount the camera. The left ear still works so I will still be able to hear range commands.

The camera only records at 320x240 resolution at 15FPS, when I bought it I though it would do 640x480 but apparently it will only do that resolution when attached to a computer through its USB port. The best part is the camera, power, and storage media are all self contained in the camera housing. No wires to tangle and no camcorder or similar recording device to wear on your belt. The camera runs on two AAA batteries and stores the movies to an SD card in AVI format. Both the batteries and SD card plug in the back of the camera. I just pull the SD card out of it and pull the raw AVI files off the card. The software the camera comes with sort of sucks.

This is a really bad picture but I think you get the idea of how its mounted.

Camera_mount.jpg

The camera has a small flashing laser to help you get it pointed where you want it pointed. When you press the record button the laser shuts off. I have been putting a paster over the laser after I get the camera on and adjusted so I don't distract or freek anyone out. As you can see from the following clips I have the camera pointed a bit high. This was the first time actually using it at a match.

ETA: Be sure to turn the volume down a bit before watching the shots are very loud and I don't have the software yet to reduce the volume in the files.

Stage 1: Tilt (~2.5MB AVI)

In the video clip you see a prefect example of why you do not stick your gun in the port of a barricade. On the fourth round through the port in the barricade I caught the front sight on the top of the port and caused myself a nasty double feed jam.

Stage 2: Around the Corner (~2.1MB AVI)

Leaning over to see through the ports make the first part of the video less than optimal.

Stage 3: Peek-A-Boo (~2.1MB AVI)

I think if I get the camera pointed down a bit more you will be able to see what my hands are doing. At present everything shows up on the bottom half of the video. I find it strange that while reloading my head comes up. That's good as it means I am not looking at my belt for my reloads but not sure what I am looking at. It may just be my change in posture as I reload.

I think the picture quality will get better when we start shooting outside in full sunlight, but it's not to bad for a $50 camera. So if your looking for a very inexpensive way to do a helmet cam this is one idea.

Later

mcb

This system seems to mount the camera too far off to the side for my liking. Low cost, but if you can't really see anything or get the 1st person view, it seems to defeat the purpose.

post-9277-1173026778.jpg

post-9277-1173027400.jpg

Well I broke down and picked up this set up, the Archos 404 30GB Mulitimedia Player and the Archos Helmet Camcorder. I broke down when I found the player for $228 and some change, and the helmet camera for $110 and some change online. With 3 day shipping paid $360 for the entire set up. Today the same site shows the player for $274 so I guess I just hit the right window.

It looks like there is a special base that the camera plugs into. Is this required for the Archos camera? or is there an A/V input also?

It looks like there is a special base that the camera plugs into. Is this required for the Archos camera? or is there an A/V input also?

There is a special base that comes with the camera, unfortunately no A/V inputs, its theirs or nada. The single cable was part of the draw to this set up, agreed it does limit my options.

I think mcb hit a winner. I looked hard at the Tony Hawk, just couldnt get past the size of the camera, but it looks like it does a pretty darn good job.

I have already learned a few lessons just getting familiar with mine:

1) If you dont put your hat and your ear muffs on exactly the same way, you lose your level horizon and have to level the camera again, or fiddle with your hat/muffs.

2) It takes a second to get rolling which shouldnt be a problem in a match, switch on, load and make ready, camera running...beep!

The two vids I just made are either too big to upload or the comfuser is running s-l-o-w tonight so I'll have to make a couple shorter ones and post them in a little while.

(edited for spelling...I am a product of the Louisiana public school system! :D )

Edited by CDRODA396

I just bought an Archos AV500 because it has the AV inputs. I haven't received it yet so I'll have to let you know how it turns outs. Right now my plan is to plug the Hosercam headset into. I might have to look into the Archos cameras out there. Anyone use one??? How is the resolution and sound??

Flyin

I just bought an Archos AV500 because it has the AV inputs. I haven't received it yet so I'll have to let you know how it turns outs. Right now my plan is to plug the Hosercam headset into. I might have to look into the Archos cameras out there. Anyone use one??? How is the resolution and sound??

Flyin

Flyin,

If you read a couple of the posts above, I just got the Archos (404 and camcorder) set up and posted some pics of the entire set up and the camera mounted on the headset...here's a better one of the camera mounted...

post-9277-1173063338.jpg

I havent had it long enough to use on the range yet, resolution and sound are good, but I dont know how live fire is going to go. I have tried to post a few "test clips" in the garage, but cant get them to load on here or photobucket...dont know if its the .avi or the me! I'll keep working on it unitl I figure it out, hopefully by this weekend.

Edited to add photobucket link...hope this works!

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a281/CDR...ent=VID0019.flv

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a281/CDR...ent=VID0011.flv

Edited by CDRODA396

Hmmm.... Adel clamp. Size 8 or 10??

Who's benchstock did you liberate that from.........?

If you're talking about mine, its a 1" cable clamp, obtained from Lowe's in a two pack for a whopping 96 cents! Then I used 1/4" nylon bolt and nut to prevent me from overtightening and crushing the housing.

I actually have a hosercam that I was asked to sell for a friend. It is a pickup from the Nationals prize table a couple of years ago. Was used once or twice and is now for sale. One of the small plastic bushings is gone off the earphones, but that can be found at a hardware store for a dime I suspect. Price in the case says $325. Asking $225 obo.

My "PoserCam" is a 2.4GHz wireless unit so I don't have to haul the recorder with me. Mounted on the brim of a hat, it gives a great view of the action.

I like the camera positioning of shred's "PoseurCam" best of all the ones that I've seen so far. I feel it gives the most accurate "first person" feel to the video. We used a bunch of his footage in our 2005 USPSA Double Tap Championship DVD.

A portion of it can be seen in the DVD trailer movie (7.82 MB Quicktime Movie File).

-Chet

I like the camera positioning of shred's "PoseurCam" best of all the ones that I've seen so far. I feel it gives the most accurate "first person" feel to the video.

-Chet

I'm at the office right now (shhhhhh! :D ) so I cant get the vid to play, I will once I get home, but where on the bill of the cap is it mounted...top center, left, right? I'm still playing so am williing to move things around and try anything. Heck, its only a small hole in the bill of a cap if it doesnt work out, right!

where on the bill of the cap is it mounted...top center, left, right?

Shred's is a tiny camera that attaches with a small, black binder clip to the underside of a baseball cap's bill. This is the key to getting good first person footage.

Shred positions his in the center of the bill. If I could talk him into positioning it in front of his shooting eye it might be even better. ;)

-Chet

Edited by DJPoLo

Shred's is a tiny camera that attaches with a small, black binder clip to the underside of a baseball cap's bill. This is the key to getting good first person footage.

-Chet

Thanks for the info, once ontop of the ear muff failed, I have been thinking about the underside of a ball cap, along the right edge, still wont get behind the sights, but it'll be a couple inches closer. I figure it'll depend on how much vision 7/8" x 3" obscures my vision. I've got until this weekend to figure out the best location!, and as always, I'll post the results of my gadgetexperiments! :P

where on the bill of the cap is it mounted...top center, left, right?

Shred positions his in the center of the bill. If I could talk him into positioning it in front of his shooting eye it might be even better. ;)

-Chet

:D :D Actually as-is now, it would be ideal for an iron-sight shooter that needs to tape their off-side eye-- the camera blocks that view of the sights perfectly.

posercam2.thumb.jpg

This is an older version-- the latest has a rechargeable camera and wide-angle lens so I can ditch the 9v battery and extra wires.

These threads have some more video that might not be blocked: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...t=0#entry223189

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...amp;hl=posercam

After watching the Shooting USA coverage of the USPSA Multigun Nationals and a "protip" w/ Jerry Miculek and a "posercam" set up. I emailed the folks at the show and they replied back that it was the S.C.O.U.T. model from viotac.com:

http://www.viotac.com/store/customer/ourge...=scout_overview

At 300 bucks, it ain't cheap. If you already have a camcorder / DVR / DVD Handycam that accepts external inputs, this might be the way to go. My DVD Handycam footage gets converted over to the .mpg format inside the computer. I would just rather stick w/ that same format for editing purposes.

The Samsung camera that theknighttoflight likes so much, IIRC, records, in a .avi format. He might be editing in Windows Movie Maker, I don't know for sure. BUT, going from a .mpg to a .wmv just sucks. The resolution turns the crap. I don't know what WMM does for .avi to a .wmv format.

Also, I haven't checked out if the Nero editing software that came bundled w/ my DVD burner will handle .avi 's or not.

Decisions.....

Decisions.....

After watching the Shooting USA coverage of the USPSA Multigun Nationals and a "protip" w/ Jerry Miculek and a "posercam" set up. I emailed the folks at the show and they replied back that it was the S.C.O.U.T. model from viotac.com:

http://www.viotac.com/store/customer/ourge...=scout_overview

At 300 bucks, it ain't cheap.

Cool. This is essentially the same camera that I bought, the VioSport Adventure Cam 3.

As soon as the Archos 404 shows up (it's on backorder) I'll test the two out together. I'm still looking at an Archos 700 as well, though...

-Chet

Edited by DJPoLo

I wonder how the S.C.O.U.T. model from viotac.com would be if mounted under the light rail of a pistol? I think it would show a different 1st person perspective of a match. The only problems would be doing mag changes (see where you are pointing the gun and not at the shooting array) and actually drawing the weapon (cord might get in the way, but hell, that's what duct tape is for, right?).

Any comments on that idea.

I wonder how the S.C.O.U.T. model from viotac.com would be if mounted under the light rail of a pistol? I think it would show a different 1st person perspective of a match. The only problems would be doing mag changes (see where you are pointing the gun and not at the shooting array) and actually drawing the weapon (cord might get in the way, but hell, that's what duct tape is for, right?).

Any comments on that idea.

I think you need to see the gun, otherwise you just see a targets and movement, but have no sense of exactly what is happening

I've been following the helmet cam thing because I'm moderately interested, but it doesn't seem like everyone has fleshed out the best options yet.

Why couldn't someone get a barebones PVR with A/V-input for $200 off eBay and one of those 520-lines lipstick camera with 120+ degree lens for $150 that I see around the net? Throw the PVR and maybe a battery pack on your belt. Would video quality be too poor?

Why not cut the brim of a hat and mount the bullet camera on the same plane? You'd be mostly out of the way of your eyes but the camera would be lower than a hat-top mount. Possibly low enough to see reloads?