Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Helmet Cam Video

Supermoto

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been following the helmet cam thing because I'm moderately interested, but it doesn't seem like everyone has fleshed out the best options yet.

Why couldn't someone get a barebones PVR with A/V-input for $200 off eBay and one of those 520-lines lipstick camera with 120+ degree lens for $150 that I see around the net? Throw the PVR and maybe a battery pack on your belt. Would video quality be too poor?

Why not cut the brim of a hat and mount the bullet camera on the same plane? You'd be mostly out of the way of your eyes but the camera would be lower than a hat-top mount. Possibly low enough to see reloads?

Well, I picked up a DVR for $228, and a lipstick camera for $110, and have tried mounting it on the side and top of an ear muff, top of the visor on a ball cap, and below the visor. Havent tried cutting the bill and mounting it that way, but I am Mr. Gadget, and will be trying that tonight on the ball cap with five 1/4" holes already drilled in the bill from previous experiements! I'll let you know what I think about that later tonight or tommorrow :D .

The camera I got was 420 lines, and quality on it is fine, I would imagine 520 would only be better. The reason I went with the set up I bought (see previous posts this thread) it has only one cable unlike most of the camera's I saw on ebay had a seperate cable with the mike on the end of it, battery pack, camera, and A/V cables and I didnt want to have a 1" bundle of cables to deal with...

I guess it all depends on the video quality from the cameras. (Unless the compression/recording format has a big effect on quality for our purposes.) I remember the HoserCam guy saying that he had surveyed the available cameras and there weren't many good ones. The extreme sports recording industry is only beginning to take off, but I was able to find a few reviews at places like http://www.helmetcamreview.com/

Full-size video samples work the best, of course. I know I don't need DVD-quality, just something cheap and convenient with good enough quality that I can send it to my friends and family to watch on their computers or use myself for training. Since I don't have the money for it at the moment, I'll wait to see what rises to the top.

EDIT: I think I'm answering my own question. Check out http://www.helmetcamreview.com/Videos/SunnyX3.wmv The one on the lower right isn't bad for half the price of the upper right, but you can definitely see a difference.

Edited by Tim James

I already had a Hosercam and just received a new cord to hook the Hosercam headset straight to my camcorder with one cord. My camcorder is pretty small so know I just have to find a small case to put it on my belt. I tried it today around the house and it worked really well. I'll probably have Nolan make another av cord to hook up the Hosercam headset to the Archos AV500. I just don't like the idea of running round with the PVR. Not sure how much shock it can take. Also you really have to worry about sweat and humidity with it. I know Nolan's Archos PRV LCD went out. Also with the Hosercam connected straight to the camcorder it really makes putting it on the computer easy and AVI quality.

Flyin40

This is a video from tonights practice.

I mounted the camera on the bill of my cap. the problem is that the camera points downward, so I have to wear my hat higher in the front, the last string of shooting on the video was actually the first one, so once I got the adjustment right, it looks fairly good.

I did notice that the camcorder skipped when I was running

CLICK ME about 4mb

Edited by Supermoto

I mounted the camera on the bill of my cap. the problem is that the camera points downward, so I have to wear my hat higher in the front, the last string of shooting on the video was actually the first one, so once I got the adjustment right, it looks fairly good.

CLICK ME about 4mb

Video looks pretty good to me. What type of backstop is that in the range? Never seen that type.

CLICK ME about 4mb

Video looks pretty good to me. What type of backstop is that in the range? Never seen that type.

Its made out of rubber mixture of some kind. Its nice because you can staple the targets to it and shoot as close as you like. Sometimes powder puff rounds will bounce off

I've got one of Nolan's hosercams and for the most part I'm pretty happy with it. I knew it was not going to be DVD production quality but it suited the 3 things I needed.

1.) simple as someone already figured out all the tricky stuff

2.) good enough for video on the net

3.) A bunch of my squad mates can use it without major fiddling with getting camera angles lined up.

Only real problems I've had is it's hard to figure out focus when working off the little lcd on my camcorder, and I have problems with 3 gun because I can't shoulder a stock with muffs on.

Thus I am looking at a secondary hat cam for use for 3 gun. While I'm at it I might as well get something 500 lines or better. The Viotac looks pretty good to me. I'll probably pull the trigger on that one real soon.

Supermoto,

The view in the vid in your last post is definately better than the one in your first post. Is the cam mounted dead center of the bill on top? did you run the cable around to the back of the hat then down to the fanny pack?

Thanks for sharing, I've had mine mounted all over the place and havent even had it to the range yet (Sunday) and just when I think mine is set, someone posts something that causes me to go hmmm! Gotta love it! :D

Supermoto,

The view in the vid in your last post is definately better than the one in your first post. Is the cam mounted dead center of the bill on top? did you run the cable around to the back of the hat then down to the fanny pack?

Thanks for sharing, I've had mine mounted all over the place and havent even had it to the range yet (Sunday) and just when I think mine is set, someone posts something that causes me to go hmmm! Gotta love it! :D

It is dead center on the bill, held on with a zip tie and a twisty tie from a loaf of bread :wacko:

I probably will put something under the front of the camera to lift it up so that I can wear the hat the way I like. I run the cable over the top and down my back. The cable is help in place with the ear muffs. I was only taping every other run, so taking it on and off didn't seem to throw off the alignment once I figured out how it should be

No problem with sharing.... I will probably end up posting so many that I will get my own section :)

I was only taping every other run, so taking it on and off didn't seem to throw off the alignment once I figured out how it should be

Another plus to the Samsung lens is you can turn the lens once it is in place to center the alignment.

You Samsung sports camera kool-aid drinker, you!!!

:lol:

Hmmn.... Actually, the Samsung is looking better pricewise even if it does record in a .avi format, versus the .mpg format.

Since my DVD Handycam will save to the computer in a .mpg format, I was thinking it would be nice to have a DVR, the Sony perhaps, to hook the viotac SCOUT cam to.

But we're talking $300 just for the lens. I'll have to check out what the Sony DVR costs..

WOW!!

Froogle comes up with a very high (er) end Sony camcorder at about $1,800.

Ouch! I don't think I want to accidentally slam into props or barricades when it is in my IDPA vest or in a pouch on my belt (shooting IPSC).

Hey Supermoto, just curious...do you have any vids of mag changes with the camera mounted there...do you see the whole gun/mag well/change?

I'm fixin to start messing with mine [again!], I'm sure I'll have more to post soon :D ! If I never make it to the range, its almost been worth it just tinkering with the best place/way to set it up!

Hey Supermoto, just curious...do you have any vids of mag changes with the camera mounted there...do you see the whole gun/mag well/change?

Reloads, I stopped doing those when I left L-10, :D

here is a LMR pulled from one of the vids

www.walshimaging.com/uspsa/media/lmr.mpg

Edited by Supermoto

• 2 weeks later...
I wonder how the S.C.O.U.T. model from viotac.com would be if mounted under the light rail of a pistol? I think it would show a different 1st person perspective of a match. The only problems would be doing mag changes (see where you are pointing the gun and not at the shooting array) and actually drawing the weapon (cord might get in the way, but hell, that's what duct tape is for, right?).

Any comments on that idea.

The only problem I could see would be recoil.

CLICK ME about 4mb

Best video I've seen yet! These are all awesome. I wish I could get one. Keep'em comin!

I get the pleasure of doing up to four reloads in one COF. :D I do love L10 though.

The follow link as 3 videos I took with a rig I build by drilling a in a set of the blue peltors and mounting a quarter sized camera in. The camera is powered by a 9volt battery that fits in the shooting muffs. This was hooked to a RCA Lyra I got off of Ebay.

Cherokee link

It's all the knightoflight's fault. I bought a Samsung sports camera and recorded a steel match w/ it yesterday. The vids have been uploaded to video google and you can watch 'em here:

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=tack...cam+productions

The camera is very easy to use, and getting the vids from the camera to my computer was very simple. Way easier than the DVD Handycam I was using for the other 3rd person camera view clips I have uploaded. No .mpg conversion necessary. And actually the way I recorded the steel stages there's really no need to do any editing.

The clips are stored as .avi's on the camera, and they stay that way when I copied them over to my computer's hard drive. Window's Media Player plays them w/o any problems.

Sweeeeett!!!

The follow link as 3 videos I took with a rig I build by drilling a in a set of the blue peltors and mounting a quarter sized camera in. The camera is powered by a 9volt battery that fits in the shooting muffs. This was hooked to a RCA Lyra I got off of Ebay.

Cherokee link

Dan,

I would like to see some pics of this setup, if possible. Maybe you could bring it out to one of the local Monthly matches & I could lay eyes on it also.?

Thanks,

Cherokee link

Great videos. I like the little blip sound the camera makes when it hears the shot fired. Kind of makes it sound like you playing a video game or something. I'm sure you seen it but there is a cable or something that needs to be zip tied out of the way.