Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

To Tinker Or Not

Flyin40

John,

The poll doesn't tell us whether the gun ran from day one, only whether or not the owner chose to change/experiment with anything.

As for me I have a gun that has not stumbled since day one except for bad inputs from the operator :D

John,

The poll doesn't tell us whether the gun ran from day one, only whether or not the owner chose to change/experiment with anything.

As for me I have a gun that has not stumbled since day one except for bad inputs from the operator :D

It really doesn't matter if it ran from day 1 or not, we as open shooters seem to have this urge to mess with our guns regardless :P Thats what I meant from a "requirement" to tinker. I'm not really checking to see if guns ran from day one, originally I was but its more to see how many open shooters tinker with their guns. Just curious to see how many guys are like me. Have to try that new "watchamacallit doohicky" that just came out even though our guns already run great.

Flyin40

Edited by Flyin40

I haven't had to do a thing to my minigun 2 from Dawson. It just flat out runs. Thats more than I can say about all the other race guns I've had built.

I forgot to add all of the guns before Dawson's I had to do a lot of tinkering to get them to run.

I haven't had to do a thing to my minigun 2 from Dawson. It just flat out runs. Thats more than I can say about all the other race guns I've had built.

I forgot to add all of the guns before Dawson's I had to do a lot of tinkering to get them to run.

I was at the shop when my Dawson Open gun was finished. Even before the scope was on, from the first shot, it worked perfectly. When Dave hands you a 5-gallon bucket and says 'stand right there' while he test-fires and all the brass lands in the bucket, you know it's built right.

That said, I still tinker with dots and springs and guide rods and magwells and grips and all just for the heck of it, but it's been super reliable forever.

It really doesn't matter if it ran from day 1 or not, we as open shooters seem to have this urge to mess with our guns regardless :P

Well, it does matter.... :D heh heh.... The problem is that some of us seem to never stop tinkering to the point where stuff just doesn't work anymore....

So, for the record, my gun has run perfect from day one as long as I use working magazines and ammo. I have changed a few things on it for personal taste reasons - changed dot size (and back again), changed scope to a click-switch C-More from a variable C-More, added a Kidd blast shield (very recent), added my JB Weld mag button guard, changed magwell to a bigger Dawson ICE, changed to a lighter recoil spring, put in a rimless AFTEC (replacing the .38 Super AFTEC), countoured the thumb safety paddles to fit my hands better, and retextured the grip w/ a soldering iron. None of that implies that the gun didn't work at any point - they're just personalization things....

I tinker to the extent that it takes to get the gun to fit me correctly - if I had my smith local to me, I'd have him do the majority of it, just because. If the thing had a problem, it would go straight back to the smith. I don't mess with the major systems that I can't address on my own, should I screw something up.

ETA - That said - I also tinker the same on my non-Open competition guns... ;) Same sorts of things - personal fit and such....

Edited by XRe

I don't have a fancy open, but I tend to tinker for the hell of it. I like to understand how each component of whatever equipment I use works. I've tinkered with my G30 carry rig to no end. I feel is the only way to ultimately find out what does or does not work for me. I also feel its the only way to learn. I'd love to build my own gun one day, but I'd have to send it to a smith for the time-being to get truly amazing results on an open blaster.

Edited by Erucolindon

I tinker, or whatever you call it,with everything!

I recent got a taurus pt1911..after asking stupid questions about ser80 parts!

Realized I diddnt know squat about ser80 parts!! Very upsetting!!

The taurus has been TOTALY dissassembled,sliced diced and reworked to my satisfaction!

NEXT!

JIm :D

I'm relatively new to USPSA (little over 2 years now) and I think I pretty much have what I like figured out. The things I figured out include:

1. mag release spring power and button

2. c-more dot size

3. short flat trigger

4. undercut the grip

and that's about it. I don't know enough about gunsmithing to touch the internals and they don't need touching anyway. Gun goes bang every time I pull the trigger and it goes exactly where I'm aiming.

I was at the shop when my Dawson Open gun was finished. Even before the scope was on, from the first shot, it worked perfectly.

Like shred, I was at Dawson Precision for the very first shot fired in my Dawson Open Gun. From shot #1 to today it has run perfectly.

I have only tinkered with dot modules.

-Chet

My Brazo has run 100% and I do not tinker.

I don't even change brass manufacurer, I even ensure that the brass has been reloaded the same number of times in 2K-3K batches. I'm a firm believer that variation, even very small, raises the potential for a failure.

I'm a little retentive if you can't guess.

I'm a little retentive if you can't guess.

Just a tad :D heh heh.... For practice and local matches, I'll shoot just about any brass you throw at me... otherwise, I'm pretty anal about my ammo, too....

I love to tinker with my guns. I've done it since I found Rimfirecentral.com when I was a kid and tweaked out my 10/22. Now I tinker up whole guns! :o

It is the rare open gun that never jams. Even the best built open gun can be had by a slightly bad round or mag. Something that a limited gun would eat up and keep comin. Part of the reason I shoot limited...