Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack Loads

penman53

4.3 of Clays with a 200 SWC Precision Black Bullet. Length determined by the shoulder - just a fingernail thickness past/outside the brass. With the Precision Black Bullet 200 flat point AOL about 1.235 works for me. Start a little low and work up. Careful and don't put your eye out ..etc..etc.. :)

I used to shoot Titegroup and a 200gr. SWC. I've since switched to Clays and the 230gr. cast RN.

From what I know about TG, I would take Merlins advice and try Clays with the 200s. I believe he's known to have shot a couple of boxes of ammo through a single-stack :D .

4.3 of Clays with a 200 SWC Precision Black Bullet. Length determined by the shoulder - just a fingernail thickness past/outside the brass. With the Precision Black Bullet 200 flat point AOL about 1.235 works for me. Start a little low and work up. Careful and don't put your eye out ..etc..etc.. :)

I too like the clays 4.2 behind a 200gr plated and I wish it could be a little cleaner. The Titegroup characteristic is more like your .40 which is a snap compared to a push from clays.

Merlin, thanks for tip. I have Precision bullets on the way and will try your recipe. Any chance you have chrono'ed your load?

Hello: The 230 grain bullets give you a slower push on your hand while the 200 grain have more of a quick snap. I started with the 230 grain but soon found the 200 grain was faster for me to shoot. I found the slide with the 230 grain was slow. I use Precision 200 RNFP with 4.5 grains of Tite Group. Hope this helps. Thanks Eric

My old load was a 200 grn TMJ'd SWC (from westcoast) at 1.245" over 4.5 grns of straight clays.

Also used their 185 grn TC - don't recall how much straight clays I had to use. I like the speed of the slide w/ 185 and 200s.

I just bought a 45 acp and want to shoot single stack with it. Anyone have a recipie for 200 grain bullets. I am currently shooting 40 cal 180 grain bullets with Tite Group powder.

Thanks, Mark

Practice load of 4.0 Clays / 200gr LSWC BearCreek / Springer 45acp with Nowlin barrel. Have not Chrono these yet, but have Chrono the same load with Penn 200 gr H & G LSWC at 803fps ave. :)

If someone loaded the same type 200gn bullet using the same type powder, loaded to reach the same velocity as a 230gn bullet of say 800fps, what would be the percieved recoil effect between the two?

ETA: I know the 200gn should feel more snappy but is there really that much of a difference?

Zack

Edited by unclez

As far as loading for competition goes, we are talking about two different things.

In the case that you describe, the 200gr. will kick less, snappy or not.

When competitors say that the 200gr. load feels snappier they are speaking of equal power factor loads. To make 165PF with a 230gr. you need at least 718fps. But to do the same with a 200gr. you need over 825fps. That's why the 200gr. has more snap.

As far as loading for competition goes, we are talking about two different things.

When competitors say that the 200gr. load feels snappier they are speaking of equal power factor loads. To make 165PF with a 230gr. you need at least 718fps. But to do the same with a 200gr. you need over 825fps. That's why the 200gr. has more snap.

Yea, but I'm talking about leaving power factor out of the equation. If someone loads a 200gn bullet for example with 3.8gn of xx powder and a 230gn bullet with 3.8gn of xx powder using the same oal in both and shot out of the same gun, what percieved recoil will the shooter feel with each bullet?

Titegroup will work with the 200's . Load will be somewhere in the 4.8-5.0 gr. area.

Start around 4.6 and chrono.

200's will be a little snappier than 230's. Some like that, some don't. I prefer

230's myself.

Bill

The heavier bullet will generally produce more power factor and more recoil with the same amount of powder, all other things being equal. Since its pretty obvious that more power factor equals more recoil, the comparisons you will hear about generally assume an "apples to apples" power factor. In my experience, depending upon the speed of the powder, when switching between 200 and 230, to get the same power factor, somewhere between .2 and .6 grains less powder is required.

Yea, but I'm talking about leaving power factor out of the equation. If someone loads a 200gn bullet for example with 3.8gn of xx powder and a 230gn bullet with 3.8gn of xx powder using the same oal in both and shot out of the same gun, what percieved recoil will the shooter feel with each bullet?

This reminds me of the 3 blind men trying to describe the elephant fable......"Perceived" is subjective. Get thee some sample bullets and roll your own.