Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sights For Old Eyes

born-in-45

What are "older" shooters with less than 20/20 eyesight using for sights?

I really enjoy shooting Limited but am wondering if there is a better solution for sights. I shot an Open gun for the first time this past month and the C-More red dot was almost enough to make me go buy an Open gun but like I said, Limited is an awful lot of fun. Would prefer to find the best solution for old eyes shooting Limited.

Thanks

I really enjoy shooting Limited but am wondering if there is a better solution for sights. I shot an Open gun for the first time this past month and the C-More red dot was almost enough to make me go buy an Open gun but like I said, Limited is an awful lot of fun. Would prefer to find the best solution for old eyes shooting Limited.

Thanks

i bought my Dad the Dawson Precision fiber optic set for 1911's and he loved it...he loved the idea of just aligning the the 3 dots and thats it and its just darn bright to see...

I wear reading glasses too, +150. I also see 20/20 beyond about a yard, but at arms length, something like a front sight is very blurry...aint getting old a beeeatch!

I had a pair of glasses made just for shooting with polycarbonate glass, and the bifocal up top, so that level headed I'm looking through clear glass, but lean the head forward just a bit, and I'm looking through the bifocal which puts the sight in clear focus. There are some big name shooting glasses manufacturers that will do this for you for over $200 duckies, or I just went to a eye doc, explained what I needed, provided the frames and he had the lenses made and installed for I think $86 bucks. The lens on the right in the attachment is how I had mine ground.

post-9277-1171634264.jpg

I pretty much tried everything. Bifocals were too slow and there were shooting positions that made it impossible to get to either the close or far focus. Prone comes to mind. I wound up with single vision glasses that put my dominate eye focus on the sights and the weak eye on distance. Due to some other issues, FO sights make getting fine sight alignment a problem if the "dot" is too bright. I went back to solid post and it worked better. The real fix for me is my open gun!

Later,

Chuck

Edited by ChuckS

Thanks

I'm in the same boat, have been for a few years. The conclusion I've come to is a difference between "fun shooting" and Competition.

For Competition, It's OPEN all the way. Cmore, sights seem to work best for me too.

For fun, Shoot what you want!!!!!

Carl

He is a cheap solution. Take old pair of glass and go to mall and have them put a cheap single vision plastic lenses in the dominant eye side. Have them set the prescription to focus at the distance to your front sight with whatever stance you use. Bring in a water pistol to use for measurement.

No more problem of bifocal isn't in the right place. Your dominant eye will focus on the front sight and you will see it perfectly again just like when you were young.

When you look at the distance object ie targets your other eye will kick in and focus at infinity for you.

It restored my shooting and was cheap. Put the glasses on about 30 minutes before you shoot to let the brain adjust.

Edited by cking

He is a cheap solution. Take old pair of glass and go to mall and have them put a cheap single vision plastic lenses in the dominant eye side. Have them set the prescription to focus at the distance to your front sight with whatever stance you use. Bring in a water pistol to use for measurement.

No more problem of bifocal isn't in the right place. Your dominant eye will focus on the front sight and you will see it perfectly again just like when you were young.

When you look at the distance object ie targets your other eye will kick in and focus at infinity for you.

It restored my shooting and was cheap. Put the glasses on about 30 minutes before you shoot to let the brain adjust.

The near far thing is what I described above. The problem that I ran into was for shots 25 yards or longer I really had no idea what my preciesely aligned sights were pointing at. :wacko: Maybe it was an issue with using both eyes. In any case, I never was able to get reasonable results with distant targets. Close up were fine. Your mileage may vary.

Later,

Chuck

We just a big blowout on the rifle page under the tactical idea for ageing eyes, ie Bresbyopia.

You no longer have the ability to focus the ocular muscles and natural lense up close so you get reading glasses but when shooting you need to se the front sight and then the target at whatever distance.

I went to 1.0X glasses and a .100" front sight with a 1 mm (.040") red fiber optic (FO) for LTD. I may be going to 1.25X since my 51 year old eyes are having problems with smaller targets. You can't go too strong as you will have glasses that distort too much of the distance to see the target and still walk/run around.

USPSA has noted alot of older shooters are shooting Single Stack and Production other than the easier to see Open Division so the FO sights do help. I remember seeing a FO sight before I needed glasses. It was too bright to use as my 20/20 eyes were captured by it. Now it's required!!!

Crystal lense implants have numerous lenses on the face of the lense that your eyes pick for the distance you are looking. They are roughly $10,000 an eye and the jury is still out if they will help for speed shooting like we do.

Actually, I just had JP Enterprises "melt in" a JPoint on my Limited Gun. Yes, it's open class now, but, it changes nothing in the way I shoot...only what I can see. It doesn't cost thousands of dollars in gun, mags, and press stuff along with all the work involved with keeping the dragster tuned. Use what you have now. In a couple years, you might have to put wheels on it too. HaHaHa.

Edited by TheQuietMan2

Actually, I just had JP Enterprises "melt in" a JPoint on my Limited Gun. Yes, it's open class now, but, it changes nothing in the way I shoot...only what I can see. It doesn't cost thousands of dollars in gun, mags, and press stuff along with all the work involved with keeping the dragster tuned. Use what you have now. In a couple years, you might have to put wheels on it too. HaHaHa.

I am using a Beven Grams mounted Docter on my open gun. I don't have to do any thing different except enjoy seeing the targts :D

leftside.jpg

Later,

Chuck

I enjoy seeing the targets! It's just harder to see them through LTD sights...

My longer distance vision is still so good I can score targets easily out to about 17-18 yards without walking up to them. I still have to tell myself not to look for bullet holes too, trust the sights and make the shot......wait, I can't see the sights....?

I'm 55, and mainly shoot revolvers in IDPA, where there's a 4" limit on barrel length. I broke out my old 6" M14 for a USPSA match a while ago, and the two inches added to the sight radius almost felt like cheating, the front sight was so clear. Anything you can do to increase the sight radius would help.

I'm 55, and mainly shoot revolvers in IDPA, where there's a 4" limit on barrel length. I broke out my old 6" M14 for a USPSA match a while ago, and the two inches added to the sight radius almost felt like cheating, the front sight was so clear. Anything you can do to increase the sight radius would help.

Hmmmmm! Wonder if I can make that one fly by the wife? I been wanting to try one of Bennie's Fat Free 6" but couldn't come up with a good excuse as to why I "had to have" another gun. Think I may see if that one will fly....

"Honey, I could jump at least one class, maybe two, can GM be far away; if I just had a Bennie 6"er to clear up this vision problem that is keeping me from....."

Might just be worth the potential black eye or kick in the....

At our ages, growing longer arms is out of the question! I wear a 31" sleeve but wait, the shortest you can buy is 32" on adult shirts and I sure can't wear any smaller sizes!!!

I had a 6" model 14 that I seriously lament selling in the 80s. I still have a 4" model 15 sister gun that I will never sell. I bought it in 1978 for $164 and it is still 98% with a touch of holster wear and a great DA trigger. Those were the days when revolvers ruled. I was issued a model 66 in 1980 but we were only allowed to carry .38s so we all got +P+ ammo or the 158 LHP+Ps. I carried 18 rounds on my person, now I carry 18 rounds in the gun (G17)!!!

I had the same problem. I took my gun with me for my eye exam and tried different combinations with glasses none of which were satisfactory. I now shoot with contacts, my right eye contact focuses at the front sight(right handed shooter), the left is for distance. I have had no problem with this setup.

I shoot bullseye and subscribe to the Bullseye-L list. There is a gentleman on that list, Dr Norman Wong, he is an optrician and has written numerous articles about the eyes and pistol shooting for accuracy. The articles can be found here.

There is a lot of good info for those of who need glasses and shoot. :)

I copied this from a post last year. This has worked well for me, give it a try... Jim

I might suggest you use a simple magnification lens. You can buy them near the reading glasses at the drug store. These lens' are flexible plastic. You affix them inside your shooting glasses with water. Yep, water. You can remove them and reuse them too. About 3/4" square, they come two per box under twenty dollars. You can choose from several magnifications. I recommend the mildest you can get away with. Like 1.25 or 1.50. Just use one for your ''shooting eye''. By dry-firing at home you can adjust it's location inside your shooting glasses. In a short time you'll hardly notice it. You might be very surprised what a little bit of help here will provide. Good luck.

Jim

You might try having a pair of Decot Hy-Wyd's made for you. Mine are set up to focus on the front sight. They still have bifocals to read the score card and I can still see the targets although they're not crystal clear. The good thing is I don't look for my hits, because I can't see them easily anyway! Do a search for their website.

Thanks

I've been shooting limited for a few years and have experimented with several options including bi-focals and reading glasses in both eyes. I finally found an option that works well for me, but there are compromises.

Reading glasses for strong side, plano for weak side. Reading glasses alone make everything too fuzzy for movement.

Within a few feet of you nose your prescription will change 1/4 of a diopter for about 4-5" of increase in focal distance (1/4 less magnification for each 4-5"). For reading I use 1.75 correction. For shooting I use 1.50 correction in the strong eye, plain in the other. This allows me to see the sights well, even though the targets get fuzzy at distance. when there is a choice, see the sights! I still have to continually convince myself to LOOK AT THE SIGHTS.

I bought my WileyX shooting glasses throug Optics Planet. They provided both the prescription grind and the frames. I called my optomitrist and he faxed me the scrip that I wanted. You have to put the glasses on your nose and wear them for at least 15 minutes before shooting. This gives your brain time to adjust to the varible focal length.

There's lots of opinions, but this works for me.

Good Luck!

Landis

Thanks

I've been shooting limited for a few years and have experimented with several options including bi-focals and reading glasses in both eyes. I finally found an option that works well for me, but there are compromises.

Reading glasses for strong side, plano for weak side. Reading glasses alone make everything too fuzzy for movement.

Within a few feet of you nose your prescription will change 1/4 of a diopter for about 4-5" of increase in focal distance (1/4 less magnification for each 4-5"). For reading I use 1.75 correction. For shooting I use 1.50 correction in the strong eye, plain in the other. This allows me to see the sights well, even though the targets get fuzzy at distance. when there is a choice, see the sights! I still have to continually convince myself to LOOK AT THE SIGHTS.

I bought my WileyX shooting glasses throug Optics Planet. They provided both the prescription grind and the frames. I called my optomitrist and he faxed me the scrip that I wanted. You have to put the glasses on your nose and wear them for at least 15 minutes before shooting. This gives your brain time to adjust to the varible focal length.

There's lots of opinions, but this works for me.

Good Luck!

Landis

I went the other way, stronger for the nondominant eye...

• 2 weeks later...
I copied this from a post last year. This has worked well for me, give it a try... Jim

I might suggest you use a simple magnification lens. You can buy them near the reading glasses at the drug store. These lens' are flexible plastic. You affix them inside your shooting glasses with water. Yep, water. You can remove them and reuse them too. About 3/4" square, they come two per box under twenty dollars. You can choose from several magnifications. I recommend the mildest you can get away with. Like 1.25 or 1.50. Just use one for your ''shooting eye''. By dry-firing at home you can adjust it's location inside your shooting glasses. In a short time you'll hardly notice it. You might be very surprised what a little bit of help here will provide. Good luck.

Jim

Where can you find these? I have looked at my local wal-mart and couldn't find any. Product name?Thanks