Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Make Sure Your Mags Are Seated

shadetree

I was at a plate shoot this past weekend. It was the first I had been to in a year and a half and I was excited to get back into shooting. My plan was to shoot the 150 round match with 150 rounds.

It didn't happen. On the first stage third string. I didn't seat my mag all the way. got flustered and droped a couple of shots.

Second stage same thing. :o

Third stage was better but some how I lost my focus half way through and blew a run.

Funny thing is on the last 2 stages I decided the hell with it just have fun. Started focusing on my front sight and the runs got smoother and smoother. :D

The results were not what I had hoped for but I feel good about learning a few things.

• 1 month later...

is this part of your reload? why didn't you seat it... too many rounds in the mag.. too hard to seat.

as part of my pre stage prep I insert magazine, rack the slide hard once letting it go then press check and pull down on the magazine to insure it is seated. i've started stages before by dropping my mag... it's no fun.

Last Saturday, 4th stage out of 5, wonderful hoser course which is just up my alley (should be because I designed all 5 courses that day). Anyway, fired my first 8 rounds and had to move about 10 feet to the next sweet spot to mow down the other 18 shots, so I did a reload (limited, P16). Got to the position, sight pic on first target BANG-CLICK! Sh!t! This is going downhill rapidly. Thinking I didn't seat my mag so tap, rack, CLICK! Ever notice how loud those are...? Fine, time to regroup, so I change mags again. Now here's where it gets interesting. Hit the mag release and am bringing up the replacement and I can now see that the mag I am ejecting is EMPTY, hence the earlier click(s). DOH! So, tap, rack, and 18 bangs later my little mini train wreck is over. Salvaged a 6th place in the stage out of it.

Don't ask me how that empty got stowed on my belt. I am religious about reloading after a stage. But, this may be a blessing in disguise, as you can bet that I will be double and triple checking all my mags at Space City Challenge in two weeks.

Hopefully, lesson learned.

is this part of your reload? why didn't you seat it... too many rounds in the mag.. too hard to seat.

as part of my pre stage prep I insert magazine, rack the slide hard once letting it go then press check and pull down on the magazine to insure it is seated. i've started stages before by dropping my mag... it's no fun.

I think what happened is this..... I have been dry fire practicing draw shoot 1 reload shoot 1 reload shoot 1. Whith empty mags because I have no snap caps. With no rounds in the mags they seat very easilly with almost no effort. At the match I was inserting the mags with almost no effort. Thus the mags were not fully seated. also the gun is a glock 23 some of the mags are 10's some 13's and some 15's I never have a problem seating the 15 rounders because they are a bit longer. It was the shorter model 23 mags every time. :wacko:

I just remembered. I did something similar at the Production Nationals in Tulsa (2006). On Stage 17 (In The Trench)...

Unloaded gun start and I failed to get the mag seated. Bad recovery too. Wondering what that cost me...looks like it was 3 places in the standings.

Maybe I can talk my local match director into including plenty of unloaded gun starts in matches. :)

We did see lots of them at the Nationals.

I think what happened is this..... I have been dry fire practicing draw shoot 1 reload shoot 1 reload shoot 1. Whith empty mags because I have no snap caps. With no rounds in the mags they seat very easilly with almost no effort. At the match I was inserting the mags with almost no effort. Thus the mags were not fully seated. also the gun is a glock 23 some of the mags are 10's some 13's and some 15's I never have a problem seating the 15 rounders because they are a bit longer. It was the shorter model 23 mags every time. :wacko:

Something else occured to me today On the glock 23 the meat at the bottom of my right hand sits just a bit ( maybe an 1/8 the of an inch) below the bottom of the frame. I think my hand may have been stopping me from fully seating the mag. I'm going to do a little expirementation tonight.

Maybe I can talk my local match director into including plenty of unloaded gun starts in matches. :)

[obscure reference]

10102437.jpg

[/obscure reference]

:blink::wacko: I must have missed someting.

Steve, I have that problem with the 170mm in the STI you really have to mash it in there to get it to seat. It's no big deal, but coming from a 45 Kimber it takes some getting used too.

Edited by JThompson

• 4 weeks later...

Saw someone do this last weekend. Buzzer goes off, he draws and the mag flew. I felt bad for him but I had to laugh. Looked kinda like something you would see on a good comedy about cops.

• 2 weeks later...

Move from chair to uploaded gun on center barrel - all mags on barrels to the left and right - move to the right or left grab a mag load and start. Sound simple - big stick drops from gun brain srcambles #$^$#^#$#$^ opps the other mags do not have enough ammo so you need to take one with you for the reload.

Fix - make sure you mag is seated!!!!!

I pretty much shoot open all the time and I always start with a big stick in the gun. If I have to reload during the stage anyway I only put 25 in the stick and 20 in the 140s. That way the mag seats easy and I don't have the dropped mag thing happen during a match. I also never put an unloaded mag back on my belt until it has been unloaded, cleaned and reloaded. I have seen lots of people load a half full mag into a gun and blow a stage.

I did this again at this weekends' match for the umpteenth time. It might have been okay but I stared dumbly at the mag laying in the dirt for what seemed like forever before I stuck another one in. I'm shooting production with 10 rounds so the problem is just not inserting it firmly enough.

• 1 month later...
I learned that lesson at my very first match doing my very first reload in competition. From then on, I always slammed the mag in.

My very first match yesterday and I managed to do it not once, but twice on only six stages. The horror of BANG-CLICK-(*c%. :blink:

• 1 month later...

I guess its habit from the Army days, I always hit the mag twice. At my last (and second) match a fellow shooter asked me why I was doing that. He said I was burning time. I think the mag falling out or BANG Click would burn more and put a MO JO on my very small brain. Does it really take that much time to give the mag two taps instead of one?

Edited by VeryBadshot

Does it really take that much time to give the mag two taps instead of one?

The simple answer is "yes", but the real answer is "it depends". If you're moving hard from place to place, tapping a mag a second time doesn't cost you any time as long as it doesn't slow you down in your movement. If you're standing still, or only moving a short distance - or it slows you down - then tapping the mag twice is a time waster.

Better to insure you know your equipment and what it takes to seat a mag, from a speed perspective. In the military context, I can see where it would make sense, as you don't always know the quality and fit of your magazines (so it might take the 2nd bump to seat the mag), and getting one mis-seated could have much more severe consequences than mis-seating a mag in a pistol competition ;)