Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 34 Adjustable Sights To The Far Right

Cotys

I purchased a Glock 34 for IPSC shooting. When sighting it in, I had to adjust the rear sight to the far right stop. While it works and hits center, it is very far off center for me.

I had two other shooters try it out to make sure it wasn't just me. While target shooting I can keep a very tight group. The problem is when drawing and shooting quickly the sight is far right and off center.

Can anything be done to correct this? The base of the adjustable sight is centered. The options I see are:

1. Live with it

2. Drift the base of the adjustable sight left so the adjustable sight is more centered on the pistol.

3. Send it to Glock for repair

4. Trade it off

Anyone else seen this? I couldn't find it in the forums.

Have you tried shooting it from a ransom rest? WHen I first bought my G34 15 months ago, I though the same thing. The reality of the matter was that I was milking the grip and pulling my shots low and to the left.

Yep. I replaced the flimsy adjustable plastic Glock 35 sights with a little bit better setup.

Mine was shifting around quite a bit, and now that I have a fixed sight they all shoot to the same place. A wee bit high, but to the same place nonetheless.

When I started shooting glocks, I had to move mine to the right all the way. The more experience I got, the better I got shooting a glock, the more I moved it toward the center. Seems I was doing the same thing everyone else did. If you can get a ransom rest or a glock shooter that has shot them for quite a while, you may find it is not the sight but the shooter. No insult intended to you or the guys that shot your gun. It is almost the norm when you first start shooting a glock. MLM

If is is pre-owned, check the slide for cracks.

Seriously. One of our local shooters had an ongoing issue with a similar situation. Had to drift all the way to one side to gt the shots in the center. Turns out he had a small crack in the slide. Glock sent a new slide, same sights put on...dead center.

Who would have thunk it....

• 3 weeks later...

One of the things I really like about the 7 Glocks currently in my safe is that if the sights are centered in the slide they shoot center. The only variable I have personally witnessed is with elevation.

If you can shoot little groups consistently then adjust the sights accordingly and smile.

Patrick

A pint says all three of you are milking the grip. It's an exceedingly common problem for new Glock shooters. Changing where your finger hits the trigger from the pad to the joint can give you more leverage and alleviate the desire to milk the grip as you fire the pistol.

Prepping the trigger is another important technique. It basically involves taking up most of the slack so that it only takes a tiny bit more force to break the shot. There's more to it than that, but that's a start...

Edited by EricW

The more I've shot Glocks, actually, the more I've found my trigger finger contact point moving from the crease toward the tip. That placement, I find, allows me to pull the trigger much more straight to the rear than pulling it to the side. Yes, pulling with the tip gives me less leverage to pull the trigger. You can look at that as a good thing or a bad. Personally, I've found that most of my past inability to keep shots together on double taps could be traced to too much energy put into manipulating the trigger pulling the gun off target. For me, a technique that does limit the amount of leverage I have on the trigger is a good thing. YMMV.

Of course, all my Glock trigger pulls are way lighter than factory stock, which may do its bit to let the "pulling with the fingertip" technique work for me. :D

Yes, milking the grip made worse by the glock trigger. But it's not limited to new Glock shooters. I've had my G34 for 3 or 4 years and shot at least 12000 rounds through it. Plus several thousand rounds through my G21. The rear sight on the G34 has always been more or less centered for me. But, I just went out and checked the point of aim for our first club match and I had to move the rear sight way over to the right to hit anything. Interesting to see if I have to move it back as the weather improves and I do more live fire practice.

Every single Glock I've ever shot has hit to the left for me. And that's not just freestyle, but from the bench as well. Richard Heinie told me a few years ago he's had the same experience. At one time, Heinie actually produced a Glock rear sight with the notch offset to the right so you could center the sight on the slide but still hit point of impact/point of aim.

After doing this for years, it's gotten to the point I can zero a new set of sights on a Glock without even shooting it. I just offset the rear sight to the right the appropriate amount during installation, go to the range, shoot it, bang! I'm dead on. The last time I did this, just a few weeks ago, I took my MGW Glock sight pusher (got it from Brownells) to the range with me, just in case. Didn't need it. At 50 feet (the maximum distance possible at the indoor range on which I was shooting) it was spot-on. Pretty funny. I couldn't help but laugh. I've just done this whole "Putting new sights on Glocks" thing way too often.

All 5 of my glocks have shot slightly to the left. I set the rear sight slightly to the right. I also saw that over time, the adjustment required lessoned. I do believe most glocks shoot a little left, but if it's a lot, it's a grip and trigger control problem more than the gun.

I have 2 - 35's, and a 34. All of the sights are to the right. I purchased 1 of the 35's and the 34 new. All have JP trigger jobs.

I think it's the factory "plastic sights".

Edited by Ed K

Shot it left handed...see if the groups move. ;)

I just wanted to repeat this....over and over and over again.

Let me help as I agree.

Or maybe Gaston is LEFT handed and has had ALL Glocks (secretly) built to compensate.

Or maybe you ,I and Eric just don't shoot well enough to notice this phenomenon.

Patrick

Moving the finger on the relation to the trigger is a "Trick of the Day" that helped me get through the milking issue. As time went on, I naturally reverted to having more of the pad on my finger on the trigger - and still kept my sights aligned centered on the slide. In fact, the way I usually zero my new Glocks is to use a set of calipers to set the sights to the true centerline of the slide and just adjust the front sight for elevation.

These kind of debates remind me of the bad old days at the public range when the guys on the station on my left were absolutely convinced that how they planted their feet and leaned into the gun affected where the bullets would strike.

"Uhh...you do realize that if you just release the trigger correctly that you could be hanging upside down from monkey bars and the bullets would hit where they're supposed to...?"

Approximately six picoseconds passed before they resumed the great stance extravaganza in an effort to zero their pistols. Making that just another in a long series of life experiences where I might was well have hopped out of my Intergalactic Chevy Impala and said, "Take me to your leader."

<long sigh>

All we're trying to do is help here, honest.

Edited by EricW

I am SO bummed out over this information! Benny has been telling me that my tendency to shoot low left when really trying to stand on it is because I am wanking on the trigger as I milk the grip. If that's not bad enough now I find that my overpriced cutom hand built one off STI may be infected with "Glock shoot left-ism."

Damn. :P;)

now I find that my overpriced cutom hand built one off STI may be infected with "Glock shoot left-ism."

I'm only doing this because I consider you a friend. I'll take that left-shootin' heater off your hands for fifty...no....make that sixty American dollars there muchacho. I'd give you more, but I have to afford to get the BoMars welded to the right side of the slide. ;)

I just checked the point of aim on my G35 (off of sandbags). The rear sight is centered. As I mentioned in my post above, the rear sight on my G34 is set way over to the right. Both have the same aftermarket sights, and stock (3.5 connector) triggers. I would have thought that the sharper recoil from the .40 would cause me to milk the grip more, but apparently not. Anyone have an explanation?