Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Witness Elite Series

Nemo

Thought this deserved it's own space and visibility

A few words on the Witness Elites Series (Tanfoglio / EAA):

Witness Elite Limited post-2776-1170330185.jpg

Designed specifically for IPSC standard class / USPSA limited. It's an all-steel, long dustcover, heavy barrel, SA gun with adjustable sights. I slowly started shooting limited class in 2004 and picked up a brand new one just before the Nats. Shot 200 rnds at my local range and went to the match. Gun ran flawless and I came in 12th I think. Since then it's becoming my favorite discipline and a lot of it has to do with the gun. Shooting 180s (Armscor) and Clays powder the setup is an incredible quick shot-to-shot recovery. I contribute this to the heavy steel frame and the light slide. It has a polygonal Lothar Walther barrel that doesn't tear up bullets and allows for impressive accuracy. With some mods to the mags I get 21 + 1 in my 140mms and 18 + 1 in my IPSC mags. MSRP $1049 for 2007.

post-3780-1170240224.jpg

Witness Elite Stock post-2776-1170330229.jpg

Made for production. DA gun with bull barrel, short dustcover. Slide is slightly shorter than the Limited. You could of course get this in 40 and shoot limited, but only if you have to buy one gun only. It's a great production gun with adj sights and the same guts as the Limited. Given the same caliber, mags work cross the board for all Elite Series pistols. I just got in some great holsters for this gun ! MSRP $819 for 2007.

post-3780-1170240283.jpg

Witness Elite Match post-2776-1170330203.jpg

A super deal for the money. This is the target gun, plinker, fun gun that you of course can shoot in Limited or I believe even IDPA ESP. Round trigger guard and less agressive checkering than the others, but same great grip. It's got a straight barrel instead of the bull barrel. MSRP $609 for 2007.

post-3780-1170240340.jpg

Witness Elite Gold Team

The open gun that has won 3 world championships.. New for 2007 is a slightly shortened gun compared to the 2006 and previous years. The hybrid hole-count is now a staggering 12 plus a center hole. Gun looks great, has a better balance and quicker handling than previous models. I get 28 + 1 in my 170mm mags in 38 super, but you can push for 29 if you really care to. Recommend rimless brass, Alex scope mount and C-More sight to complete the gun. MSRP $1,789 for 2007.

post-3780-1170240436.jpg

Some more...

btw.

EAA also has Elite Limited in 38 super!

It would be a helluwa steel gun for American Handgunner World Shoot Off, Steel Challenge, Winchester World Challenge etc. If you're looking for a gun specifically for this shooting category, I can't imagine anything that would perform better in the Limited minor category.

I choose 38 super rimless over 9mm for magazine capacity (get more rounds over 9mm due to the straight case instead of the cone case) and feeding reliability. You should be able to get 22 or 23 + 1 with a little bit of work in a 140mm mag with 38 super rimless.

and more

Nemo,
How about that magwell in the Elite Ltd? Does it drop-in in the Elite Stock (provided the grip panels are changed) or is some machining required? How's the trigger on those? Who would work on them if needed? Fiber optic front sights available for these?
You can put the same magwell on the Stock. If you do, I recommend fitting a pair of alu-grips that you can shape to your hearts content. The difference between the Limited and the Stock is .400" in length and of course a short dustcover on the Stock. I've never thought of doing it before, but it would in fact make a smart two-in-one gun. The Stock has a type of checkering that I actually prefer over the Limited! It uses the same trigger parts so you could even do a trigger job using the EGW sear.
Edited to add: Loading for the Witness 40, would it "eat" the long bullets my kids use in their STI's or should one stay at factory ammo length?
Absoluely, I load mine at 1.180" - 1.200" depending on the bullet. I recommend the EGW undersized 40 die for resizing practice ammo. For important matches, always use NEW brass; Armscor Nickel has impressed me with slick feeding. These little details matter when you're pushing 21 + 1 in your mags and want no trouble.

Get it touch with me trough my site (email) and I'll help you get everything you need.

Henning

http://henningshootsguns.com

Edited by Nemo

They do look like interesting guns. Years a go I had a tanfogli 9. It was a good gun that fit my hand very well. I wish I had not needed to get rid of it but life doesn't all ways move the way that we want it too.

I too have cosidered purchasing an elite match.

Im wondering if the limited is going to have a good trigger like the CZ TS if it does ill probably grab one ...21+1 to start a stage is always a good thing

Amen to that Brother Og!

Anybody knows if the Stock and the Match have ambi safeties?

I believe the Stock comes with ambi safeties. Either way, ambi safeties are available and all Tanfoglio safeties work for the models. I use the "Extended". They also have the "Custom" which works well for shooters with short thumbs; having a hard time reaching the safety.

On the Witness Elite...

So the big question is tune up work. Are the trigger parts/geometry similar enough to the CZ's to where we can send them to say Angus for a trigger job or does Henning have someone (maybe himself) that we can send them to get work done on them. Back in the ol' days, that was one of the big issues about CZ/EAA/Tangfolio pistols was that the cool parts were in Europe (along with hi-caps). Flat triggers, etc.

Any info is appreciated.

Rich

ETA: I'm considering this for a steel gun and a Cup gun so if there are any 'smiths that want to machine a lighter/better comp that would be awesome. Too, any info on how this pistol does with light loads is appreciated (i.e. is it a simple respringing or is there some surgery to be done to it).

ETA2: Found some triggers, hammers and safeties on the EAA website as well as scope mounts over at Eric Grauffel's. So now the question is that is there a source for Eric's Euro scope mounts here in the US and anyone do trigger/slide work on these guys?

Edited by uscbigdawg

I handled an elite limited in 10mm at the Tucson Club match today. I was impressed, felt good and had all the goodies. Best of all it was in 10mm. :D I have always liked the Witness frames and this thing was very nice for the $. I will most likely end up with one.

Neal in AZ

Edited by Intel6

So the big question is tune up work. Are the trigger parts/geometry similar enough to the CZ's to where we can send them to say Angus for a trigger job or does Henning have someone (maybe himself) that we can send them to get work done on them. Back in the ol' days, that was one of the big issues about CZ/EAA/Tangfolio pistols was that the cool parts were in Europe (along with hi-caps). Flat triggers, etc.

Apart from some minor polishing I left my trigger as it arrived with the gun. I like it just the way it is, but then I prefer a slightly heavy trigger. I suspect that any gunsmith can work the trigger for you, as to the flat triggers, I had one for my Springfield P9 back in UK many, many years ago... Not sure if anyone is making them for Tanfoglio/EAA.

I've been holding off until I have all the items together so I can start selling EAA's. I have 4 Limiteds and 3 Matches in stock right now. They will be sold as a package- gun, mags, tune up, and a few spare parts.

When everything is ready I'll make an announcement in my dealer section. Be a little patient I'm waiting on the sears and tack down lever/slide stops. I have one Match(short dust cover) that has been converted to a Limited, squared trigger guard, checkering front and back strap, welded on magwell, and a few other little features.

Later,

Rich

Edited by RIIID

Have we come full circle yet? :lol: Well, maybe when everybody's shooting a revolver again, but this is pretty close!

A Witness was my first firearm ever and the one with I started this game. It was one of the "Witness Steel" line where the front sight was part of the slide. Then they phased off.

10+ years later... here we are again talking about Tanfos and their possibilities. Is this cool or what?

B)

RIIID, we'll be talking soon.

Interesting this topic should come up, Nemo.

By coincidence I recently purchased an older used two-tone Witness 9mm with adjustable sights. It was $302 including shipping. I ordered a bunch of mags ($20 each), did my own trigger work on it, and now I have a complete Production set-up, dirt cheap! I haven't shot a match with it yet, but just casual testing on my plate out back tells me how ridiculously easy this gun is to shoot! So far I'm really impressed.

I've been holding off until I have all the items together so I can start selling EAA's. I have 4 Limiteds and 3 Matches in stock right now. They will be sold as a package- gun, mags, tune up, and a few spare parts.

When everything is ready I'll make an announcement in my dealer section. Be a little patient I'm waiting on the sears and tack down lever/slide stops. I have one Match(short dust cover) that has been converted to a Limited, squared trigger guard, checkering front and back strap, welded on magwell, and a few other little features.

Later,

Rich

Keep us posted Rich. Maybe interested in the limited.

Nemo,

I know what you mean. When I started in this game, there were about equal number of STI, Caspian and EAA pistols. The EAA's were super popular 'cause of the ergonomics and how well they fit hands, but the hard part was being a AWB world it was near impossible to get mags for them. Mike Setting, a GM in So Cal, was the last guy I think to use one. I had a chance to pick up a full setup from him dirt cheap with a ton of 9x21 brass but college expenses prevented that.

Post AWB, I see a lot of the old guns coming back and that's great not only for the industry but especially for the consumers. The average guy can now choose between STI, SV, Caspian, Para, EAA and CZ and not sacrifice really anything. Parts are available, there are gunsmiths that know how to build/work on them again, mags are available (woohoo!) and hopefully we can see a renaissance in USPSA/Practical shooting (like what it was back in the 90's).

RIIID, we'll definitely be talking if Henning and I don't hook up first.

Rich

If you need to have your gun worked at, you can check with EGW. George Smith has worked on these guns for nealy 20 years. He'll take the factory hammer, recut it to work with his own sear. This is currently the best setup for a super trigger. I'll have trigger parts available for sale as soon as he gets aftermarket triggers made. That'll be the next trick for these guns.

Scope mounts, email me and I can hook you up. It'll be the light weight double sided mount for C-More.

Edited by Singlestack