Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Olympic Arms Ar-15

thejoe

I know I've been throwing out a lot of questions about weaponry buuut...

I found an Olympic AR15 for sub $600 and was blown away to find an AR15 for that price. Is Olympic any good? (sidenote: they also make their own version of the 1911) I am interested in this deal since I've always wanted one but I know I won't go 3 gun for a while so it may not be the right way to spend my $$. Anyway... if you have an opinion I'd like to hear it.

joe

I have owned a few olys they seem ok .

Any thing that breaks on an AR is easily repaired.

every one will have a different opinion on what is best..and some are better than others!

If you find a great buy on a gun in good condition ..why not?

If you have a few extra bucks, get exactly what you want.

IMHO JP rifles builds one of the very best, but almost anyones will do quite well.

Jim

I owned a factory built one but it was a long time ago, don't remember anything particularly bad about it.

However, last week I was helping a buddy build an AR using an Oly lower and the mag well was so tight that mags wouldn't drop freely. YMMV

I have one tha i bought for 700 it is the K16 and I love it, in fact i loved it so much I built a USPSA upper for it with all Oly parts and it'll shoot MOA at least so far ( only shot to 200 yds though) I get a great deal on them caus ei am in the Military and I live like 40 min for the factory.

Casey

Given that the AR configurations are so multiple I would suggest you get a better idea of what you might want before you buy a gun simply for the $$$$ reason.

There are always plenty of used $500-700 ar's around when you need one. But getting rid of one that is in a configuration you don't want can sometimes be a pain.

Two different manufacturing methods for their receivers, they build for others, as is possible with any receiver sold as receiver only you do not know how gun a gunsmith put it together. wether barrel headspaced , assembled and torgued to right values if bolt was magluxed was carrier key peaned in place. I would be likely to tear it all down and make sure it is put back right. By the way i have a oly with a stainless ultramatch barrel great gun with the good receiver. I am in a state that bans ar so what i have is all i will ever have

• 2 weeks later...

I built an Oly shorty carbine about 15 years ago, it has worked flawlessly for thousands of rounds. I chose it then due to cost, and when compared to colts and SA's, the lower receivers were built a lot beefier. When I first got the kit, the lower and upper were a sloppy fit, a quick call to OLY had things straightened out fast, great customer service, I sent back the lower and upper and they hand selected the returns, they were tight. There were not many players in the game back then and it was a good bet. Now days though, there are a lot of good companies making quality stuff. Im in the middle of building another Carbine, but this flavor will be DPMS.

a few months ago, i 'built' ('assembled' is a better word, it's beyond easy) an AR on a stripped DPMS lower and a complete 20" A2 upper from MAparts.com. the complete upper comes fully assembled and headspaced/testfired and includes the guts for your stripped lower.

i bought the lower locally and ordered the upper kit. the lower is the 'firearm' and must be FFL'd, but the upper kit can ship directly to your house. i've got right at $600 into it, not counting sling/mags, and built exactly what i wanted for my first AR, which was a traditional 20" rifle with fixed carry handle and buttstock.

frye

• 2 weeks later...

I too had a M4 version that to me was pure junk. It would group 12" at 100 yds and nothing the factory could do could improve on it. I guess what I'm saying is that quality control is iffy. Some guys get real tack drivers and others lemons. I lived close to the factory so it was not such a big hassle but still one nevertheless. Even the factory gunsmith's rifle would hiccup at local 3gun events, not a good impression on other shooters or for the company. You decide here...

:rolleyes: Save a few more dollars and buy a Rock River Arms. I have had ZERO malfunctions with the two that I own. One is the .223 Tactical model and the other is the 9mm Carbine. These guys are great to work with and will put your gun together with any combo that you can think of. I have had many AR's over the years and the fit and finish of RRA is outstanding. Good luck on your purchase whatever you decide on and hope to see you at a 3-gun soon. Tri-County Gun Club in Polo, Illinois has a 3-gun format every month if you care to shoot it. You can also just shoot pistol if you wish. Tom.

Oly Barrels are damn good, but thats about it.

Patrick

My sentiments exactly! Their Ultramatch barrels rock! Stick with manufacturers and builders that support our sport and you can't go wrong (JP, Cavalry Arms, DPMS, Sabre, et. al.).

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

I'll third the recommendation for the Rock River Arms. I've had two thus far in for article testing and been very impressed. When I first handled a Rock River Arms, not knowing its price, just going on its fit, finish and especially trigger pulls, which are out-of-the-box sweet, I assumed this was some expensive semi-custom gun. I was shocked to find that Rock River Arms was actually toward the lower end of the price spectrum among factory AR-15s.

A friend of mine who used to be one of the managers at a large local gun shop told me that in his opinion the Rock River Arms was the best AR they sold, price to value-wise, and they sell everything: Olympic, DPMS, Armalite, Colt, Bushmaster. As he put it, "When you by a Rock River Arms, it's like getting $300 worth of gun for free." Low end of the price spectrum, high end of the quality spectrum. What's not to like?

http://www.mapartsinc.com/

inexpensive, mil-spec complete uppers.

frye

M&A barrels are not "mil-spec"

Mil-spec is 1:7 twist, 4150 steel, chrome lined, forged front sight base/taper pins.

M&A is 1:9 twist, usually not chrome lined. the older ones had cheap roll pins holding on a cast front sight base.

Not saying you can't make a nice accurate rifle from one, but they are not mil-spec.

http://www.mapartsinc.com/

inexpensive, mil-spec complete uppers.

frye

M&A barrels are not "mil-spec"

Mil-spec is 1:7 twist, 4150 steel, chrome lined, forged front sight base/taper pins.

M&A is 1:9 twist, usually not chrome lined. the older ones had cheap roll pins holding on a cast front sight base.

Not saying you can't make a nice accurate rifle from one, but they are not mil-spec.

my mistake.

frye

Go with the RRA, lifetime warranty on parts says it all. Another plus is they come with the best stock trigger of all the AR's.

Ask any Service Rifle competitor, and other than the Uber pricey Giselle and Jewell match triggers, the most common upgrade to any lower is to replace the manufacturers stock trigger with the RRA NM two stage trigger.