Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading For Ipsc/uspsa

builder1

Hello, I am new to reloading pistol ammo...have reloaded rifle ammo forever. I had a Rep. from a company I buy from invite me to shoot USPSA/ISPC with him and I loved it. I shot factory ammo the first time. I was wondering if anyone had any load suggestions for handloading. For the time being, I will shoot my Kimber 5" 45 ACP's. Any info (bullet manufacturers, load data, etc.) would be great. Thanks.

P.S. Hard cast bullets or plated or jacketed?

Welcome to the Practical Shooting world. We are all glad you enjoyed your initial experience. Search around a bit and look over the New Member Info.

You will find that reloading for pistol is more simple and easier than for rifle. What components do you currently have on hand for the pistol, if any?

Welcome to the Practical Shooting world. We are all glad you enjoyed your initial experience. Search around a bit and look over the New Member Info.

You will find that reloading for pistol is more simple and easier than for rifle. What components do you currently have on hand for the pistol, if any?

I'll take a look around at the new member info...I'm new to forums also...

I have held off on components until i get some feedback, but have tons of brass ( I used to work in law enforcement and kept all the brass when we cleaned up the range) I have quiet a bit of bullseye and winchester powders...but thats about it. I was holding off to find out what type of bullets (hard cast etc., before buying powders). Titegroup was suggested as being very economical and a good powder at a gun show the other day though.

Thanks for the info.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the addiction I call USPSA!

There are tons of loads listed in the .45 Reloading section, but as stated the 200gr or 230gr bullets are hard to beat over Clays (that's plain Hodgdon Clays). The combo is incredibly soft compared to factory ammo. I prefer the Precision moly bullets for MY money.

If you happen to have any Winchester WST in your stockpile, I think you will find it satisfactory for .45ACP too. Personally, I don't care for Titegroup with a non jacketed bullet.

I shoot a wheelie and am using 230gr Frontiers over 5.0gr Bullseye and that gives me a PF of 182.

I also use this load for IDPA.

The reason for 1 load for the 2 disciplines with different PF's is there can be NO mistake which ammo to use.

I have little .45 reloading experience. But alot of handgun.. I wouldnt expect tightgroup to work well in .45ACP Tightgroup is a low density powder meaning a grain doesnt take up much room in the case. Loading .40 to minor cause my groups to open up and I expect it to be worse in .45. I know alot of people use Bulls eye and WST takes up alot of room in the case so does WSL. But Clays takes up even more which is probably why so many .45 shooters like it. Find something in the burn rate around WST or faster with a similar density. Cast bullets smoke more an issue if you shoot indoors, plated bullets cost more jacketed even more. Depending on your gun it may shoot cast or jacketed more accurate with plated in the middle. The only plated bullet I would reccommend is Berry's They make a hollow base 180 the size of a 230 that is awsome loaded to higher pressure in stock barrels but not so good in match barrels for some reason. Cirrently all my reloading is either XTP's for social situations or Precision Black bullets. No lube issues and good cost..