Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weather So Cold

bountyhunter

This has gone beyond ridiculous: went to shoot my league last night at the indoor range (7PM) and it was STINKING COLD..... my feet, hands and fingers were frozen solid, but I can handle it.

Not so, my gun..... a Para 16-40 shooting standard 180-gr ammo. All stock.

Bottom line, the lube I use (which was a blend of one part Slide Glide Lite to three parts FP-10) got cold enough to start short stroking the slide and giving me feed jams.

I had to strip it and clean the rails and apply straight FP-10. Finally fired, shot terrible scores from all the jamming and screwing around.

I went home (about 8PM) and checked the thermometer and it was 35 degrees.

This is RIDICULOUS! They keep saying the record cold will break NEXT WEEK.... and they keep moving it out to the next week.... and next week.....

And if any of you eat fruit: kali has lost at least a BILLION dollars worth of various fruit crops (avacados, grapes, lemons etc) to the hard freeze.

You can expect shortages and high prices soon to be featured in a grocery store near you. :angry:

My golf instructor of 17 years used to always tell me:

"Anyone who lives in a cold climate is a victim of circumstance, because no one would do it by choice."

I tend to agree!!!

As a footnote, I DO NOT even own a coat!!!

It is because of climate change, which could really mean the beginning of the end of the world. I was watching some stuff on Discovery, climate change is the number one threat. The world's weather is teetering off balance, in my life lifetime, I expect MAJOR change.

+1 +1 +1. California is freezing and people are getting 70 degree weather in the South...this is scarier than earthquakes and floods because it is gradual and unstoppable.

Edited by A-shot

"Anyone who lives in a cold climate is a victim of circumstance, because no one would do it by choice."

I tend to agree!!!

I don't live in a cold climate..... at least it didn't use to be. The bay area in kalifornia used to have the most beautiful winters you could imagine. Overnight lows in the upper forties, daytime highs in the 60's with warm sunshine.

This freezer hell we have had for the last six weeks is unprecedented.

California is freezing and people are getting 70 degree weather in the South...this is scarier than earthquakes and floods because is gradual and unstoppable.

Better hope they start growing fruit.

Our crops all froze to death. :o

My ideal temp is about 90 degrees, and then add about 85% humidity, and it is perfect.

Anything under 78 is too cold in my opinion!!!

It is because of climate change, which could really mean the beginning of the end of the world. I was watching some stuff on Discovery, climate change is the number one threat. The world's weather is teetering off balance, in my life lifetime, I expect MAJOR change.

+1 +1 +1. California is freezing and people are getting 70 degree weather in the South...this is scarier than earthquakes and floods because it is gradual and unstoppable.

Temperature fluctuations are normal throughout history. I forget exactly when, but there was a time that wine grapes were grown in Northern England in either the 14 or 15 hundreds.

This whole "global warming" thing is a CROCK!!! 2 years ago all the hurricanes were blamed on global warming and the air pollution of large industry!!! Now it is cold, who is to blame for this???????

The liberals can't have it both ways, so lets hear it, who is to blame?????

Well when we have the next "normal" ice age comes, I'll be sure and let everyone know that your ideal temp is right around 90 degrees. I'm not liberal, but you can blame all your problems on me. ;):P

PS-Climate change is different than global warming, the ice IS melting...

Edited by A-shot

My limited gun is very tight, I have to put the slide-glide light on if it is under about 70* and give it up all together below about 50*. FP10 so far is good well below freezing as is Mobil 1 15W-50..

I wish it was 35 when i was shooting today! I just came home and it is 20 degrees here in PA at my range. I would shoot 3 mags, and get back in the car to reload them, hop back out and shoot another drill and jump back in the warm car to reload.

Howdy fellow whinners :P

Its cold here -5 this morning.

My gun wont run under about 35 no lube except powdered graphite will work at the low temps in my gun..kinda dirty but it works for me .

PS I think California's weather is being affected by too many ileagal alien's passing too much gass <_<

Jim

Hey the ice caps are melting on Mars too. See how bad global warming is.

Mars lost it's ice because it lost it's magnetic field which deflected the "solar wind" which passes through space.

Howdy fellow whinners :P

Its cold here -5 this morning.

My gun wont run under about 35 no lube except powdered graphite will work at the low temps in my gun..kinda dirty but it works for me .

PS I think California's weather is being affected by too many ileagal alien's passing too much gass <_<

Jim

Don't forget the methane gas from all the cows farting..... :lol:

I wish it was 35 when i was shooting today! I just came home and it is 20 degrees here in PA at my range. I would shoot 3 mags, and get back in the car to reload them, hop back out and shoot another drill and jump back in the warm car to reload.

Been there, done that...

Weatherman says it might make it up to 20 by Saturday - he said -17 on my way to work this morning, warming tonight, only down to -13.

Hard to make improvements when it takes till mid-summer just to get back to where you were last season.

There should be a special category for anyone that live where the weatherman starts with the windchill 4 months out of the year.

Sherwyn

Always have and always will hate midwest winters.

This has gone beyond ridiculous: went to shoot my league last night at the indoor range (7PM) and it was STINKING COLD..... my feet, hands and fingers were frozen solid, but I can handle it.

Not so, my gun..... a Para 16-40 shooting standard 180-gr ammo. All stock.

Bottom line, the lube I use (which was a blend of one part Slide Glide Lite to three parts FP-10) got cold enough to start short stroking the slide and giving me feed jams.

I had to strip it and clean the rails and apply straight FP-10. Finally fired, shot terrible scores from all the jamming and screwing around.

I went home (about 8PM) and checked the thermometer and it was 35 degrees.

This is RIDICULOUS! They keep saying the record cold will break NEXT WEEK.... and they keep moving it out to the next week.... and next week.....

And if any of you eat fruit: kali has lost at least a BILLION dollars worth of various fruit crops (avacados, grapes, lemons etc) to the hard freeze.

You can expect shortages and high prices soon to be featured in a grocery store near you. :angry:

I'm sorry, but I'm having a real hard time feeling sorry for you and your plight, when in my state it is currently 7 degrees and we experience these temperatures regularly. Now, while I realize you probably EXPECT better temps where you are at, it is tough to get SOME people to pity your situation. So, pack up your muckalucks and head on up to the Great Lake State, and we'll do a little ice fishin', snowmobilin' and beer drinkin' and show you how to appreciate your new-found weather!!! :P

I agree, the cold is out of hand. For the first time in my life I wussed out on a snowmobile trip because of the cold. Minus 60 degrees wind chill. Actual temp was -27, but the breeze...burrrrr. If you guys think having your pistol freeze is the pits, try getting rid of a couple of 32 ouncers of coffee in waist deep snow through three layers of clothes with a two layer private part...

I'm in the same boat with Ron, just 2 hours south. The last week or so has all been below freezing.

I feel like I'm back in North Dakota without the lefsa.

The drifts are so big, we can't even get to the bays at the range. I haven't shot in a month, I've reloaded to the point where my house should be placarded for explosives and I'm out of brass, and currently living with my wife and my mother.

I'm spiraling, I'm spiraling..... I need a beer.... :blink:

Yep! -37 the othere day in Pinedale, and right now it is a balmy -17, Oh yea! Did anyone forget that Wyoming is windy! the wind chill makes it feel...well....COLD, Now where is that darn blue smiliey face guy.

FP-10 on the Fat Free runs in this temp, but ALL draws are from concealment. :lol:

Let,s see, right now we are drilling through Cretacious sands and shales deposited in the great "inland sea" the last time the "ice caps" melted a "few" million years ago. Must have been Dinasaur flatulation, and "air polution" from metor impacts and volcanoes. DARN MAMALS ANY WAY!!! :P

I tend to agree!!!

I have to disagree because I did it by choice. I got tired of having to drive 85 on the freeway or get run over or the constant road rage or the 5 mile parking lot because of an accident. There were probably 10 million people within a 50 mile radius. A concealed carry permit was impossible unless you contributed big bucks to the Sheriff. I now live in a city of 50,000, the whole state has 850,000 and I can wear my gun openly except in a city/town that restricts it or in a logging camp. I can throw a gun in the glove compartment or console and it is not concealed because it is not on my person.

On my way to the next largest town 180 miles away is a sign that says a temperature of -70 was recorded at a mining camp nearby so a coat or 2 is a good idea even in the summer time.

So sometimes it is not about climate but whats around you. Come to the Open Nationals & I will be glad to show you around.