Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which 9mm 1911

Chuck Merriam

I have a Kimber Stainless Target II I shoot in IDPA that does well. Others I shoot with use STI Trojans and Brileys. 9mm 1911's can be a picky about magazines and ammo. Once you have magazines and ammo that run they are excellent. I use Metalform magazines with the spacer in the back with Wolf extra power mag springs. Others use the Springfield type magazines with the indentation in the front. When I was looking Wilson indicated they were developing a 9mm magazine. I was not getting a reliable slide lock until I installed the Wolf extra power springs.

It helps if you handload ammo to have the option to adjust the overall length. Generally a little shorter works better. I understand Remington factory ammo is a little shorter than WWB.

My gun with an empty magazine weighs in at just under the 43 oz weight limit for IDPA ESP so the recoil and muzzle flip are minimized.

Keith

For ANY competition gun...game gun... don't get a shorty.

My .02. :)

Sight radius or reliability ?

Both. 4.2 guns are pretty reliable and most all of the makers have them tuned and timed well when they come out of factory. Anything less is a crap shoot - In My experience. However...

More muzzle flip means more recovery time between shots and a natural tendency to "cringe" when that big ball of fire comes out the end and your hand start stinging after a few shots...

Less sight radius makes it much more critical to have that visual patience with your front sight. A minor misalignment with the front sight turns into a miss at anything beyond bitch slap range.

Bottom line - IMO - the longer the gun the more controllable the recoil impulse and less perceived muzzle flip This makes the front sight easier to follow and leads to better and faster hits. I have never bought into the short gun means quicker movement between targets theory. I think weight may play a minor part in transition speed but the difference between 4 and 6 inches (in a gun) makes no difference to a normal shooter.... :)

I would go with either a Kimber or SA. My choice would be Kimber. The ramp in a STI Trojan 9mm/40 is not right. It can be fixed, but why bother when other guns are correct.

OTOH I see no reason for a ramped barrel in 9mm.

I have a Kimber Stainless Target II I shoot in IDPA that does well.

I have my local gun peddler negotiating with Kimber right now for one of these in .40. I'm not sure why they offer the Stainless II in .40 but not the Stainless Target II, but I'm trying to change their mind.

Lee

I have a Kimber Stainless Target II I shoot in IDPA that does well.

I have my local gun peddler negotiating with Kimber right now for one of these in .40. I'm not sure why they offer the Stainless II in .40 but not the Stainless Target II, but I'm trying to change their mind.

Lee

When Kimber first offered the .40 it came either as a Stainless Classic or a Stainless Classic Target. I shot Limited with one (with 9 round magazines) for a couple of years before USPSA had an L10 division. I had a 10MM barrel fit at one point and right now it generally wears a Marvel .22 upper.

I've been back and forth so much with my 4.25" STI 9mm that it isn't even funny. Bottom line is after trying everything else, I still come back to it. At IDPA distances, it shoots accurate enough for me so far. I am a smaller guy, and the commander length feels 100x better in my hands for balance than does a 5" Springer (which is what I started with)

Well...my mind is made up. I plunked down the cash tonight for a Kimber Tactical Pro II in 9mm. I just think the gun is too sexy! I like the combo of color and features. I may carry the gun some so the alum. frame is a plus and I don't currently have a commander size gun. I just love 1911 triggers. I have two other .45's...one is a Les Baer in hardchrome and the other is an Ed Brown Kobra Carry Stainless. The rest are 40 cal Limited guns. I will probably sell the Ed Brown, as it doesn't get much love and it just seems too pretty to beat up in competition. Thanks for all the input...it always helps to think out loud. Chuck

I love my SA 9 mm 1911... but it can only handle 9 round mags. ....so it puts me at a disadvantage to wide body guns in competition.

Any reason the 10 round mags don't work?

Also, the 9 round mags are held by many to give an advantage (albeit small) for typical COF's where an even 10 to start with affords a better timed reload (without round dumping). Also, RWR and TR are noticably easier with skinny mags (IMO). Only disadvantage I can see would be where reloads fall between round 11 and round 12, or when there are 18 VERY difficult shots and having 28 shots instead of 31 ... but maybe you should be just taking the misses anyways :)

But just shoot whatever works well for you.

Edited by kdmoore

Any reason the 10 round mags don't work?

As I understand it, it's because of the tapered case of the 9 mm.

Right.

I guess what I meant to ask was if he'd tried the 10 round mags without sucess, or if he was unaware of them? I've heard that some have sucess with them (thou I haven't tried them myself, and am happy with the idea of 9 round mags).

I have a Kimber, a SA and an STI Trojan in 9mm (don't ask, long story)

Of the three, out of the box, the Trojan was ready to rock. The other two need(ed) "tweaking" to get them to run.

Bruce

PS - SA mags with the front ramp are the way to go.

I love my SA 9 mm 1911... but it can only handle 9 round mags. ....so it puts me at a disadvantage to wide body guns in competition.

Really? I find that odd. I had no problem finding 10 round mags for my 1911 .45 and not much problem finding them for my 9mm itself is a disadvantage in anything but Open Division, but you should be able to find something that will let you be competitive in either Limited 10 or SS.

Lee