Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder Choice For 45 Acp

elenius

I am starting to reload 45 acp for my new Kimber :wub:

These are the powders I have, and I don't want to buy any more. Which one would you use? And which bullet weight? I bought 1000 of Berry's 200 gr RS FPs, but I might try other bullet weights too.

TG is the only thing on your list that I have tried.(got a pound free :D ). It is filthy. About 5.0 gr to make comfortable major with a plated 200 gr SWC. Less filthy-W231. Real clean N-320. I heard that some guys are using N-340 also but I haven't tried it.

I voted for HP-38, primarily because you didn't list Clays and WST.

IME the other powders you listed (Unique/HS-6/Titegroup/etc) to be very dirty/inconsistent when used in 45 ACP. These slower powders probably need more pressure to burn clean.

Here are the powders I've had good luck with:

WST (all bullet weights)

Clays (185's and 230's only)

231 / HP-38 (200's and 230's only)

My "bread and butter" load is 200 grain H&G68-pattern SWC over 5.1 grains WST (5.2 grains in the summer), makes around 171 PF out of my Kimber. I bump the charge a tenth up in summer because WST is slightly and inversely temperature sensitive (speed goes down as temperature goes up).

That said, I've had really good luck with Clays also. About 4.0 grains under a 230 RN if my memory serves... shoots very soft and clean.

I like WST more these days... it meters a little better and I don't need max loads to make major) so I don't use Clays much anymore.

HP-38 is almost the same as W231, and I hear many people recommend the latter, so I was thinking of trying this. HP-38 was designed for the 38 special, and this operates at similar pressures to 45 acp, so it makes sense to me that it should work well...

Just wanted to see if y'all have tried any of the others. I would prefer to have something that fills more of the case.

I use Unique for major 38 special loads, and there it burns very very clean, but that's a very high pressure load so I can see how that would make it different.

Thanks for the replies. So, anyone have a suggestion for a starting load with the HP-38 and 200 gr Berrys FP bullets? Looks like around 5gr perhaps (?)

Edited by elenius

I prefer a faster clean burning powder in 45 ACP such as WST, Clays, American Select, VV N-310. Of the powders you mention the only one I would use would be W-231 (HP-38) but I would prefer the choices previously mentioned.

Edited by TonyT

Buy another pound of powder, specifically buy a pound of Clays. The choices you have are less than ideal to put it nicely with 200 grain bullets. $15 gets you about 1500 major power factor loads.

HP 38 will work, but it will be really dirty and push a lot harder in recoil than you need it to.

Buy another pound of powder, specifically buy a pound of Clays. The choices you have are less than ideal to put it nicely with 200 grain bullets. $15 gets you about 1500 major power factor loads.

HP 38 will work, but it will be really dirty and push a lot harder in recoil than you need it to.

Hmm, Clays is faster burning than HP38 though. I guess there is some physics here that I don't understand. I thought a slower burning powder would be "softer". :huh:

Hmm, Clays is faster burning than HP38 though. I guess there is some physics here that I don't understand. I thought a slower burning powder would be "softer". :huh:

Rob Leatham explains the heavy bullet / fast powder thing

If what you listed are the only choices, I'd probably choose Titegroup. For less than $15 most places you can buy a can of Clays though. ;)

I never worry about what powder I have on hand. The decision to use a powder is based on what I want the gun to do. Do I want it to shoot soft or do I want it to be accurate. Sometimes you can be lucky and get both. For pistols I probably have 10-12 powders to choose from. I am working on a Production load using 3 different bullets and 4 different powders. For the .45 I have used 5 different bullets & 6 different powders to get the feel & accuracy that I want. Now I have to start over for the 625 I bought because I didn't have a .45 revolver.

Hey! People! You're not following the rules! ;)

I get it, I'll get some Clays later, but for now I have SO much powder, I have to use some of it up B)

We believe in freestyle (rules are for other people to read). Do yourself a favor & get some large metal ammo cans & put your spare powder in that & get some Clays!