Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Electronic Hearing Protection Question

ATMester

I did search thru the topics on it but I did not find the answer...

WHY do you Guys wear-prefer electronic ear muffs over the plain muffs-plugs???

Other then you don't have to take them off to listen to a conversation etc. I can't imagine the reason why I should blow money for it.

I just use plugs and if I feel like, I put on the muffs too...

Harbor Freight's electronic muffs have a decent price if somebody can convict me.

I used them on Active Duty and got comfortable with them. Like Merlin, my hearing is shot after 20+ years in the Army...my wife will sometimes get them and throw them at me telling me to put them on, she's tired of talking to the wall! <_<

I like the ability to talk without raising my voice, which most people tend to naturally do with just straight ear plugs, so they can hear themself speak and I like being able to clearly hear the RO, his commands and the timer.

One of those one time expenses that was well worth it for me.

Edited by CDRODA396

It is much much easier for me to hear the range commands and some of the low powered timer beeps were just about impossible to hear if another bay near me was shooting. I bought a pair of Pro-Ears and am completely satisfied with them. The upside is I can actually carry a conversation with fellow shooters too, beats the hell out of nodding and smiling not knowing what they are talking about.

Cheap electronic muffs aren't the same, you should try a good pair before getting the cheap ones.

I wear plugs underneath them also for added protection of what hearing I have left.

I wear plugs underneath them also for added protection of what hearing I have left.

Same here.

My AR barks very loud and I double plug with foam as well as a headset. With that combination I can't hear anything but my breathing. The electronic ones allow me to hear conversations, range commands and the beep.

Like everyone else said being able to hear range commands when you’re shooting a match and just being able to hear in general. When I lived in Phoenix my buddies and I would always go shooting in the desert. Being able to hear what was around you prevented surprises and accident from other groups in the desert, particularly people on motorcycle and quads running up on your group.

Pretty much what everyone else said, plus you can hear the steel "ping" when it has been hit if you are using the Pro-Ears or comparable muffs. That helps identify the hit, for those that care about that. Might also help if the RO is trying to stop you or issue warning etc.

Like everyone else has mentioned, it is nice to have normal hearing and speech while shooting and not being deaf. There is also the added advantage of being able to hear all the nasty cracks people behind you are making about you when they think you can't hear them. :unsure:

If I'm at a match and want to go shoot by myself I pull out the old non-electronic muffs and only have to listen to the voices in my head. :)

I have recently been double plugging and using non-electric muff or just turning the electric ones off. I still hear the timer and RO fine, don't need to hear the comments from the peanut gallery and don't shoot by the sound the target makes. The quieter the better IMHO. :)

Electronic hearing protection makes it much easier to hear a squib or soft load which might cause a catastrophy if not noticed. Working as an RO at a steel challenge match, I heard the primer and very small amount of powder make a "pssssst" sound and immediately stopped the shooter. I wear ESP digital custom molded ear plugs, and they allow me to hear every moving part in the gun when you rack the slide. Everything sounds pretty much the same as it would without hearing protection.

LJE

Wearing non electronics you're also more likely to damage your hearing at the range. Normally when folks are wearing regular muffs I'll see them pull them off a lot more to talk to their friends etc. When they do and the shots are being fired damage occurs. The electronics allow me to hear and communicate without pulling them off my head.

Same here.

My AR barks very loud and I double plug with foam as well as a headset. With that combination I can't hear anything but my breathing. The electronic ones allow me to hear conversations, range commands and the beep.

My electronics allow me to do the same thing. I can keep my level of protection high and still hear simple conversations.

I use the Electronics from Dillon. They work Great. As has been said here before, they allow you to hear what is going on around you without having to worry about getting your eardrums busted because a shot goes off. And if you don't want to hear what is going on as well, turn them off. I recommend electronic muffs.

Electronic hearing protection makes it much easier to hear a squib or soft load which might cause a catastrophy if not noticed. Working as an RO at a steel challenge match, I heard the primer and very small amount of powder make a "pssssst" sound and immediately stopped the shooter. I wear ESP digital custom molded ear plugs, and they allow me to hear every moving part in the gun when you rack the slide. Everything sounds pretty much the same as it would without hearing protection.

LJE

Since I seem to get selected to be the squad RO I want to be able to hear that squib load & I have heard several including my own. When it happened I stopped & yelled squib & the RO looked at me funny like why did you stop.

When I practice I hook the timer on a pants pocket & without the electronic muffs I would never hear the buzzer. I use Dillion's & have a Pletor for backup.

Of the high quality electronic muffs on the market, which ones seem to be the lightest and most pleasent to wear in 110*+ Texas heat?? Next question...Where is the best place to buy said muffs??

Dillons work ok. I found the plastic ear pads cracked within a year, though I have no idea if that's heat related. I'm trying a set of Pro Ears Predator Plus that seem better in that regard, but have only had 'em 6 months so far.

Things to avoid-- padded (insulating) head bands & black head bands. (Note that most all vendors have one or the other of these)

If it's really hot, plugs are better cool-wise, but shooting Open, I keep the muffs on.

Stay away from plugs if at all possible!!!! In the early days of hearing aids they were made to fit against the bone behind the ear then amplified and fed into the ear canal. To see why this works tap on your cheek & listen for sound. Now tap on the bone behind your ear & you will hear every tap. Ear plugs are better than nothing but just barely. Next trip to an airport see which ground handlers are wearing ear plugs and which are wearing muffs.