Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking For .223 Production Ammo

firematt100

Looking for production .223 ammo.

I orded a JP15 tactical 18" with BC Comp.

Any sugestions?

My CTR will shoot Federal 50g HP's (AE223G) to way under MOA all day long....

Local Sportsman's Warehouse carries it for $6 a box, 10% off of lots of 10 or more. So, should be able to find it cheaper online/in bulk.

In a pinch, Walmart sells Remington UMC 55-grain ammo for under $6 a box and its accurate enough for most 3-gun needs.

That said, I am on the verge of beginning to reload .223 for cost/availability reasons.

all barrels have their own taste. i've shot stuff with buddies rifles using the same ammo and it's all over the map. try a bunch b4 you settle on one. but i reload 55's for 100 yds or less. then it's AE 55's out to 200. after that, ultramax NBT's. again, u have to test them all to find the one yer blaster likes.

I have yet to see a rifle that was half way decent not shoot under an inch with Black Hills(Blue or Red Box). It may be a little more money but it is the best, most accurate medium production level ammo available. If you shop around you can find it for under 300/k delivered to your doorstep, plus it comes in those 50 round boxes that just make more sense than the 20 round boxes that most everyone else uses.

Edited by scirocco38s

The Black Hills I have tried (55gr & 69gr recipes) was good stuff in my rifles. IMO, the best choice for a premium round that oughta' shoot MOA in guns capable of it is the Federal match grade stuff. The SMK69 topped stuff has proven out well for me when I have had to resort to factory fodder for matches. I normally roll my own though.

I have at least 2 barrels that absolutely detest Black Hills anyting, red or blue. I am not saying it bad ammo...far from it, but it really does point out that you need to find out what your barrel likes, if it is a J.P. barrel I think you will find it likes A LOT more than it dislikes!

J.P. 20 mid weight w/ Black Hills 68gr match load 8" @ 200 yds (good handload w/ Hornaday 68 match, 3/4" at 200, 5 round group)

Hart 28" heavy barrel, sleaved action rifle, 175gr 308 Win. red box 2 1/2 -3" @ 200 yds ( good reload w/ 175 SMK = 3/8"-1/2" 5 round groups)

I have been using Monarch ammo from Academy sporting goods. It is around $3.99 per box and has brass cases. It was not super accurate at 100 yards in my rifle (2"), but it works great for closer hoser stages. I buy a few boxes of good ammo like Black hills or Federal with 69gr. bullets if the stage has long shots like the Ft. Smith Arkansas match with the 200 yard steel plates.

I have been using Monarch ammo from Academy sporting goods. It is around $3.99 per box and has brass cases. It was not super accurate at 100 yards in my rifle (2"), but it works great for closer hoser stages. I buy a few boxes of good ammo like Black hills or Federal with 69gr. bullets if the stage has long shots like the Ft. Smith Arkansas match with the 200 yard steel plates.

I have at least 2 barrels that absolutely detest Black Hills anyting, red or blue. I am not saying it bad ammo...far from it, but it really does point out that you need to find out what your barrel likes, if it is a J.P. barrel I think you will find it likes A LOT more than it dislikes!

J.P. 20 mid weight w/ Black Hills 68gr match load 8" @ 200 yds (good handload w/ Hornaday 68 match, 3/4" at 200, 5 round group)

Hart 28" heavy barrel, sleaved action rifle, 175gr 308 Win. red box 2 1/2 -3" @ 200 yds ( good reload w/ 175 SMK = 3/8"-1/2" 5 round groups)

I have a couple AR's that are exactly the same with Black Hills. I shot it, went and checked the targets...and didn't even bother to measure---looked like I shot it drunk. Shot it in a 3rd upper and WOW, it was awesome.

Buy a little of several types and try. Good luck.

Blackhills is hit or miss in my rifles, depending on the lot, so if you find a lot that works well, buy as much as you can from that same lot. One main reason I started reloading after the first 3-gun season :P

Ultramax stuff is pretty decent if you want reasonable match ammo.

Edited by PacMan