Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun Shows Rules Are Hurting Our Cause.

Leadfoot Anny

yesterday me and my family went to a gun show in Ohio. We got to the door, there was a sign that said no loaded firearms, regardless of permits, license, all firearms must be unloaded and tagged. WHAT????????? How do we get other business owners to respect CCW holders when we can't even get the gun shows to respect us as law abiding citizens. Is this a good message to be sending?

Despite such signs, the local gun show circuit used to have an AD every few months.. too much opportunity to un-conceal a concealed gun there without penalty. Now they switched to a TX legal sign and have bumped up the "you must comply" language, though I haven't heard if it's helped or not.

The usual thought is if you've got a spyderco and a spare magazine, it's not long before you could shoot back anyway (me, I'm becoming one with the safe display, should anything go down at a gun show..)

AD at the gun shows strike fear in the heart of whoever puts it on. Building owners and insurance companies get upset about that sort of thing.

The Houston Gun Collectors at one time, it may have changed, would not even allow ammunition at their 1500 + table shows.

Edited by CenTX

i see the signs and then think hmmm this is not covered anywhere in the RCW so I can carry here. now if they see your concealed firearm be ready for some problems. I have been to many a gun shows, and never once have I heard an AD nor do I hope to. KNOCK ON WOOD.

I was at a show a few years back and saw an AD. But there was no A to the D. This guy came through the door, had his pistol inspected, walked 15 feet inside the show, put a loaded mag in the gun, racked the slide and put one through the roof. I honestly believe that he was making a political statement. Nobody could be that stupid. Needless to say, he was grabbed up by security and turned over to the local police.

Many of the gun clubs have the same rule. No concealed carry on the property. I asked why at a board meeting. I was told that there had to be a line drawn, and that was where they did it.

Our club doesn't have a no concealed carry rule, However, the rules of our organization, under which we play, will send you packing (no pun intended) if you come to the line with a loaded (or unloaded) gun printing in your back pocket.

As for the gunshows. I can't recall ever going to one that allowed a loaded handgun through the door. Here in the Port City of Mobile, the police sit at a table, check your gun for unloaded, and put a ty-wrap through the action. I don't know if it is local regulations, or custom but I never gave it much thought, and still don't.

FWIW

dj

Every gun show I've ever been to here in Eugene requires no-loaded-guns into the building and the plastic tie IS applied to any firearm carried loose into the show area. Most of our local shows take place at the county fairgrounds convention halls or the National Guard Armory building (different location than the fairgrounds).

My Ex-Wife runs the largest gun show company in Florida. The NO Loaded Firearms is for insurance purposes and the host location.

She has lots of stories about AD's, and NONE of them are good. Most happen near her as she is up front near the entrance where the AD's normally happen.

It is a GOOD rule, please obey it!!!

I was at a huge gun show at the Houston Astrodome with a friend a few years ago.

With over 2,000 tables and probably 10,000 + people in the building.. someone managed to fire about a 8 round full auto burst of .223 right through the ceiling.

Man there were a lot of people on the deck.... and also a lot of pistols drawn. It could have got real ugly.

Edited by MichiganShootist

MOST exhibitors IGNORE the rule.

I personally have ignored it on occassion ;), as if there is shootin', I prefer to be armed. A gun show parking lot is a GREAT place to rob someone, because, they most likely have cash on them, and they are most likely NOT armed as they are going to comply with the rule of no loaded guns.

Make your own choice, I bet you can NOW guess what choice I make ;)

For those that would carry concealed, and LEAVE it concealed, the rule doesn't make much sense.

HOWEVER; for those knuckleheads carrying concealed (or just loaded) that choose to pull their gun out and "show it off", or try on holsters, look at grips, etc..... just think of all those loaded guns being unholstered, pointed around, being handed to other people that don't know they are loaded.... the disaster factor is quite high.

I saw this take place a few years ago at the Mesquite, TX Big Town gunshow..... some idiot handed a loaded small automatic to a dealer to look at it, the dealer pulled the trigger - BANG. Luckily no one was hurt (ALWAYS check a firearm is unloaded when you pick it up! :blink: ).

I agree with the no loaded guns in a gunshow rule, insurance aside, as I think of it like being at a cold range..... guns are being handled, can you take the chance that they are all unloaded? I for one don't want to be shot by an AD. Lets face it, a majority of the people that frequent gunshows don't have the same gun discipline that people on this forum probably have.

In fact, alot of gunshops I've been in have the same rule posted, for the same reasons.

In Georgia, there is a restriction on Conceled Carry, that does not allow carrying at "Public Gatherings". For the purpose of this code section, those Public Gatherings are defined as, but not limited to athletic or sporting events (gun matches are exempted later in the code), and a bunch of others.

When I inquired why a gun show was off-limits for CC the nice policeman at the door said it qualifies as a Public Gathering. I shook my head, smiled, paid my money and went on in with a concealed and loaded .45 on my hip. I had already told the first cop I wasn't carrying, so I would have felt very stupid if I had stopped and gone back to the car at that point. I just made a point of not bumping into anyone.

About an hour later a 14 year old boy took a round of .38 Special in his left eye from about 2' away. One of the "unloaded" guns at the show snuffed out his life way too early. I was standing nearby and after ensuring my brother and other friend I went with were OK, I sat down on a vendor's table to watch the whole sad episode unfold.

**If I were King for a Day, no one would have been allowed to exit that building without passing by for a good, hard look at what poor gunhandling skills and "unloaded guns" can buy you.

After reading all of the post I'm the one that feels like the moron. I have been to many gun shows in the past 12 years or so, I've seen robberies, gun theft from venders, but never THANK GOD an AD or anyone shot. These are all very good reason for not allowing loaded guns at gun shows.

After reading all of the post I'm the one that feels like the moron. I have been to many gun shows in the past 12 years or so, I've seen robberies, gun theft from venders, but never THANK GOD an AD or anyone shot. These are all very good reason for not allowing loaded guns at gun shows.

Don't sweat it, most of us act like morons