Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When the “program” develops a glitch…….

First we inspect the stage.  We verify the round count and target placements.

Then, we program.  We program where to place our feet to get a better position into box “B”, we calculate the amount of rounds required before a mag change is needed, and we pick the perfect spot to do it.  We thoroughly “program” every sequence to the last shot.

Shooter ready……Stand-by……BEEEEEEP!

Now’s when the fun starts.

Many things can happen to screw up your “program”.  If you take too many shots at that first plate, it’ll screw-up your round counting and force you to change mags at a less desirable time.  Your mag could fall out after the first shot or you could miss a disappearing turner because of a jam at the absolute worst time.

Things are going to shiet

real quick!

How do you handle a glitch in the “program”?

Do you:

A) Consciously account for all the seconds you’ve wasted, realize that you’ve just crashed the stage and think the only possible way out of this mess is to summon the super-hoser within yourself so you can make up for this lost time (then hear the RO call “mike” more than you care to hear)?

B) Take things in stride, address the glitch and “splice” back into the original program.

C)  Have the creativity and improvisational skills to create a new program that makes the best of the situation.  

D) None of the above.

Currently, I use method “A”.  

…...and trust me, it ain’t working!

I want a new drug! -Hughy Lewis

(Edited by TDean at 3:23 pm on June 13, 2002)

I've been using A for way too long also.  Reviewing some video I can see HUGE changes in my body language after a malf, especially on multi string stages, CQStds comes to mind.

I'm looking more for the "solve the problem and splice back into my original shot plan."

I only get there rarely, as I put a LOT of pressure on myself to perform.  I think that comes from a severely limited match schedule, so each one becomes a huge deal.  "If I only get to shoot one a month, then it better be a good one." would sum up my attitude.  As a result, the inevitable glitches have too big an impact on the rest of my day.

When you find the answer, please let us know!

Tom

Method B is definately the way to go, although sometimes Method C will surface on it's own and surprise the hell out of you!  

Generally I visualize/program what I'm going to do before I step into the starting position.  Then I forget about it, just completely stop thinking about the stage.  Joke with the RO, scratch, belch, what ever it takes.  Personally I have a mantra (only positives, never ever include 'don't' in your mantra!)  At the beep I just go with the sights and shoot what I see.  If problems occur that put me out of sync with the stage, I correct the problem such as reload at the earliest possible time and then get back into sync with the stage as programmed even if it means another reload in 6 rounds.  My biggest problem remains slowing down just a fraction after the problem (by slowing down I'm probably back at my original pace not the hyper-active pace I'm trying to make up for the problem.)

Of course depending on the match there is also Method D.  Which is to unload every mag left into the last target array including no shoots at warp speed!  Of course the brassers and tapers will hate you.  If the blown stage cost you the match don't do it in anger, just do it for the fun of it!  It's amazing how much better you'll feel.

At my last match I had glitches on two stages

My response on the first one was basically method A.  Start trying to "go fast" and miss all over the place.  I ended up needing a mag change as a result and I generally sucked.

The second glitch resulted in a BSOD (Bad Shooter Of Death).  At LAMR I failed to notice that my mag wasn't seated.  Since I had not used a top off mag this also meant that I had an empty chamber!  After diagnosing and fixing both problem I proceeded to put two hits onto several targets that only required one.  Suddenly a stage that most in my class did in 11 or 12 seconds takes me 18 seconds.  

At least my only "equipment failure" was between my ears and hopefully I can learn from this.

-jhgtyre

B

When you try A you miss and no speed will make up for misses and extra time. Remember the match is about performance over many rounds not only the screwup stage.

Although I won a match last year with 11 penalties. Boy was I fast and lucky every one else was stiff from winter

Many of the big names teach that as soon as something goes wrong, switch into 'survival mode', which means do what it takes to shoot all A's for the rest of the stage.  After all your time is already hosed, why lose points too?

Listened to an interesting tape on visualization and why it does not work.  While people can visualize the end result, they usually don't visualize how to get there - when something goes wrong or not according to plan.

The best visualizers can be those who have failed before because they develop a database of alternatives to turn to.  if you are too successful too soon, your repetoire is not as complete as those who have more to draw on.

For what its worth.... :)

Cultivate the mind that "notices."

An ancient Zen meditation instruction goes something like this: Don't fear the arising of thoughts, just fear being slow to notice (the arising of thoughts). This directly applies to - "when it turns to crap." When we start missing, how long does it take until we notice that we are not paying attention (to where the sights are aligned, for example)? Then, once we return to paying attention, the question of "what to do" no longer matters, because the simple act of paying attention will guide our actions, and we'll respond appropriately according to our level of training at that moment. So, cultivating a noticing mind will, 1) Keep us present;  2) will return us to the present, quicker; 3) ensure things get done properly, at each moment. If you're paying attention to what is happening, there's no other options you need consider.

But of course sometimes it's fun to just "roll the dice." Usually, we at least always learn something.

be

Shred, thats pretty much it. You have to do what it takes to survive. You can´t catch up by going faster. Heck if you could go faster, you should have been shooting that speed in the first place.

Benos, huh?

hehe

Matt's bringing this thread back up got me rereading BE's "noticing" post again, which reminded me of something that happened at a local match..

So I've just started shooting this 30+ round mega stage with my big-stick mag installed when I notice (see?) a sudden cascade of shiny-brassy-stuff heading for my feet. Without even thinking much, I reload and keep on going. I'm pretty sure I didn't even think "the basepad came off".. until later after I was done..

It was a bit wierd, I can still recall the impression of the ammo cascade, but no recollection of actually "thinking" about it or what to do, even though that's the first time it's ever happened to me.

(Edited by shred at 2:10 pm on June 21, 2002)

After re-reading the first 30 or so pages of Brian's book, I have this to say (which may mean nothing)...

All boxers have a plan...until they get punched.

If you can get to the state of mind that benos talks about in the beginning of his book...you will be fine.

Stick and move, baby!

Matt,

Yea, Shred said it. Just shoot points and survive the stage. Which is what you/we should've been doing in the first place.

If you got it you don't need it, and if you ain't got it you (obviously) don't know how to git it. Is that about right?!

:)