Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bolen Base Pads

slusher

I havent been a member of the E-Leet S_I group for long, so have to ask, should I expect to have to replace my Grams base pads often enough to justify the $44.95 sticker price x four mags? They look nice for sure, but I kinda like the look of my Grams. Not that the Grams are cheap, but when I got'em, they appeared fairly durable and I figured they were like the energizer bunny and would last and last and last...just curious.

Edited by CDRODA396

+3 per the description?

The Grams give me a Limited legal and reloadable +4 or +5 in .40.

I'm confused, the Grams follower is +1 and the Grams 4mm basepads add +2. The S_I 140mm mag holds 17 so where are you getting +4 and +5 from?

If the Bolen basepads are +3 and adding a Grams follower and spring gets another +1 then these basepads will be the bomb at 21 rounds.

The +3 pad was initially designed for the first gneration of STI 40 caliber tubes which required a 13mm pad to extend them to 141.25mm. On those mag bodies you should be able to get 21 rounds and stay with in the guage.

The +3 pad will work with your 140mm open mags and should allow you to get one more round or load more easily to the magazine when it is topped off. The developer is working on a pad to make the 40 caliber, current production, 140mm magazine max out the guage at 141.25mm. This should be out in a few weeks. He is also looking at producing the basepad in stainless steel to give it added weight and additional durability.

+3 per the description?

The Grams give me a Limited legal and reloadable +4 or +5 in .40.

I'm confused, the Grams follower is +1 and the Grams 4mm basepads add +2. The S_I 140mm mag holds 17 so where are you getting +4 and +5 from?

If the Bolen basepads are +3 and adding a Grams follower and spring gets another +1 then these basepads will be the bomb at 21 rounds.

Sorry, I should have been clearer:

P16 tube with a Grams follower and spring, plus the basepad to take it to the Limited max of 140mm, gets me 21 rounds.

The Bolens pad looks small to me, +3 I thought meant 16 + 3 = 19. So I was thinking not better than the Grams.

So, with the right follower/spring, you can get 21? Then no diff. My bad.

Kevin C.

should I expect to have to replace my Grams base pads often enough to justify the $44.95 sticker price x four mags?

Grams has a great warranty. Call him if you have any that break. I practice in an indoor range with a concrete floor and I haven't had one crack yet. I can't see the extra 10 bucks being worth it. It's nice to see someone trying to build a better mousetrap, I'd just like to see the price a little more in line with what is currently available.

I can't see the extra 10 bucks being worth it

If these pads and a Grams spring and follower hold 21 rounds in the magazine, they'll sell really well. If they only hold 20 rounds, I don't see much market for them.

Edited by ihatepickles

• 8 months later...
Has anyone tried them yet?

Probably not the best testimony, but I ordered one and tried it. Put it on, tried to take it off...and uh oh, wtf? The way it is designed, I played [@#%$] getting it off. The spring goes down into the pad well beyond the bottom of the tube and when you go to remove the base, you depress the plunger and as you slide it off, the spring limits movement to just a few mm before dead stop. And since you cant easily depress the bottom of the spring, what now? :( Now I have been accused of being less than a genious in public forums and accept it, so it might have just been me. Either way, taking it off was such a struggle without messing up the spring I sent it back without even loading a mag up to check capacity.

• 11 months later...

I have one basepad and have been using it with grams internals and an SV tube. It is a pain to remove but not prohibitively so. I just depress the plunger, slowly capture a coil and walk through the rest with my finger until I have all of them captured and then slide the base off.

The plunger that is spring loaded is the OLD pad, hasn't been made for over a year. The new pads have a slip type plunger and come off and on easily. The lips on the bottom of the mags need to be set up right, or it can be a pain to take them on and off.

SV 170 tubes vary enough that the only way to select the right pad is to put the pad on and put the mag in a gauge, it doesn't matter what brand pad either.

SV 170 tubes vary enough that the only way to select the right pad is to put the pad on and put the mag in a gauge, it doesn't matter what brand pad either.

Trial and error. That's how I did it. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone accidently knock the silver pin out of the mag pad? <_< Any suggestions on how to get it back in? I didn't want to force it. The capture spring in the base looks like it uses an allen wrench but I tried both a 1/20" and a 1.5mm and they spin. The next size up is to big. There is just a little square edge visible through the hole and I can't depress it while getting the pin in...or maybe I could but I'm not sure if it's plastic or metal and didn't want to muscle it.

ETA: Got it back in....I had to feed the pin through the bottom and then use a small screw driver from the top of the hole to depress the side spring - while applying slight pressure and repeating incantations....well, okay I may have actually been cursing but my hubby thought it sounded like a mantra.

Edited by carinab

There should be a little rubber plug in between the pin and the setscrew. The rubber plug sets tension on the pin. The only way I have found to get the pin all the way through is to push it all the way through or have it land on something small enough to fit through the hole which is almost impossible. Keep enough tension on the pin to hold it but still move with finger pressure, don't use tools to push the pin, and you won't have any issues.

Carina, the setscrew is inch, not metric.