Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dpms Or Bushmaster

texaschase

Trapr,

Yeah. I figured it'd be the case. Busted (although I have no clue what it means to be "tagged"....is this a Texas thing? <_< ).

Buy a DPMS or a Bushmaster. It's just a receiver. You're going to probably end up like the rest of us and swap out every single part on the damn thing anyways, so it comes down to a non-moving piece of 7075 aluminum.

Rich

ETA: Thanks Mike for bustin' me out early. First beer's on me at Casa de Pinto if I can make it to Nat.'s.

Edited by uscbigdawg

Two reasons why people (on AR15.com) are anti-Bushmaster:

1) They are infamous for building guns and uppers with canted front sight bases.

2) They are infamous for telling the customer that as long as the rear sight has enough windage to zero, they won't fix it.

What's worse for them is I read somebody had a canted FSB on his DPMS and they apologized for it and fixed it.

BTW, I own a BM upper with a canted FSB.

Got a link for the canted FSB threads? I would be interested in reading about that. I just did a quick search on ARFCOM and the few threads I read seemed to be the majority of members in favor of the BM over DPMS. Here are the first two that came up in my search.

http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=306419

http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=306446

Actually I was thinking it was Armalite that was having the canted FSB problems though I imagine they have all had a few sneak pass the QC from time to time.

I remember reading that BM had that problem. Don't know how it is now.

This was waaaayy back when the Kalifornia ban and the year 2000 scare was going on.

The threads may have been purged. You might just want to post and see if the folks there remember the problem.

IIRC the barrels weren't torqued or installed correctly which resulted in having to set the windage with the rear sights towards an extreme.

The threads may have been purged. You might just want to post and see if the folks there remember the problem.

Oh don't worry. It'll come up there along with the weekly Stag vs. DPMS vs. Armalite vs. Bushmaster vs. Ameetec vs. Sabre vs. CMMG vs. LMT vs. JTS vs. Sun Devil discussions. You can usually find it next to the discussions on 5.56 vs. 223 Wylde vs. 223 vs. 50 Beowulf vs. 6.8 vs. 6.5 vs. 300. Located near the discussion on which VFG is better and which piston upper is better and the pics of emaculate rifles and how they put a box of ammo through it this year. Oh almost forgot how 1 MOA accuracy is about the limits of the rifle. Did I miss anything?

Rich

MR. Bigdawg..........technically a BUSHMASTER is a pit viper, sooooooooooooooooo

REMEMBER

As Always

yer ronge

p.s. have your Gay-Dar checked cuz you jus bin,...........tagged :lol:

was that OK mr. pinto?????

trapr

Trapr,

He shoots, he scores..

Mr. Rich,

What do you know anyway? You shoot a 16", which as everyone knows can't hold a 200 yard group. ;)

And as always,....

Yuer Ronge!! :D :D :P

[/hijack]

Oh don't worry. It'll come up there along with the weekly Stag vs. DPMS vs. Armalite vs. Bushmaster vs. Ameetec vs. Sabre vs. CMMG vs. LMT vs. JTS vs. Sun Devil discussions. You can usually find it next to the discussions on 5.56 vs. 223 Wylde vs. 223 vs. 50 Beowulf vs. 6.8 vs. 6.5 vs. 300. Located near the discussion on which VFG is better and which piston upper is better and the pics of emaculate rifles and how they put a box of ammo through it this year. Oh almost forgot how 1 MOA accuracy is about the limits of the rifle. Did I miss anything?

Rich

color...you forgot color....

color...you forgot color....

Yeah I forgot the 15 posts on "How do I camo paint my AR?" or "Who does engraving on lowers?".

Mike, what can I say. We shoot inferior rifles that can't hold groups, that are all hacked together by people that don't have "tactical" in their names with doo-hicky's that since they're not "mil-spec" can't possibly be worthwhile or durable.

Guess we're just screwed for life at that point.

Your 'Cousin of the Carbine',

Rich

Glad you came out and admitted it, now I can. No VFG's on any of mine, lights either for that matter. Thought I was commiting a cardinal sin in the worship of the black rifle with no gadgets. Thank you for allowing me to be free and "come out of the closet" if you will.

Tried a VFG for about a year, just won't work for me. :huh: Seems like I can get my hand off a regular free floater for a mag change faster. YMMV.

I'd have to say Bushmaster.

My function perfectly, look good and do anything I want them to do.

I was surprised that with my handloads any of them will shoot under 2.625" groups at 300 yards (even the 16"). I wasn't expecting that kind of accuracy at all when I bought my first one.

My Dad saw how accurate mine were compared to his pitiful mini-30 and bought a Bushmaster the next day.

I can't comment on customer service since I've never needed it, but I will say those frankenmags were pretty cheesy. Lucky I just tossed them in a box somewhere.

It would be nice if they supported the sport, but it must not make business sense to them. We're a small group to begin with, and our 3-gun shooters are just a fraction of our total membership.

I hate to jump into the bashing. But question was what AR brand?

I would put Armalite, Rock River, Stag, in the top tier of production guns. Baer, Wilson, JP are more custom guns. DPMS, Bushmaster in average class. Not saying they are bad, just not as good.

Ar's are just so easy to build, compared to a 1911 or working on S&W Revolver. Far less tools and Jigs, less part fitting. Buy Derick Martin books from Accuracy speaks is great place to start. He does a good job of explaining operation. Also Feamster book tells good story of starting with production gun working your way up to a custom built gun.

Maybe I was lucky but all my ar's that I built just worked the first time out. My 1911's take a little more tweaking.

Only problem I has was with a Colt lower that had holes for trigger cocked and fitting that JP trigger was like fitting a trigger on 1911 with cocked holes. Slow and painful

Mike,

Got a rail on mine. Free-floater too. Pretty sweet system, but it's only on there to test for a friend. I'm even mounting a light to it for the pictures. Color coordinated tan even! :ph34r:

That said, it's probably going to stay this way except for a longer rail we're going to try.

Tacti-cool baby all the way!!! :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Rich

Well......an apple is an apple is an apple.

Lets talk parts......there are only about 3 companies in the US that makes the forgings for the AR15/M16 weapon. A handful of companies that do the actual machining.

Bolts and Carriers.....a few more.

Internals.....about the same.

Discounting custom AR companies....it really is going to boil down to barrel accuracy (or if you want chrome lined or not) and fit and finish, which can be fact or opinion on how good that is.

That all being said......I've dealt with 100's of AR's from various companies and they all have their little quirks. SOOOOOO for me it all boils down to a few things

1. Accuracy

2. Reliability (although, I dick around with these things, so I make them more reliable anyways)

3. Customer Service

4. Do they support our sport (USPSA and/or 3gun)

I have to say......for my money, its gonna be DPMS hands down, they typically have the stuff I need when i need it. The barrels have been very accurate for me. And, well.....DPMS does support our sport extensively.

The quality for DPMS is great, improved drastically from years ago and still climbing!!

If you take the opinions out of the equation, an apple is an apple is an apple.

I'm with Tim on this deal. DPMS has the stuff when you need it. Customer service is great. Quality of the latest ones I have won was OUTSTANDING, and they really support the shooting sports, not just ours! I have a couple of thier barrel I have turned and hacked on and they are 1/2 minute barrles. Now I know this might suprise a few of you, but I would most definitly say DPMS. KURTM