Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dpms Or Bushmaster

texaschase

I'm a bit of a newbie and am about to buy my first AR - either a classic 20" A2 or 16" M4 A3. I want both so I figure whichever one I get, I'll just save up and the buy the other upper in the future. Anyway, my question is, if you had to choose between DPMS or Bushmaster, which would you choose? I've shot a Bushmaster before which I liked but the DPMS seem a little less expensive - granted, not by much, but a little goes a long way when you're young and married with a 2 yr old. I've got to stretch my money as far as it will go basically. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

I'm a bit of a newbie and am about to buy my first AR - either a classic 20" A2 or 16" M4 A3. I want both so I figure whichever one I get, I'll just save up and the buy the other upper in the future. Anyway, my question is, if you had to choose between DPMS or Bushmaster, which would you choose? I've shot a Bushmaster before which I liked but the DPMS seem a little less expensive - granted, not by much, but a little goes a long way when you're young and married with a 2 yr old. I've got to stretch my money as far as it will go basically. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Given those two options, definately DPMS!!!!!!!, DPMS does far more to support, sponsor and encourage our shooting sport than Bushmaster, they have even helped sponsor pistol only matches in which their product wasn't used but knew that it is all the same crowd.

Support the Sponsors that support the game, or they will cease to exist and help us

jc

DPMS.

Both build good stuff, and I own rather more than a few of both, but DPMS gets the nod because:

1. They build a quality product

2. They support matches (including the ones I was involved with) when asked

3. Their staff is always friendly to chat with at SHOT. Bushmaster's guys are touchy (although in their defense, it was pretty cruel to sic Fred and I on the same grouchy "designer" within half an hour of each other, pointing out the same flaws in the same new gun and recommending virtually identical changes to opitimize the particular piece of sporting equipment, without prior coordination ;) ).

Alex

I like DPMS for the above mentioned reasons. They support our sport, and from what I have heard they put on a hell of a match. You can call DPMS and tell them what you want and they will build it for you exactly like you want it for a very reasonable price.

I've never owned a DPMS so I can't comment on them but will say I really like my Bushmaster 16". Never had to use their Customer Service so I can't comment there either.

I don't think you would go wrong either way.

Zack

I recommend a 20" for the first AR. The 16's can be a little finicky and accuracy is hard to come by past 300 yards or so. There is so much you can do, little by little if you start with a good platform like the DPMS. The A2 set-up is perfectly fine for 3-gun and for any other rec shooting you might do. Keep your eyes peeled for a used one too. I know alot of folks that had to have an AR then after 200 or so rounds the first day, it sat in the safe until they sold it. I saw a DPMS 20" almost brand new the other day in a store for $599. Went back yesterday and it was gone. Just keep that in mind as well. Hope that helps..

Mike

but act like that they don't poop doesn't stink.

Rich

Care to enlighten me on what this is suppose to mean?

I've never dealt with their customer service nor had any direct contact with Bushmaster but everyone I know who has has had nothing but good to say about them.

Zack

Not going to hijack the thread.

[Thread drift on]

We'll just say that they don't tend to be the most pleasant people to work with on any level, don't support our sport(s) and (heartily) don't want to. They want government contracts and don't care about shooters. So, they will NEVER see any of my money or money from people that I care about or don't want to see dollars wasted.

Their product is no better than ANYTHING that's out on the market. I question how much they actually produce vs. assemble/distribute but that's a whole other topic.

[Thread drift off]

DPMS seemingly without limits supports USPSA and IMGA 3-Gun and as benelli2 stated PISTOL matches!!! That's incredible. It's this effort and support that we have to nurture and cultivate or else why should these manufacturers do anything.

Rich

I wish Bushmaster was involved in the our sport as much as anybody does but I think it's kind of ridiculas (almost childish) to "badmouth" any company who is not involved in whatever event your participating in. Hell, if I or my family quit buying from every Tom, Dick and Harry that doesn't support our sport then we wouldn't have much to chose from. I don't blame Bushmaster at all for trying to get Military contracts. No brainer... More money.

I understand exactly what your saying and would prefer to do business with those that help us but sometimes thats not possible but you won't here me badmouthing them because they do not at this time.

Zack

Now, I'm certainly not trying to stir the pot. But...

Roughly 10 years ago, when I was shooting a lot of NRA Highpower Rifle events, Bushmaster was the best option. They used the milspec small holes which made awesome triggers available to the masses. Colt was very proud of their goods and the pin holes were (and still are) ridiculously sized. This was roughly when across the course shooters starting taking real notice of the ratgun, and options were Colt, Bushmaster, or 'other'.

At that point in time, DPMS did not have a good name. Their goods were sloppy and hole placement was often very badly done which made most trigger kits malfunction. My shooting buddy could never get his Jewell trigger working in a DPMS lower. At that time, I put DPMS in the same category as Olympic Arms etc...

I have no idea what their reputation is today, but I guess things can change. I've never had to deal with Bushmaster on any issue so I have no idea about that aspect.

I've got nothing against Bushmaster, but DPMS certainly puts out more products that cater to our game and the quality is as good or better (I think better). On top of that they put lots of their dollars into 3-gun. Whats not to like about these guys?

I'm a bit of a newbie and am about to buy my first AR - either a classic 20" A2 or 16" M4 A3. I want both so I figure whichever one I get, I'll just save up and the buy the other upper in the future. Anyway, my question is, if you had to choose between DPMS or Bushmaster, which would you choose? ... I've got to stretch my money as far as it will go basically. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

The BM will probably come with a chromelined barrel. The DPMS won't. If the rifle you get will double as a WTSHTF rifle I would take the chrome lining into consideration.

I have a BM lower. I don't know if they have changed it or not but the BM lower that I have does not work with certain Orlite magazines due to the beveling on the mag well of the lower. It isn't as pronounced as the other lowers in the market. The less aggressive cut makes it a little bit harder to reload.

If you get a 20" I would nix the A2 upper and spring for the A3. Unless of course you absolutely positively know you will be shooting Limited or Tactical Iron.

Fet a better trigger, slap on a compensator and an optic on a 20" A3 and you won't be that far from an "optimal" Tactical rifle.

So given your two choices and taking into consideration $$$... I'd buy a DPMS 20" with an A3. The A3 just gives you more options.

...given your two choices and taking into consideration $$$... I'd buy a DPMS 20" with an A3. The A3 just gives you more options.

Ditto. If $$$ are a big(ger) issue, a little cost savings can be had with ordering it with the FSB still in place then you're shopping for either a stand alone iron sight or a single optic and balance of money goes to ammo and practice.

As dollars become available, upgrade the trigger, sights/glass to whatever is more desired, add a compensator (or a better one), swap out the FSB for say a JP gas block (again giving you options), et. al.

Rich

FWIW, we had problems with both DPMS and Bushmaster rifles at my dept. The Bushmaster the carrier keys came loose and the guns went full auto when they weren't supposed to. The one DPMS that was used on duty malfunctioned after the first shot on an active shooter and was not able to be cleared before the next guy took the shot. The DPMS had worked great with the FMJ practice ammo, still does, but did not like the HP duty ammo. (lesson learned to test duty ammo).

As far as sponsorship, DPMS blows any other standard level AR manufacturer out of the water (That description does not include JP and possibly now Sabre Defence Industries). That said Bushmaster did sponsor the Area 1 Pistol Championship last year. Admittedly it was about 7% of what DPMS sponsored but they did get something to us.

If I were you I'd also take a look at Rock River Arms. Their stuff is a little more expensive (not much) but you get a 2 stage match trigger and a 1 MOA guarantee. I've sold 7-8 RRA rifles and everyone has been flawless.

Two reasons why people (on AR15.com) are anti-Bushmaster:

1) They are infamous for building guns and uppers with canted front sight bases.

2) They are infamous for telling the customer that as long as the rear sight has enough windage to zero, they won't fix it.

What's worse for them is I read somebody had a canted FSB on his DPMS and they apologized for it and fixed it.

BTW, I own a BM upper with a canted FSB.