Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Iron Sights For Ar 15

1911vm

Look at DPMS or Yankee Hill Machine. If you're going to shoot only iron sights, but that front sight tower as far towards the muzzle as you can. ;)

I like my YHM, ordered through Bushmaster. They are simple and work great I was initially contimplating going with the DPMS rear cause I think it sat back a little further on the reciever but I shot the YHM rear in a major match and did well so If it aint broke don't fix it. :)

http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/bmas/yhm-9360k.asp

http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/bmas/yhm-643k.asp

guns002bs0.jpg

guns004le1.jpg

guns005yx2.jpg

Edited by jbullgpd

I played with the YHM flip ups today on a ZM upper. Not bad, but having played with Erik Warren's limited rifle, the globe is definitely sweet. Especially for up close stuff. I can see though too where using a thin front post (like Cooley's) would be the heat too.

Rich

Here is what I shoot Limited with. Colt lower, old "shavetop" customized EA-15 upper with JP globe front and DPMS detacheable rear. OKO red dot co-witnesses the irons and is there for fun mostly. I put in a JP trigger kit I got off a prize table a few years back.

I had it built up way back in late 89 as a state of the current art IPSC AR by a local smith. The brake is custom and the rail is too. It weighs over 13lbs with the hefty aluminum handguard, heavy 1:9 bbl (1" under guard) and a pound or two of lead in the buttstock to smooth cycling (early LMOS). It holds like a rock, shoots like a house-afire (term stolen from kellyn), but moves like a bulldozer ;-) Still love it though.

ea15-convertible.jpg

Shawn Carlock built this gun I will post pic. As soon as I take them and figure out how to post them. I am going to use this for both tactical and limited but mostly iron sites. Thanks for every ones impute.

PS in both limited and tactical 223 is a minor so I can use a 9mm for handgun? Because all the scores will be minor or am I losing my mind. Just comfused.

Depends on the match. IMGA (SMM3G, RM3G, Iron Man, et. al.) it won't and the 9mm will do you well. In USPSA, you'll want to run a major pistol. If the match is scored as a "3-Gun Match" it's three seperate disciplines of rifle stages, pistol stages and shotgun stages. If the match is a "Mutl-Gun Match" then, you could have a pistol/shotgun stage and thus be minor 'cause of your pistol.

What I do. Right now, I primarily shoot Open but for arguments sake this will work. For USPSA matches, I just run my Open pistol since there's rare times we have to run with a loaded pistol and while I love my Ghost, it can sometimes be a little sketchy on retention (I need to either work on the holster or get a new one). For IMGA matches I hacked up a kydex holster to retain it, but will probably be building say an Open Glock for this purpose in 9mm and the occasional steel match should the mood strike me.

Rich

One thing you may want to consider is a JP globe front sight, and a precision rear sight, I am using an old Redfield International rear sight. Very accurate for the long distance targets. I also have a JP short range tactical sight for the close ones......and if the stage calls for it, I unscrew the aperature on the rear sight for more FOV.......seems to work for me....YMMV

As for 9mm.......I think that the 9mm SVI or STI for these 3 gun matches is the ticket for the tactical classes......what can you get, 24 rounds in a 140mm tube???

One thing you may want to consider is a JP globe front sight, and a precision rear sight, I am using an old Redfield International rear sight. Very accurate for the long distance targets.

Here it is!!! I love it..

Mike

post-6056-1165772136.jpg

post-6056-1165772155.jpg

Edited by mike_pinto

Mike,

I have an extra detachable carry handle. Figured I'd lop off the unnecessary stuff and make a fixed rear sight on a FT rifle. As for the front, I'm probably going to go with a flip-up but with a super narrow front post. Either this or the globe for sure with a similar reticle as you show, but probably with the little post in the bottom for the long shots.

When I get done playing Army and visit you and Kurt in the Sooner Nation (a.k.a. The Domain of Dr. Death Steve Williams!!!) I'll have to play with y'alls scope handicapped rifles and see what makes the most sense.

Rich

I went to school with "little Steve" in Colorado. He was a year behind me. Now for the big thread drift, why do they call him Dr. Death?? I know, and it comes from his high school wrestling days, but why?

Where are all these "cool" iron sight guns?? Me and Bruce and about 15 others are starting to feel a bit lonely. Let's start building this division again!! KURTM

Mine is the only 3 gun rifle I own, I just need time and money to shoot :) Irons all the way baby, the only way to shoot.

Mike

Where did you get that upper receiver?

I haven't seen such yet.

Is that milled A2 upper receiver or somekind of custom made?

It is a RRA Elite Ute2. They made it specifically to co-witness an Eotech. As my good friends in Northern Japan would say, I rike it arot.. :)

Mike

Look at DPMS or Yankee Hill Machine. If you're going to shoot only iron sights, but that front sight tower as far towards the muzzle as you can. ;)

I like my YHM, ordered through Bushmaster. They are simple and work great I was initially contimplating going with the DPMS rear cause I think it sat back a little further on the reciever but I shot the YHM rear in a major match and did well so If it aint broke don't fix it. :)

guns002bs0.jpg

guns004le1.jpg

guns005yx2.jpg

I love that front sight. What diameter is your barrel under that front sight. I would love to put that on my RRA AR-15 Coyote Rifle that uses a HBAR barrel. It didn't give a diameter on Bushmaster's website and I can't find that particular sight on YHM website.

Thanks

mcb

I love that front sight. What diameter is your barrel under that front sight. I would love to put that on my RRA AR-15 Coyote Rifle that uses a HBAR barrel. It didn't give a diameter on Bushmaster's website and I can't find that particular sight on YHM website.

Thanks

mcb

Not sure you would have to ask my smith, lol, but I found you can only order it directly from Bushmaster even though its made by YHM that is the only place i can find it. I know the smith said he had to put some lapping (sp?) compound on it along with small shim and locktite the allen screws, let just say it has bounced off a few props and hasn't moved, it might never come off :)

guns002bs0.jpg

guns004le1.jpg

guns005yx2.jpg

Thanks

mcb

The sight will clamp on to any standard h-bar barrel, anywhere between the gas block and the muzzle.

guns002bs0.jpg

guns004le1.jpg

guns005yx2.jpg

Thanks

mcb

is their any way you could take pic. of the sight pic. thanks

Unfortuantely no, lol. I have already packed up my long guns for transport. I am moving to NW Montana in about 3 weeks so I have already packed up all my competition stuff. It looks like a standard A2 front sight but flips down. I changed out the front sight post to a NM width but to be honest I was thinking about thin'n it out some more to help with the longer shots.

***Thread Drift***

Anyone know of any shooting clubs up by Kalispell, MT? Will need to definitely scratch my shooting itch once I get settled up there.