Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Speaking Of Dremel's

iweiny

The cordless ones are nice to an extent. IMO you are better off with a corded dremel though. The cordless ones are a little short on power, and the battery only dies when you need the tool. The corded tool with a flex shaft offers the most control for me, and is what I would recommend.

I don't think you can build a gun without a dremel tool...

fascinating,

I have a corded one with the flex tool. However, I have never really liked the flex tool... Although I have not tried it on my gun projects... ;) Perhaps next time I will try it.

Ira

Edited by iweiny

I prefer the corded version of the Dremel tool.

With the battery version I might try to destroy something while at the range. With the corded version I can destroy anything I want in the privacy of my garage and hide the results in the gun safe, under the work bench, or in the trash can wrapped in old newspapers (depending on the extent of the lunacy achieved). :(

I prefer the corded version of the Dremel tool.

With the battery version I might try to destroy something while at the range. With the corded version I can destroy anything I want in the privacy of my garage and hide the results in the gun safe, under the work bench, or in the trash can wrapped in old newspapers (depending on the extent of the lunacy achieved). :(

I love the honesty ;)

The flex tool is a must have for everyone. From the pro's all the way down to the beginner's. Take care of your flex tool and it will last you a long time. For the beginners, that means cleaning it after every use.

Now I'm not sure how Flexmonkey broke his but I have at times ran my flex tool pretty hard. Don't be afraid to stick in there and grind it around. They can take a lot more abuse than some think.

Heck my wife bought her one of those imitation flex tools. We'll see how long that one last. :unsure::)

I don't want to spoil your fun with the FlexTool but I was glad to see this thread because I have been looking for an alternative to the Dremel for work on Glocks and other types of plastic.

I have scores of metal working tools including a huge pile of files and I have a bucket full of body working tools. What I am looking for is shaping tools similar to what we use to work body filler only smaller.

Anyone have any sources?

Thanks,

David C

I don't want to spoil your fun with the FlexTool but I was glad to see this thread because I have been looking for an alternative to the Dremel for work on Glocks and other types of plastic.

A gunsmith in Oklahoma told me he does all his Glock custom work with a bic lighter and a razor blade. Don't want to give this guy a Dremel for Christmas. :)

Guys,

As an alternative to Dremel, you might consider Foredom. It is a flex shaft drill generally used in jewelrymaking. The motor hangs on a hook or stand. The flex shaft and handpiece hang off the motor. You control motor speed via foot pedal. It's quite good.

http://www.foredom.com

Liota

Love mine....Makes a Dremel look pretty anemic.. ;)

Yep Im talking about polishing or anything else with a dremel in a mag

I use pieces of plastic flats 3/16 and 1/4 thick cut in various deminsions

to fit inside mags about a foot long from 150 grit

to 1500 grit, i wrap and tape in place strips on this flats and polish with

an in and out motion In the mag. Polishing with a dremel even if you use light compound

doesnt work as good as my method. The swirls created by the dremel will

gather dust and grit and the rotation of the bullets will start a scracthing

process that is detramental to the mags operation.Couple times a year

you use 1500 grit for a few passes and the luster comes back.

And with my method you can see high and low spots and use body

hammers and lightly tap them out with a body shoe and the hammer.

I stress lightly.

When I weld on a mag I try to use files that I set aside just for mags to

take down the high spots.I do use a foredom on real high spots but

the last thing I do is the emory paper treatment.

Jim

Sailors ;):wub:

Guys,

As an alternative to Dremel, you might consider Foredom. It is a flex shaft drill generally used in jewelrymaking. The motor hangs on a hook or stand. The flex shaft and handpiece hang off the motor. You control motor speed via foot pedal. It's quite good.

http://www.foredom.com

Liota

Love mine....Makes a Dremel look pretty anemic.. ;)

I wouldn't know what to do without my Foredom. Hanging or bench model work great especially coupled with the foot pedal for speed control.